The Forex Portfolio - How to Gain Consistent Profits by Staying in the Market 24/7

I’m taking into action an adapted version of this method (some small variations) and in spite of not having a big enough sample of orders I’m identifying some problems/errors that I have. By the way, I’m using Daily charts to get the entry signals.

The one that concerns me more is the exit. Normally my entries are ok, most of them go green from the beginning, but the exits are a different story. Sometimes they turn from green to red after a while, and sometimes I close the order in profits but leaving too much on the table, for instance 1/3 as it happened with one trade that I had that reached +200pips and was closed at +140pips.

I think the problem is that I’m looking for an exit signal on the daily chart. Now I’m changing that and I look for the exit signal on the H4 chart. Many things can happen in 24h.

So what I’m doing now is to look for entry signals on daily close for all the pairs just once a day, and I look two or three times for exit signals on H4 only for the pairs that have an order running.

Let’s see how this approach works.

@mastergunner99

Great thread. So you strictly only look at the daily chart?

Not much movement in the thread lately. Let me write down some impressions.

I think it wasn’t a good idea to go down to H4 charts. I’ve been moving one step forward and one step back since I started using H4 and I’ve been winning and losing with literally no progress. What happened here? I spotted some mistakes. Let’s try to summarize:

• First of all I can not fully monitor the charts in the H4 frame because I have a job. There are 6 bar closes per day and I can’t be awake or available for all of them. I lost good signals at some moments I wasn’t monitoring.
  • It became a bit tiring (I wouldn’t say stressing), having to (or trying to) monitor all the pairs multiple times a day. Not funny anymore. So I guess at some points I wasn’t focused completely.
  • A bit of noise/fake signals. I’m no sure if I can use the term “noise” in such a big time period like H4 but I got several fake signals. My sample of trades in both D1 and H4 are not that big but I would say that I got less fake signals in D1.

I don’t know if I should try to finish the month on H4 or just directly continue from today on D1. Most probably the second option.

I spoke in my quoted post that in D1 I was leaving too late the trade leaving too much on the table, but on H4 I’m a bit overloaded and finding fake signals. My conclusion is that I go back to D1 and still have to work on my exits. Maybe I just could try to use H4 only for the exits on my open trades.

Hi all. I’m here again after a while. I had a pretty busy year and I was out of trading most of the time.

Recently I took again my trading and it seems that a big pause just to forget almost everything is good for trading.

It had been 2 weeks since I started again my trading and that left me with a nice 20 percent without exceeding a 2 percent risk on any trade.

I placed on my brain a milestone: to trade profitable until I recover all the losses and then double my account. This must be before I decide to add more money.

I’m trading the 28 pairs in daily view looking for price action on clear support and resistance levels that happen to be also 50 percent retraces.

I’m setting targets of 3 times risk instead of letting them run and I’m adjusting stops when I see price action that makes me doubt about continuation.

I will wait for a month to see if I can continue like this or it is that I got lucky and got only trending pairs.

See you!

My 2 cent: My current positions as of this morning are: BUY EURUSD, GBPJPY, EURAUD. SELL AUDNZD, USDCHF, EURGBP. Weekly timeframes, wish i had the full 24-28 pairs but these are the only ones i could see to do at the moment.

Mine are like yours
Longs:
EURUSD
NZDJPY
NZDUSD
AUDJPY
NZDCAD
GBPCHF
EURNZD

Shorts:
AUDUSD
AUDCAD
NZDCHF
CADCHF
EURCHF

Updated:

Longs:
EURAUD
EURJPY
USDJPY
GBPAUD
CHFJPY

Shorts:
AUDNZD
USDCHF
AUDUSD
AUDCAD

So mainly against AUD and JPY

Hi all,

Just wanna pop in to introduce myself! I’m a super duper newbie that have spent the past year reading everything I can get my hands on, much of it I believe was the back bone I needed to start understanding this endless well of infinite wisdom.

I have finally finished reading all the 123 pages of this post in a week, really fascinating and refreshing! I like this methodology and I have started proving it to myself that this actually works on a demo account. I thank you MasterGunner99 for this post, and other contributors especially to - Clint, Medisoft, Sweet Pip, I really learnt a lot!
Also to D-Pip and Sstnod, hope you guys can come back too, really enjoyed your insights!

Only guttered that I just saw this after it quietened down nearly a year down the track, hope it can keep going or perhaps the continuance of this post be shifted to somewhere else?

Anyways, I will re-read much of this again and copy you Medi if you don’t mind, to learn and post my daily journals on this thread in hope that we can continue this thread!!

Anyhow, Merry Christmas all n Happy New Year if I don’t post my analyses before then!

PipUp

Hi all…pip up!
The last 3 weeks I have been reading and digesting this thread, methodology. This has grabbed me like nothing else has. This is what fits my personality. I have come out of solitary and finally found my strategy, (that fits my lifestyle and liking). This weekend I wrapped up my plan, and now going to watch what happens, without any interventions. I would like to share it.
I agree with you pipUp…special thanks goes to Mastergunner, Clint, Medisoft, and the others. The material in here is so rich! It’s what you do with it that makes the difference.
I’m so curious to hear what the results have been trading with this methodology lately. Because there are soooo many trending pairs lately.
If there’s any quote that sticks in my mind it’s this…" IF THERE’S A TREND, I’M IN IT ". From the mastergunner. This is cornerstone of my trading strategy. Coupled with that I have a knack of putting things into perspective, (I find myself doing that in life).
It is an artform and a science figuring out the trending pairs. I have running data on all the 28 pairs of : who’s trending, for how many days, what legs their presently on, and monitoring the changes from trending to ranging. This is all very fun for me.
I hope to hear from all of you.
I’m on the journey.
Thanks for listening.

Edit.

As a result, I’m able to capture all of the trends. If you ever see a lengthy trend in the markets, I was in it. That’s what I hold out for. Large pip movements. I’m not trying to get 10 or 20 pips. That requires too much work for too much risk and it takes too much time. [/QUOTE]

Sorry, this is the quote that brought me in.
Thanks Mastergunner.

i love you MasterGunner. just reading your thread made me more patient and i earn 800+ pips on longing USDJPY and 500+ pips on shorting eurgbp. this is a grreat feeling.

Hi Clint and everybody else (MasterGunner99, Medisoft, Sweet Pip, d-pip, sstnod and Mike Wolski)!

Before all else, thank you very very much for everything you have posted here and contributed, it really helps me understand and is a fantastic eye opener.

I’ve got a question for you(s)~

Recently I have tried, in demo, a few of the methods other traders have suggested in this thread -
d-pip’s previous weekly bullish/bearish candlesticks and the 3 ducks system.
They are profitable at first, but my results never seem as appealing as the ones posted here. I am unfamiliar with fibonacci, but seeing the amount of times it has popped up here, I do believe that drawing fibonacci and drawing channels are really important!

I have been going to many youtube links and articles trying to understand the proper way - or at least the most widely used way for drawing both, however most of the answers received are somewhat inconsistent.

I am having real trouble distinguishing swings high swing lows from fakeouts. In addition, is it plausible to draw it in a range or a triangle?

Might you have any books/online e-books/articles/youtube videos that you can recommend reading/watching?

Many thanks in advance!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all!

PipUp :57:

Hi folks!

A newbie on board here - currently reading through the entire thread so I can catch and learn as much as I can (currently on page 50). I really recommend doing so to others as well because the discussion back and forth really adds more to the conversation rather than just MG’s posts (not to discredit him for such an awesome thread so far).

I’ve just closed off a bunch of trades and made a 1% profit on my starting capital (I’m pretty happy with this - keep in mind I just started live trading 12th Dec and I’ve tried to adopt this price-action method from the beginning).

Hi guys! Ivanic…Pipupartist…Croooner.
Thanks for chiming in!
I know not much has been happening on this thread the latter part of this year. But, like you guys, when I read it 3 weeks ago, I just knew this is what I’ve been looking for. I’m just a little bummed we don’t see the big dogs dropping in.
I’ll tell you what fascinates me about this methodology. It’s looking at the market as a whole, like MG said. Couple with that, just simply following a trend, in the big scheme of things. And I just love the whole correlation aspect, which, from a birds eye view you cannot deny. But, my entries all have to do with trending regardless who’s correlated or not.
This, as we all know, is not a particular strategy, but a methodology which gives us the liberty to structure our own plan the way we want…just with some parameters.
Well, I just want to say that I’m very excited about my new strategy, formulated from this methodology.
I do check this thread everyday, and hope to join with others who have a similar style.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Mike

It’s good to see this thread reactivated, I think there is definitely some value here.
I just wanted to write a recap of my last few months, since I pretty much adopted this methodology at the start of the thread.

Like many of the guys that have recently stumbled upon this thread, I was excited and felt it was a very refreshing way to look at trading. Most of all, I felt that it fit me as a trader and my life. Like many of you have pointed out, this is not a system, and there are no real rules… It’s just a way to look at trading and the market. Each trader will have to make it his or her own and find a way to develop an edge so that it can be profitable. This is what I’ve been trying to work out since the start, and believe me when I say it’s not that easy. Also, I suspect that this is the reason for the lack of continuity from most of the original traders… Medi, as far as I can tell, being the only one still around. This does not mean that there is no value here, it just means it’s hard.

My personal experience with the methodology was not being able to break out into consistent profit, and basically finding that over long periods of time I was breaking even or even at a slight loss. This is not a terrible thing, and I always felt I was just one tweak away from breaking out into profit. I found it difficult to manage trades, and winning periods would be followed by loosing periods. The market, in my opinion, has a mind of it’s own and does not give a poop about indicators, PA patterns, FIBOs or S/R lines… it even disrespects the mighty TREND. Now I guess that I might get some flack for having said that, but I should not… specially from believers in this methodology.

Having said this, I now feel strange and uncomfortable… as I’ve managed to consistently be profitable week after week and I have the certainty that I’m not going to give it back to the market when it decides to swing the other way. Almost 5 weeks with my latest version and I’m currently close to 70% profit… the current week is not finished, so it could change a bit. The impressive thing is that every week, fingers crossed for this one, has been a profitable week. My win/loss ratio is amazing (70-80%) and my average (pips) win vs. loss are also quite nice. I had never experienced this until now, but it took some serious trial and error. I do understand that 5 weeks does not mean much, but it’s definitely a nice start.

I would like to publicly thank MG99 and Goldenmember for their individual, and extremely different perspective on Forex and how to trade. It was, after reading Goldenmember’s threads a couple of moths ago, that it all seemed to click for me. I recommend his threads to all of you. To be honest, I would say that I don’t trade like either of them, but I’ve been influenced by both.

In a nutshell, I trade off of the weekly charts and place my trades at the open of the new candle, closing them near the close of the candle… no weekend carries. My bias is determined by the most recent candles, or what some might call short term trends and I ignore price action signals (reversal and continuation). No stop loss on trades (I do have an account stop loss that I adjust to make sure that I don’t loose my shirt in case world war 3 breaks out mid week). No profit targets (I just close ALL on friday evening) It’s all very stress free, and compatible with a full time job… I can enter my trades in 15 to 30 min on sunday night and close them in .1 sec. on friday evening. I am now trying to get my per trade amount fine tuned, as I end up in more trades than MG99 averaged. Like any trading method, you still have to manage risk.

I will keep you guys posted on progress… I just wanted to add some real live trading stats and encourage you guys to make the methodology a personal one.

Best of luck to you guys.

Here’s a long over due up-date.

For a while I demo traded the 20+ pair portfolio concept, even tried a few weeks with real money trading “pocket-change” sized positions.

[B]BUT… [/B] I couldn’t get comfortable with the risk-reward issue, more to the point the lack of risk control for who knows how much reward.

Here’s a quote of my second or third post on this thread, apparently I was shaky with the P&L swings right from the get go.

If you’re trading a demo or with pocket-change large P&L swings are okay, but if your playing for “meaningful stakes” with a big pile of real cash, IMO it’s important to keep the risk locked down pretty tight, you’ll sleep better too!

So instead of attempting to trade a whole 20+ pair portfolio, I’d suggest you scan your 20-plus pairs but only trade the pairs that best meet your trading set-up strategy, start with 2 or 3 pairs and go slowly. And, have a [B]rock solid trading strategy[/B] with your risk per trade locked in.

Hi PipUp

Congratz for finding this thread.

Finding trending pairs is a tricky part for trading, if it would be easy, then everyone would be trend follower people.

I can tell you that there a many ways to know if a pair is trending or not, and none of them are perfect. Some use oscillators like RSI, Stoch, MACD. Some other use SMA, EMA and other types of moving averages, or maybe fractals.

The best way (for me) is trend lines or a >100 period SMA or LWMA and looking for higher highs and higher lows for uptrends.

You should practice this before trading a trending strategy. Ignore smaller swings. Bigger swings are better because they reflect more price moves, but are sloooower and require more patience.

For example, the markets has been in range trading for maybe 2-3 months, and it is since December when they started moving again in trends, and now there are lots of them trending.

The best trades are when the pair are trending nice. When you see clear swings that respect previous S/R, then you can trust they more than noiser, ugly swings, and you should be selective and choose clearer trades, to improve the results.

That is easier said than done, so do your best effort!

A quick update on the MG99M method - currently in 12 positions .

Worst trade at -110 pips and best one at +473 pips.

Net amount across all trades is currently +730 pips

Prior to entering another 10 trades tonight (I’m from Australia) I was only in 2 positions. To be honest I spent maybe 5-10 minutes looking at daily and 4 hourly charts to give me an idea of how I interpret the bias to be.

If there’s a chance for retracement, I’ll wait for that, otherwise I’ll just enter as my bias is telling me it will still move in the direction I want it to over the longer period.

We’ll see how it goes but I want to close some trades before the weekend so I’ll stay up a few more hours and see what I can bag and maybe what I’m happy to leave over the weekend.

Edit - I’m onto Page 92 and it seems like a few people are asking the same question - when does one exit a trade? My answer? Only when your bias changes. Disregard how much you are losing. Disregard your negative pip amounts. When bias changes, then you can get out - otherwise you rid yourself the chance of it crawling back.

Edit 2 - New York open has me down, but I think it’ll be hard for trading to go against all my bias’ on all trades. Here’s my current status. I’d imagine most of the losses would come back around by the time NY closes so I guess I’ll be holding onto some of these trades over the weekend. Hopefully I’m not wrong!

Hi guys. Mike here.
Well, I need to get a lot off my chest. Need feedback from people.
A few posts ago I was excited about my new strategy. And I stuck to it, for a week. I made a lot of pips, but then lost them all. And more. Definitely a problem with the exiting part.
I surely am getting closer to a really good strategy. At least I have my ground work laid. Working from the bottom up is coming together. I always seem to find things wrong and go back and rethink things. BUT not from the very bottom. I want to explain to you smart people out there where my thinking has been coming from and what I’ve been tweeking.
(This is the only place in baby pips where I think is the best place to talk about this). It’s because of this thread that caused me to wake up to my kind of trading.
Ok, here we go.
The last strategy I went with was fundamentally grounded in the TREND. So, I came up with a system to find who’s trending. I looked at the top 8 currencies. I had notes on who’s trending, (it wasn’t a long term, short term, just simply trending on the daily charts), how many legs trending, and the whole goal was to ride as many legs as possible. The plan was to stay in till the trend was broken, and hopefully it was past the previous leg. Well, according to the plan, I just stay in till the trend was broken. I was up hundreds of pips. Basket of pairs going. Also I only went with a micro lot on each. But, then I would see the pips just diminish and could not get out because the trend was not broken yet. Basically I was only exiting trades when the trend was being broken, and not getting up to another leg. Losing money only. Maybe that’s just what the market has been doing lately, so I just scraped that and got to thinking.
I kept these ideas, for my ground work.
I want to trade economies. That would mean a basket of currencies. When the AUD is going down, it’s being pummeled by everyone. Another basket would be the commodity currencies; AUD, NZD, CAD.
Instead of fundamentally looking at trends, I want to trade…STRENGTH. So, I now have this as the fundamental thinking behind all my trades. I will be in with whoever is the strongest. And beating up on whoever is the weakest. You have longer term trades and shorter term ones. And I haven’t thrown out the trend thing, by any means. I have revised that aspect in my stats. I have broken that into 2 different parts. I have the long term trend and the short term trend. Weekly and daily respectively. That helps me find who’s stronger to who’s weaker.
So, if you would see my daily and weekly notes, you would find 3 major stats; who’s trending long term, who’s trending short term, and the daily up and down days. This is with the 8 currencies, 28 pairs.
And just because someone is trending in the long term doesn’t necessarily mean their the strongest today or tomorrow. Like the CAD has showed some strength last week.
I’m not trying to guess what’s gonna happen today or tomorrow, but I am developing stats to give me a slight advantage on who’s temporarily stronger in the short term. Just so I can get in and pull out some pips. Oh…yes…and to get out whenever I have made some money. (instead of watching the money go right back where it came from).
I do have a lot of refinement to do, but, like I said, this is the way I think is best for me. Plus it only makes sense. Doesn’t it? I did make an adjustment on my position sizing. Just a mico lot, 1k units, is not enough! Like this week…I made 542.8 pips, but that only made me $46.49. So, I’m gonna beef that up to 2k lots. And, I did, this morning. Got lucky, but I made the point to myself…I made 98.2 pips which turned out to $22.20. What a big difference.
So, anyway, I hope someone understands what I’ve been up to here. I like to see the market as a whole. If anyone can tell me a different way to go come about it, please do!!
I do look at the news, and throw that in the mix.
So, like you all like to do, having a strict trading plan, this is mine so far…get in with who’s strong, grab some $ and reassess. I’m working on the daily and weekly time frames. Which is being in a trade from a day to a couple days, so far.
Please… anyone smart out there…I need some input.
Thanks for listening.
Mike

Positions:

BUY: $GBPNZD, $EURAUD, $USDJPY, $GBPJPY, $EURJPY, $EURUSD
SELL : $AUDUSD, $EURGBP x2, $AUDCAD, $USDCHF