The hour between dog and wolf

Usually I don’t rely on the mass media for useful information on markets or trading. But, sometimes a tv program, or a magazine article, will pleasantly surprise me, with facts or insights that I think are worth mentioning.

Here’s a good article from the July 9 issue of [I][B]Time[/B][/I] magazine, on the role of testosterone in trading success [B]and[/B] failure:

Risk Factor
By John Coates Monday, July 09, 2012

Every so often we read of a star trader who lost so much money that he gave back all the profits he made over several years and shook his bank to its foundations. How does this happen? Were the bank’s risk managers mistaken about this trader’s skill?

Maybe. But recent research suggests an alternative explanation–that the winning streak changed the trader. Human biology can help explain what drives traders to acts of folly.

When we take on risk, including financial risk, we don’t just think about it; we also prepare for it physically. Body and brain fuse as a single functioning unit. Consider what happens on the trading floor when news flashes across the wire. Traders’ senses are placed on high alert. Breathing accelerates; a thumping heart gears up for action. Muscles tense, stomachs knot, and sweating begins, a sign of anticipatory cooling. We do not regard information as computers do, dispassionately. We register it physically.

My colleagues at the University of Cambridge and I have conducted a series of experiments on London trading floors and found that during a winning streak, our biology can overreact and our risk taking can become pathological. When males enter competition, their testosterone levels surge, increasing their hemoglobin and hence their blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, and in the brain increasing their confidence and appetite for risk. The winner emerges with even higher levels of testosterone, and this heightens his chances of winning yet again, leading to a positive feedback loop known in animal behavior as the winner effect. For athletes preparing to compete, traders buying risky assets or even politicians gearing up for an election, this is a moment of transformation, what the French in the Middle Ages called “the hour between dog and wolf.”

At some point in this upward spiral of testosterone and victory, however, judgment becomes impaired. Effective risk taking morphs into overconfidence, and traders on a winning streak may take on positions of ever increasing size with ever worsening risk-reward trade-offs.

What happens to traders’ biology if these positions blow up? Their stress response goes into overdrive. The uncertainty people feel during a crisis can raise stress hormones and promote feelings of anxiety, a selective recall of disturbing memories and a tendency to find danger where none exists. The stress response may foster irrational risk aversion, impairing a person’s ability to manage positions taken on in more optimistic times.

In short, traders’ biology may cause them to take too much risk when on a winning streak and then too little when the market needs it most during a crisis. Risk managers at banks need to understand this biology. The statistical tools they rely on cannot catch the subterranean shifts taking place in their traders’ risk appetite.

Risk managers could, however, learn from sports scientists how to spot and manage exuberance, fatigue and stress. They may have to manage their traders much as coaches manage their athletes. And that means occasionally pulling them off the field until their biology resets.

Coates, a research fellow at the University of Cambridge, was a trader at Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank. He is the author of [I]The Hour Between Dog and Wolf[/I]

I think it’s interesting to note that this is not new research. The Coates article in [I]Time[/I] is new, but he is reporting on research which he and his colleagues did at least 4 years ago. I posted a link to a similar ARTICLE in one of Tymen’s threads over 3 years ago.

Oh, now I get it — Coates has recently written a book on this subject, and his book needs some publicity!

Well, anyway, these two articles, taken together, paint an interesting picture of what sometimes powers trading success, and also sabotages it!

On a related topic, I’m a fan of Dr. Janice Dorn, [I]The Trading Doctor.[/I] Her work on the “trading brain” is worth following, and she has the credentials (M.D., Ph.D, and about 15 years of commodity trading experience) to make her voice credible.

Dr. Dorn talks about the “old” limbic portion of the brain, which is hormone-driven, and the seat of emotions; and the “new” neocortical portion of the brain, where rational thought takes place. She talks often about dopamine and the reward-centers of the brain, but almost never about testosterone.

Yet, I believe that Dr. Coates’ conclusions about testosterone are as valid as Dr. Dorn’s conclusions about dopamine. I’d like to see how their separate views tie together.

The .pdf which I previously tried, and failed, to attach to this post is Janice Dorn’s article [I]This is Your Brain on Trading.[/I] It basically outlines how (1) market conditions trigger physical reactions, hormonal responses and emotions in the limbic portion of the brain, and then (2) how the rational (neocortical) portion of the brain controls and regulates those reactions and responses.

I’m still working on attaching that .pdf.

In the meantime, here’s a SAMPLE of Dr. Janice Dorn’s teaching on another aspect of trading: patience vs. the need to be in the market.

1 Like

Interesting article, and it brought to mind something I saw on Nova a while back.

Take an hour and watch this. It puts the science behind the concept of competition leading to bad decisions, as well as showing some real time experiments that are eye opening.

1 Like

Attached below is the Janice Dorn .pdf This is Your Brain on Trading, which I mentioned in my previous post.

The difficulty I was having attaching it earlier was evidently caused by some sort of problem in my Adobe Reader, which has now been repaired.

Dorn - This Is Your Brain On Trading.pdf (271 KB)

Explains one of the things that amazes me… that is “Why do people close winning trades so quickly and not wait for larger profit.”

Excellent stuff. I gotta get his book somewhere.
Risk Management and Trading Psychology are 95% what made me successful and profitable in forex, fund management, and money management.
Overcoming self doubt… or better yet knowing what is real and having the courage and confidence to act upon it and wait.
Master your unconscious, “primal” urges.
Do what is uncomfortable for you to do, because everyone who loses is more time than not is doing what is comfortable too often.
“Overcoming Self Doubt” (ideas from here)

See my track record at:
https://www.myfxbook.com/members/OutsideTheBoxHK/outside-box-master-account/2087437