THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - Part 2

Which Trading platform are you using?

Another Option, Demonwarp, is to paste your screenshot in MS Word and use the drawing tools to do your highlights, you can easily adjust the properties of drawing objects by setting fill color to none.

Simone

Open Paint then under View make sure that you have the colour box, status bar and tool box all ticked (visible).

To get a transparent oval, simply click Image on the Menu, then untick the “draw opaque” option (at bottom of list).

This is Windows XP but I don’t think they changed anything in Vista.

Now you understand how to do the circles.
So to fill one you click the paint tin icon on the tool box (not the spray can).

Make sure you click the appropriate colour.

You can also enlarge your chart (drawing) by clicking view/zoom/large size.
To return go view/zoom/normal size.

You can have a lot of fun with the Paint program.
You should play around with all the icons for a while till you get used to it.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I have been through the pipsology sch many times but still i cant quite make use of the candle sticks, pls advise on how best i can use them and other indicators to trade with minimal loses

Go here and read…

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/18016-most-important-post-joy-candlestick-trading.html#post75769

[B]I now wish to use some sample charts to show why trading Starc bands on their own on a 5 minute chart is fraught with danger and should not be attempted.[/B]

It must firstly be understood that candle patterns on a 5 minute chart have very little reliability.
The reliability of patterns increases with the longer time frames.
For example, a pattern on a daily chart is much more reliable than one on a 1 hour chart.

Down to 20 minutes is about the limit of reliability.

[B]Here is a 5 minute starc band chart in progress of USD/CHF (Swissy)[/B] >>>

By tymen1 at 2009-04-14

Ignore all the labels except the pink one for the moment.

You can see that the starc bands are going up.
If you were only trading starc bands, then you would want to get in here with a long trade.
You would enter long at the lower 0.7 line or better and then hope for the price action to go up.

But where to exit?

Now what about the blue labels.
Well, they relate to a candlestick pattern on a 30 minute main chart.

[B]Lets progress further…[/B]

[B]Here is further progress with the 5 minute chart [/B] >>>

By tymen1 at 2009-04-14

The starc band trader appears to be making a profit.

The candlestick pattern trader seems to have it all wrong.
He enters short at the upper 0.7 line.

What is going on here?? :confused: :confused:

[B]Surprise[/B] :smiley:

>>>

By tymen1 at 2009-04-14

The candlestick trader had it correct after all. :smiley:

The Starc bands go down again and both types of traders make virtually nothing on this trade.

The difference is that the candlestick pattern trader [U]knew this was likely to happen and could have chosen not to trade this one.[/U]
On the other hand, the starc band trader is trading blind.

[B]Now how does the candlestick trader know about this starc band movement in advance? [/B] :confused:

[B]For the answer see next post.[/B]

[B]Here is the answer to the whole matter[/B] >>>

By tymen1 at 2009-04-14

The candlestick trader is looking at a 30 minute main chart.

By examining this, he sees an evening star pattern dictating a short trade.
But the Bollinger bands are expanding and the price action is walking the upper band.

As a result, the price action is expected to go somewhat level after the pattern, then probably resume its upward movement.

A trade on this pattern would, at best, be a quick sniper action taking out very few pips indeed.
More like blood out of a stone.

As you can see, all these predictions came true in the 5 minute charts.

The candlestick trader was protected, in that he knew the odds were against him.
His trade is dictated by a main trend, shown on the main chart. (pink arrows).

On the other hand, the starc band trader has no idea what he is trading.

[B]It is like both are walking thro a forrest, but the candlstick trader has a map and knows where he is going.
The starc band trader has no map and he will soon be lost.[/B]

Hi Tymen,

Thanks for the clarifications! I have a few questions however:

1. My platform does not allow custom timeframes. I am stuck with 5,10,15,30,60,4H, daily. Is the 15M a definite NO NO! I would prefer this to the 30M.
  2. I would like to use the 15M, if not the 30M, as my main chart without scaling down to the 5M. Am I getting that correctly? So I would have the 1.0, 0.7 STARCS and BB on the chart and trade accordingly

Simone

Of these timeframes you can use the 15, 30…etc.
I take it you are using MT4.
The limited number of timeframes is a problem with MT4 - it is not properly suited to candlestick trading.
I use GFT Dealbook because it is probably the finest program out there for using candlesticks.

Last year when I was posting the 1st candlestick thread, timeframes became a big issue and many readers switched from MT4 to Dealbook.
Some of them are still on this forum today.

The 15 minute is very short but you may get away with it.

…as my main chart without scaling down to the 5M.

I do not understand what you mean here? :confused: :confused:

The 5 minute charts with the Starc bands are a necessary requirement of the Advanced level.

The Basic level uses only the main chart.
[U]This level should not be discredited - it is very powerful.[/U]

In the 2nd edition pdf file to come with the completed methods, I will deleting the Intermediate level.
The will be 2 levels - Standard using only the main charts with multiple amounts (contracts) and the Advanced level using the 5 minute Starc band charts alongside the main charts.

[B]This will then be my final work.[/B]

I don’t know if I have answered your question correctly.
I will need you to clarify.

MT4 users can use the “period converter” indicator (not really an indicator), so they can get whatever time frames they want. If anyone’s interested I can attach the mq4 file.

Yes Thanks Tymen, this clears up my questions. The platform I am using is VT Trader, so the timeframes are preset. Also I was used to trading the 5M timeframe so there is a serious patience struggle jumping to 20 or above, but I am trying to adjust.

Thanks again!

Simone

Hi Trem, I am using VT Trader so I am a bit stuck with these timeframes.

Thanks!
Simone

Good evening to Perth,

Tymen, I await the revised pdf with great anticipation.

But you wrote something about it being your final work. Oh no, you don’t get off that easy :), trading is always work in progress, so I’ll be happily waiting to read version number three as well in a year or so.

You’re a great resource here for new traders Tymen, in fact you’re a great resource to the entire forum. Keep up the good work!

Hi Simone,

You can always use MT4 for your analysis, and your VT Trader from your broker to do your trading. Simply download the MT4 from Metaquotes dot net. Quite a hassle yes, but you’ll get used to it. :slight_smile:

Thanks Trem,

I used to do that and it is not so easy. I am trading on two accounts with two screens so it may be a bit overwhelming. I am navigating ok with the 15M so far, so I will probably stick to that for now.

Thanks much!
Simone

Hi Tymen

Just wanted to add a post to say a big Thank You for all your hard work in sharing your thoughts on candlestick trading.

I’m using the advanced level as part of my trading plan, and it has had a massive positive effect on my trading.

I had read Nison’s two books on candlesticks prior to finding this thread, and as good as they are in explaining candlesticks, I have found your information to be more useful.

Keep up the great work

Neil

Thanks there Neil. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am trying hard to make this method a truely professional method that continues to produce pips consistantly and will do so in 5 years time.

Glad to hear that you are profiting from it.

More is yet to come. :slight_smile: