THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - Part 2

[B]That is the end of this series.[/B]

I will now summarize the [B]4 Starc band trading rules[/B] that we have gone through.

[U]Starc Band Trading Rules[/U]

[B]1)[/B] When trading [B]level[/B]…

Short entries upper 0.45, exits lower 0.45
Long entries lower 0.45, exits upper 0.45.

[B]2) [/B]When trading Starc [B]going up[/B]…

Long entries mid band, exits upper band.
Short entries - nil.

[B]3)[/B] When trading Starc [B]going down[/B]…

Short entries mid band, exits lower band.
Long entries - nil.

[B]4)[/B] [B]Bollinger band approaches[/B]…

Wait until direction of Starc band is clearly seen.
If Starc follows (co-linear with) Bollinger band, then get best entry and do not exit until Starc band breaks away from Bollinger.
If Starc band does not follow Bollinger band, then the above 3 rules are relevant.

These 4 rules set the minimum requirements.

If opportunity allows you to get better entries and exits, so much the better for your trade.
There will be many opportunities when your entries and exits are better than the minimum!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It is Friday.

There is much material here so far.

I will take a short break here so that readers can digest the material and post questions.

I will return next week.

Well after trying with these new settings it all makes more sense to me, in fact bollinger bands in the 5 minute chart is so useful, now I know why I lose some trades.

So far I hadn’t found how to print screen in mac, but know that I know I�ll try to post my charts, plus I’ll be getting personal feedback of my trades from the master!!

Are we talking about a three red rosellas pattern??. I know it’s still too soon and I have many questions but I know these questions are gonna be solved with time so I’ll be patient. It’s just that I’d like to see the main pattern.

Plus I’d like to know how many retraces do you recommend to trade. I’ve found that more than two can be risky sometimes but maybe that is because I don’t choose really good quality patterns.

It’d also be helpful if we can talk about risk reward ratio in the examples, I’d like to know how you manage it.

Thanks so much. Have a great weekend!!!

P.S. I hope I can see more classmates here! It’d be more interesting and a even more learning experience to us all.

Ah!!..you use a MacIntosh!
My brother uses them - reckons they are the best!!

Are we talking about a three red rosellas pattern??.

No!! This is a 5 minute chart and the patterns are on the Main charts.

Plus I’d like to know how many retraces do you recommend to trade.

That will depend on the format of the starc bands.

It’d also be helpful if we can talk about risk reward ratio in the examples, I’d like to know how you manage it.

This is yet to come.

P.S. I hope I can see more classmates here!

I agree with that wholeheartedly.
Then more input could be gained.

I am a little confused, how does this relate back to the 20-60m charts and the typical patterns? Do we find the pattern on the longer time frames, then play the 4 starc rules on the 5m?

Thanks,
Dale

Absolutely correct!!

You are not confused!! :slight_smile:

The candlestick patterns are on the main charts

20-60m charts
and if you were trading the Basic level that is all that you need.

The Intermediate level requires the 5 minute Starc band charts to do a good entry, then its back to the main charts.

The 5 minute Starc band charts really come into their own on the Advanced level.

Tymen,

In some of your old examples, you said that sometimes that the wick of the star is too long, hence placing the PCI stop loss 3 pips lower (for long) or higher (for short) isn’t necessary. My questions:
[ol]
[li]How long is too long?
[/li][li]Suppose the wick is too long, any hard rule on where we should place the PCI stop loss (eg. slash the wick in half)?
[/li][/ol]

Thanks!

Oh and one more question… or request rather…

In your original thread, aside from the evening star pattern, you also covered engulfing pattern in detail, as in you discussed how a quality engulfing pattern should be like, how the lower wick of the right candle should be lower than the lower wick of the left, etc. These are not mentioned in the Japanese candlestick URL you gave. I wonder whether you could also give the same treatment on other patterns. Thanks again.

There is a book called “Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques” by Steve Nison. That goes into detail about this, definitely worth a read and im sure tymen will agree.

Noted damo. Thanks.

Hi Tymen,

Good to see you back at it.

I took a bit of a break from the forum myself (Just working on my trading). Lucky I caught this thread before I missed too much.

Regarding that Candlestick book by Nison; definitely worth it, you could consider it your bible of sticks. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago. Another must read is Trading In the Zone by Mark Douglas.

So I’m definitely looking forward to what you have now.

[B]A difficult question Trem!![/B]

Basically you can see when a wick is too long - it looks quite abnormal in the chart of candles.

I will have to check a Bollinger band reading - it could be something greater than 3 standard deviations.

It will set your stop loss at an excessively high figure.
I suggest cutting it down by at least 1/3, and very long ones possibly in half.

The best thing I do here is wait until we see such a case then try to set some rigid parameters.
If you see such a case, just alert me to it and I will analyse it.

Abolutely do agree!! :slight_smile:

[B]Welcome back VulcanClassic!![/B] :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thought we had lost you there for a while!!

Glad you like the book by Steve Nison.
I also have Trading in the Zone - a must read and work through for successful trading.

I hope you get much out of this thread and grow into a very strong trader!!

Good news!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am working on simplifying the 4 Starc band rules and I think I may have it.

If this works we will be down to 2 rules (one really) and a much better starc band approach.

Sorry for the pun, but I will keep you posted!! :smiley:

A quick question for you tymen.
If you are trading a long pattern for example a Morning Doji Star.
The starc bands are heading up and we get our entry at the middle of the starc bands and everything is looking good for a few candles but then the bands turn level and then start heading downwards. Would you close the trade early and wait for the bands to start heading upwards again before getting back in the trade or would you just stay in the trade and hope it reverses itself and not hit the stoploss.

Hope this makes sense,
Cheers Damo

Yes I know that, my question is what was the candlestick pattern in the main timeframe.

Regards!

Judging from the shape of the Bollinger band, I would guess the same thing as you did, three red rosellas. I hope Tymen can confirm this.

[quote=“tymen1,post:84,topic:19032”]

That will depend on the format of the starc bands.[/QUOTE]
I think this also depends on whether on the main chart we are still under 7 candles away from the reversal/continuation pattern. After 7 candles, the pattern’s validity basically expires. I welcome any correction.

There are so many Candlestick patterns but people know only some of them and
Each one of these patterns have some qualities and they are useful as well but you have to know about them first…have a look to this URL…
Candlestick Patterns | Top 10 Best Patterns For Traders