THE JOY OF CANDLESTICK TRADING - Part 2

To [B]Wrtm_19[/B] :

[B]I am very interested in analysing your trade.[/B]

However, as I said, I am confused. :confused: :confused:

Which is which? (especially posts #111+112)

Which pattern were you trying to trade?
Where?

You must take the effort to label everything properly because we cannot assume to know automatically what you are referring to.

Please also post the whole chart, not clip part of it out.
Then place arrows etc where you enter and exit.

If you do that then we can quickly see what you are doing and make complete sense of it.

[B]Hope to see your reply soon.[/B]

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I see that many seek your advice.
Good to know that Dealbook doesnā€™t offer Donchian as I may choose that platform.

Couldnā€™t Bollinger bands really be said to also be probability channels/bands as they enclose about 90-95 of price action depending on what setting one would choose for the standard deviation?

Absolutely correct.

And that is why I chose them.
They fit well with candlesticks.

OK, I take it you traded this only a short while ago.

Being a 30 minute chart, I can look this up right now, together with the starc.

Since it is way past my bedtime I will make a screen print of it and save.
Then I can analyse it tomorrow.

I will however, need to know exactly your entry point.

Yes youā€™re right!. Trading, reading, studying, working, talking on the phone, eating, playing with my dog and posting all at the same time is not good!!!. Iā€™ll find the time to post properly, to focus in what I do and then and only then, I will ask. Iā€™ve re-read my last posts and itā€™s even confusing to me.

Regards!

If you have to choose between trading and playing with your dog, make sure trading comes second :slight_smile:

I agree. Trading is like riding a bike. When you first start, itā€™s exciting, it takes a lot of time, gives you bumps and bruises, and can be difficult. Yet, once you know how, you will never forget.

I like trading because it is one of few things in this world that can produce a moderate to substantial income without taking much of your time away once you know how.

So play with the dog, play with the kids, hug your mother, go fish with your dad, and kiss the wife. Those are what really makes life enjoyable.

Absolutely agreed!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And now to that trade by [B]Wrtm_19[/B]

Here is the main chart in full and the candlestick patten (evening star) that I believe you were trying to trade >>>

By tymen1 at 2009-03-05

A no no here, the BB is opening right up (trumpeting) or breaking out, and the price action is walking the upper band in a very strong trend.
Unless a second short pattern appeared, extreme caution is the correct action.

Now lets look at the relevant 5 minute Starc band chart >>>

By tymen1 at 2009-03-05

From you own thumbnails, I believe you were trying to go short where I have placed the black arrow.

We see that at this point the Starc bands are going up.

According to the Starc band rules, trading short is a NO TRADE when the bands are going up or long.

Therefore you should not really have been in this trade at all.
[B]
This is now verified by both the main and the 5 minute charts.[/B]

Tymen!! Thanks so much for your attention in answer my questions. So far I have so many doubts that I will be posting while I have the time to prepare my charts.

You know I see bollinger bands trumpeting everywhere and in every pattern that is formed, and everything looks the same to me. You know I have to digest all the information and become more critical. As I said before despite all my mistakes, unexperience and all my newbie characteristics (you name them), despite all of this Iā€™m still profitable (not as much as Iā€™d want I must say) and keeping myself in the game.

Hope to hear from you soon and looking forward for whatā€™s next!

Best Regards!

Soā€¦ this is one example I found and I trade myself. Itā€™s a 55min chart eur/usd. The candlestich pattern (highlighted in blue) I think the bollinger bands were trumpeting before, price was walking the bands, and for these characteristics I guess this is a no no trade, am I right??.

The second chart is the 5 minutes eur/usd chart with the starc bands. It corresponds to the main chart. I point with a circle the first retracement. I think itā€™s a valid entry since starc bands are heading up and Iā€™m looking to enter long right? But after that there was a further retracement where I coul have been done a better entry. (Actually there was where I made my entry) But where are talking about the rules right here.

So further retracements I guess theyā€™re not valid ones because starc bands are heading down right?

If my pattern was chosen wrong then I guess this was supposed to happen. But If I was right what rules apply here???

I hope my explanations to be ok. I obviously suck at photoshop:D, and advises in this matter are also welcome.

Thanks for your time!!!:wink:

I just saw my attached charts and theyā€™re too small. How do I make them bigger and how can I post them between pharagraphs.

I forgot to say that at the end the pattern worked very well and a profit was done, but was I lucky or I did things right?

Have a nice day!:slight_smile:

And now this pattern in the usd/cad one hour chart. It worked with few retracements before it hit my stop loss and then took its way down again.

What do you think of this pattern???

I am sorry Wrtm_19 but you really have to increase your chart magnification.
I cannot see anything on your charts - too small.

Find out how to set the size on Dealbook and set it to minimum = 40 and maximum = 70.
They are the sizes I use when my charts are posted.

Your second chart is in a file type not recognised by my computer.
Why did you not post the second chart as a thumbnail too?
You did so before!!

When you have the correct magnification, press print screen and send to Microsoft Paint.
Here you can edit the chart.
Then save to a file of your choice.

Then register (free service) at Photobucket (google it) and familiarise yourself with its workings.
Photobucket is a website where you upload and store pictures for downloading on forums later.
Try some test pictures to upload.

When posting on this forum, go to Photobucket and copy/paste the relevant picture script into your post.

The full size chart will then appear in your posts just like mine.

Just for now, the Starc bands will be used as I have posted them, together with the 4 rules.

Manning Stoller clearly knew what he was doing when he set the moving average at 6 periods!! :slight_smile:

I do not see us going back to a shorter moving average where the starc bands become excessive in their jerking up and down and we then do not know whether we are Arthur or Martha!!

Definite direction is needed in these starc bands.

However, I am researching the approaches to the Bollinger bands to get a simpler method here.

Hey Tymen, when you gave the parameters for a level starc band, do you still trade with the trend? AKA if there is 3 white soldiers and it levels outā€¦ do you just buy at the lower .45 and sell at the upper and wait for the cycle to repeat itself?

That is correct.

Never trade against the main chart candles.

If you did, you might as well scrap the main charts and just trade starc bands on 5 minute charts.

But we always trade in the direction given by the candle patterns in the main charts because that determines the main trend direction for our trade.

To make any trade the opposite way would be to go against the grain!! :eek: :eek: