The Panama Papers scandal

Law Firm’s Files Include Dozens of Companies and People
Blacklisted by U.S. Authorities

ICIJ Article

In this story

• 33 companies and people blacklisted by the U.S. government appear in Mossack Fonseca’s files

• Alleged terrorism and nuclear weapons financiers from the Middle East and North Korea, arms traders and backers of Syria’s barrel bombings found in files

• Mossack Fonseca employees repeatedly acknowledged failing to properly check blacklisted customers

Of course terrorists-related companies are involved in this mess. It would have been surprising if they weren’t. The whole mess is probably only set to expand even further.

Spies and Shadowy Allies Lurk in Secret With Help From Offshore Firm

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Spy chiefs, secret agents and alleged CIA contractors among those to use offshore companies

• Secret agents used offshore companies to, among other things, own golf courses

• Octopüssy, Goldfinger, SkyFall, GoldenEye, Moonraker among offshore company names used by Mossack Fonseca

Panama Papers Spark High-Level FIFA Resignation and Swiss Police Raid

ICIJ Article

Leaked Files Offer Many Clues To Offshore Dealings by Top Chinese

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Relatives of at least eight members of the top leadership of China’s Communist Party have offshore holdings

• So do China’s super wealthy business executives and kung fu star Jackie Chan

• Offshore companies incorporated in offices in China and Hong Kong account for 29 percent of Mossack Fonseca’s active companies worldwide

The Art of Secrecy

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Panama Papers provides unprecedented look at connection between international art trade and offshore secrecy

• Billionaire art dealers use offshore company to shield painting allegedly looted by Nazis

• Identity revealed of the man secretly behind the 20th century’s most important modern art auction

Global Joint Investigation To Be Proposed At Special Tax Meeting

ICIJ Article

British PM Announces New Transparency Measures
Following Panama Papers Revelations

ICIJ Article

If you are a newcomer to this Panama Papers scandal, this short video will give you an overview —

Panama Police Raid Mossack Fonseca As Global Fallout Continues

ICIJ Article

Pakistan’s PM Leaves Country, Spanish Minister Resigns

ICIJ Article

Frequently asked questions about ICIJ and the Panama Papers

ICIJ FAQ

Banks Ordered to Provide Info on Panama Dealings to NY Regulator

ICIJ Article

US Prosecutor Opens Investigation Into ‘Panama Papers Matters’

ICIJ Article

In my honest opinion, I hope this investigation goes somewhere but, I doubt that it will. What do you guys think?

I share your hope, and I partially share your doubt.

[B]On the positive side — [/B]

There is a lot of anger among the general citizenry of many countries, directed toward people and companies seen as evading taxes and/or laundering dirty money. Australia is one of those countries where the anger is intense.

Here’s a VIDEO of a recent Australian Broadcasting Corp. television program called [I]Four Corners[/I] (kind of like the PBS program [I]Frontline[/I] in the U.S.) which you might want to watch. It will probably reinforce the hope you referred to.

[B]On the negative side —[/B]

Regarding your doubt that anything will actually come of all this —

There is very good reason to question who is actually behind these leaked revelations, and what their hidden agenda might be.

Specifically, the two most prominent organizations involved in receiving, decrypting, sorting, and releasing the data hacked from Mossack Fonseca are [I]The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists[/I] (whose articles I have been posting in this thread), and the [I]Süddeutsche Zeitung[/I] (South German Newspaper). Both of these organizations have highly suspicious backers, funders, and/or affiliates. Red flags are raised.

More on this in a future post.

Also, only a tiny percentage of the total 2.6 terabytes of hacked data (11.5 million documents) has been made public, and the flow of new releases has slowed to a trickle. What are we to make of that?

Stay tuned.

Cartel-Linked Suspects Arrested After Panama Papers Revelations

ICIJ Article

Coming Soon: ICIJ to Release Panama Papers Offshore Companies Data

ICIJ Article

Excerpt:

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists will release on May 9 a searchable database with information on more than 200,000 offshore entities that are part of the Panama Papers investigation.

The database will likely be the largest ever release of secret offshore companies and the people behind them.

Iceland’s First Lady Linked to Offshore Investments

ICIJ Article

U.S. Officials React to Panama Papers Disclosures With Get-Tough Proposals

ICIJ Article