The Real Fundamental Analysis

And breakeven on EURGBP it is.

Mixed readings on inflation this morning but mostly dovish ECB minutes which hinted that the ECB was thinking of NOT raising rates at the July rate decision.

You can imagine how that in and of itself straight away lowers the likelihood that they hike in September.

If they considered NOT hiking rates in July and now since then the data in Europe has been softer… why would they hike in September?

So that thought process lowers the chances of another rate hike.

And so the EURGBP trade started as a bearish GBP view but now both the EUR and the GBP are fundamentally bearish so the pair will likely just chop around in a range below 0.86.

With that said…

Will update with the next trade.

Still no new solid trade recommendation to share here guys but here’s a bit of fundamental context to keep you in the right direction…

I’m pretty sure lots out there are trying to pick tops and bottoms across Dollar pairs and… that’s NOT the best move right now.

So this is well worth a share.

Alright, let me show you the current macro context

Here’s BofA with a good summary:

2023-09-07_09h42_421

That’s a fantatic snapshot of the current context around the Dollar.

And you can clearly see one thing…

Weakness in services PMIs pretty much everywhere except where?

The US.

This kinda says it all.

Best advice I can give right now is to NOT try to pick the top of this Dollar move.

The fundamental context continues to favor the ongoing bullish USD trend overall.

And to be a bit more detailed…

If you follow fundamentals regularly you will know that the theme right now resonates with the much debated “higher for longer”.

And that’s correct right now, but I would put it differently…

Higher for longer in the US than in the rest of the world”.

That’s a better way to frame the current sentiment.

But with that said…

Just a quick but important fundamental update for now.

Don’t fight the Dollar trend.

We might get some Dollar longs to take later this week.

For now just keep in mind…

FOMC rate decision on Wednesday.

Here’s a bit of useful commentary from Goldman Sachs for context heading into the event:

2023-09-18_10h06_05111

So?

So the FED will stay on hold at this meeting but they will likely keep the door open for another rate hike in November.

And that’s going to be further supportive for the Dollar.

Bloomberg on a similar note:

2023-09-18_11h39_48

Anyway…

Just a bit of further context to keep in mind.

Will update with more details if there’s anything interesting to take.

And that’s why having good sources to understand the fundamental context matters.

Decent Dollar strength was triggered by the FOMC yesterday.

Why?

Because yes they kept rates on hold, but decided to lower their projections for the number of rate cuts next year, while also keeping the door open for another rate hike in November if necessary.

Here’s Bloomberg yesterday:

2023-09-21_10h19_17

And a bit more today:

2023-09-21_10h17_19

Hawkish.

So with this in mind…

The fundamental context suggests a bit more Dollar strength ahead.

Good.

At the same time, on the technical side across most Dollar pairs like we can see some noticeable bearish price action with a BIG bearish engulfing on EURUSD and a BIG bearish pin bar on AUDUSD.

Both triggered by the FOMC so it gives the price action even more meaning because there is a real fundamental shift in sentiment creating the candle.

That’s meaningful.

Anyway…

That technical price action is also supportive for a bit more Dollar strength.

So now we have both fundamentals and technicals aligned in one direction.

And that’s the kind of trades that we love taking.

Now let’s make it practical…

Here’s an AUDUSD chart with an actionable trade plan:

And that’s all there is to say.

Technicals and fundamentals pointing in the same direction.

Target 0.6280.

When you understand the fundamental context behind the higher timeframe price action that’s where you understand things better by the way.

There’s price action, and there’s price action backed by fundamentals.

There’s a difference there.

So, when you see a pin bar, engulfing candles, or anything else.

The question to ask is…

What caused that?

If it’s just random then it might be just commercial flows, rebalancings, or other kinds of activities that are irrelevant to the overall sentiment and direction.

Almost false signals, so to speak.

But when there’s a noticeable price action formation that is backed by a fundamental event that FORMED that specific candlestick behavior, that’s when you know you are looking at an important candle.

And that’s where you know you can give more attention than usual.

Anyway…

I know there are a lot of technical and price action enthusiasts here so I thought this might be useful to share.

In simple…

Make sense of the price action with the fundamental context where you can.

Why did such and such bullish or bearish price action form?

The answer to that question gives you higher quality price action to follow and helps you filter out a lot of the false technical signals that misdirect you into the wrong trades.

1 Like

First targeted liquidity approaching…

Keep in mind, the trade here is already protected with stop loss at breakeven in case the sentiment shifts.

Unlikely, because currently the fundamental context strongly suggests further Dollar strength.

But you know…

Manage the trades wisely.

And by the way…

If you want a bit more details again on this ongoing Dollar trend.

See the post below…

The info on that post still holds true right now.

So if you want a bit more fundamental details on the overall context give that a read again.

First part of the move done…

Powell speaks later today so listening to make sure the fundamental context for the Dollar doesn’t shift.

While from a technical point of view it would be ideal to see the current daily candle close below the first liquidity level.

That would be a good technical confirmation for the next leg lower to the main targeted liquidity.

Could get interesting to short again for the same drill from the 0.65 resistance again…

Bears failed to hold that break below the first liquidity level yesterday and now squeezed back at breakeven.

Similarly if bulls fail the break of the 0.65 liquidity we probably get the same behavior but in reverse

Will see when it gets there.

Flat for now on AUDUSD.

Will update when there’s an opportunity to enter it again or when there’s another interesting trade.

Alright guys.

Keep in mind…

The fundamental sentiment for the Dollar might be near a turn.

Why?

Because the inflation measures from Friday support a more dovish FED going forward.

Here’s Bloomberg on the matter:

2023-10-02_09h22_24

2023-10-02_09h22_47

Don’t get me wrong…

That’s NOT necessarily a reason for the Dollar to dump from here.

No.

But it removes a reason for the Dollar to strengthen further.

And since the market is well loaded up on Dollar longs some of those positions might start to take profit causing a noticeable Dollar pullback.

Makes sense?

Awesome.

Anyway…

So far there’s nothing solid enough across the board from a technical point of view to put a trade on with USD shorts, but I will be keeping an eye on it…

If I see a setup to take action on or if the fundamental context changes, I will update again.

For now just keep in mind that the medium term context for the Dollar right now is slowly pivoting to a more bearish or just neutral sentiment.

There it is…

Long NZDUSD looks fairly good.

I like that fakeout below the lows which sets up for a nice squeeze higher to 0.6050 at least.

Will update if anything changes.

Super quick update guys…

Squared the NZDUSD longs in small profit ahead of the NFP.

There is a decent risk that the data today for the US prints better than consensus, so adjusting for that.

Plan was to have the trade at breakeven before the release but price is still too close to the entry point so just taking profit now and then will evaluate whether to jump long again right after the release or not, depending on the data itself.

1 Like

Dollar pullback ongoing.

And that’s where the fundamental context REALLY comes useful.

With the right context you can get the sense of whether a trend should continue or not.

And that puts you on the right side of the flow to get the right trades.

Anyway, with this said…

The CPI on Thursday might be the catalyst for some potential fresh sentiment to trade with.

Will update if there is anything interesting to take.

Alright, remember this?

Now notice EURUSD on the daily chart…

Big bearish engulfing.

Any fundamental shift behind that?

Yes.

CPI from the US today above consensus…

2023-10-12_16h40_28

So we have the fundamental context slightly back in favor of some Dollar strength as the recent inflation print is supportive of the idea of higher for longer in regards to US interest rates.

And at the same time now we have technical signals suggesting the same path with EURUSD which failed the break of the highs above 1.06 and printed a bearish engulfing on the daily chart.

Perfect.

Now let’s put this into practice:

Cool?

Cool.

Targeting near 1.0440.

If anything changes I will update.

Quick update guys…

EURUSD in particular is holding up better than anticipated but the Dollar overall across the board is doing pretty well, especially against commodity currencies.

Anyway, still looking for 1.0440 overall on EURUSD, but keep in mind…

The stop loss is already at breakeven on the USD longs.

Powell speaks later today.

He shouldn’t change much of the context but manage the trades anyway.

Will update if he says anything interesting.

Alright…

Fundamentally Powell yesterday was somewhat mixed.

Here’s Bloomberg on the matter:

2023-10-20_09h09_56

2023-10-20_09h16_44

You can see, there’s a bit of everything for both the hawks and the doves there.

I have to say tho…

Personally, I have perceived him slightly more on the hawkish side.

But with that said…

In this context, Dollar longs still look to be the right trade.

And technically EURUSD keeps on failing to break above that 1.06…

So we probably get another EURUSD short to take soon.

Will update with a chart if and when we see a clear trigger to position again.

Nothing on this yet guys.

Also EURUSD now looks fairly comfortable above 1.06.

So no action.

Will update when there’s a trade to take.

There it is…

I like how EURUSD failed to hold above the 1.0640 highs and it’s right back below now.

Also, anything fundamental that triggered this shift in sentiment today?

Yes, the weak PMIs from Europe this morning.

But anyway…

Here’s the chart so you can see exactly the kind of technical structure that I’m looking at:

Target near 1.0440.

1 Like

To add a bit more context.

Why is the Dollar strengthening?

But mostly…

Why should we expect the Dollar to strengthen even further?

There are a bunch of reasons.

But mostly…

2023-10-16_09h13_0211

That’s a small snippet from a note from Goldman Sachs and it explains the context fairly well.

The data in the US keeps on being incredibly resilient.

On the contrary to what is happening elsewhere, particularly in Europe.

And that in and of itself favors the Dollar.

For instance…

Look at the PMIs from Europe on Tuesday and the ones from the US on the same day.

What does that tell you?

The two economies are still diverging.

Softness in Europe continues and resilience in the US continues, so?

So EURUSD lower is the way for now.

Just keep in mind…

There’s the ECB rate decision today to keep an eye on.

They are done hiking and overall there shouldn’t be much impact on the EUR.

But that’s something to monitor anyway.

And either way…

The trade has already the stop loss at breakeven.

1 Like

Just took profits on the EURUSD shorts.

Nothing with the ECB or the latest US data itself to change the context but rather the price action across the board looks and feels like it wants to squeeze some late Dollar bulls.

So just adjusting to that.

Will update when anything new of interest shows up.