This Week's Question: What Financial Advice Would You Give Yourself at 18?

Also try save 50% of everything you earn

2 Likes

Compounding is amazing, good reply.

1 Like

Start learning about the market and start earning early.
Also, get life insurance for yourself.

Save every day and invest in Bitcoin! ahahaha

Put a small amount of money aside each month and never touch it untill highest emergency occurs

Hi @fxgrad - I agree its a great start in life to learn about the markets and get in there, but life insurance? I’ve heard this advice before - what do you mean by it though?

1. Don’t be afraid to fail. The fear of it all keeps you in a bubble, and you just exist… Failure teaches you some of your life’s most important lessons.

2. Make some outrageous goals for yourself and really try to make them come true. The journey to those goals will also teach you plenty.

3. “Get off your ass”/Just do it already

2 Likes

I would find a mentor to follow that has a proven and profitable system that aligns with my personality and trading style.

Hi,
This is a really good question, and most replies seem to recommend saving frugally and thinking of your old age. This is the last thing that is on the mind of an 18 year old, and so is irrelevant to the listener.

So here is what I told myself at the age of 18 and I wouldn’t have had my life any other way.

1 Never be a sheeple. Lead yourself and if necessary lead others. Go with your gut feeling and go after it hard. If you fail, it is your fault. If you succeed, it is your glory, and yours alone
2 Be humble, don’t show off, and be sensitive to others’ needs. Try not to be a big head when you are right, and admit you were wrong when you were wrong. There is nobody out there worth impressing other than yourself.
3 Work hard and play hard. You only have one life, so make the most of it.
4 Don’t regret the past. Look forward to the future
5 Never give up (or don’t let the ba**ards grind you down) - whichever version you prefer.
6 Buy quality goods and demand quality services. A fool knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

3 Likes

I so agree with you on this.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a young person out there right now reading all these answers. Taking it all in. Heeding all this wisdom, counsel, & experience being handed to them right now, in their laps. Thinking of and grasping the concept that time is on your side. Realizing that the choices they are about to make will make such a difference in the long run. On the one hand, how careful they need to be with their choices, but on the other, how daring they need to be in order to make a difference in this world.

If one person could realize all this (wisdom on this thread), and take the appropriate action, then they would benefit. The world will benefit. In the long run.

All we can do is hope for you.

From me.

Think very hard.
Find out who you are. Your gifts, talents, expertise. You really want to have that settled early on in life so that when you’re old (20 - 30 yrs down the road… :wink:) you will be the absolute best at it. Like…you want people to have to come to you for the expert opinion on whatever it is.

Be the boss, owner. There’s nothing better than that.

Get to know your Creator.

We’re all pulling for ya!
Mike

3 Likes

DO NOT GET A JOB ! Robert Kiyosaki says taking that first paycheck pretty much places one into a ( mental ) trap . Most of us know where he’s coming from .Had I been exposed to mentors of any sort , back in the 70s and 80s , life would have been very different !

That is a lot easier said than done. For the vast majority of people, a JOB is a necessary evil that not only allows some choice in life, but it forces a regimen required to be able to work for yourself simultaneously, and perhaps later exclusively without having to resort to a “job”. I have had a job (of sorts) all my working life, though in the past 30 years it has been as a contract consultant. The cash flow from a regular “job” has allowed me to increase unearned income from zero to a level that is almost self-sustaining, and I was technically bankrupt at the age of 33. Second life. I also think that life skills come from working alongside others. It has been said that you become like the five people you spend most of your time with. I don’t think I could be the best of company for just myself, and I value very much what I have learned from the people I have decided to spend most of my time with (the most important one being my wife)

Save more often learn more about investing. Simply put

Be careful who you marry :upside_down_face:
Invest early in the market and yourself.
Never stop learning
Enjoy the little things in life
Meet many diverse people
listen and learn from people older than you
Don’t buy stuff unless you a) need it b) can afford it

2 Likes

Priceless, and great advice. Problem is, both parties change as they get older. Who’s to blame? None and all.

2 Likes

I like this part. Two opposing thoughts, but if you can get them work together, the sky is the limit really.

Boy that’s a tough one. Unless you’re coming from money, I think it’s tough to learn new skills without a job to keep you maintaining, if even at the bare minimum. How would you make life work with no money, unless you mean find a job with flexibility?

Not only earn and spend, but also save!
Very important.

these are just golden words that I needed to hear

I think I should have married money.

2 Likes

Boy, if you actual love the person you married, and they’re from money, and they like to share, what a nice life!