Three Ducks Strategy - Realistic (SL, TP & Pips)

Forgive me, if I have posted this question in a completely different section, or if I’m using the wrong format to ask this question. :confused: I have been using Captain Currency’s Three Ducks Trading System over the past few weeks. The only issue I have with the strategy is that it doesn’t have any set targets to achieve or pips to get on a daily basis. As a beginner I make some pips and sell them thinking I’ve done well for the day. I wanted to ask the more experienced users of this strategy, reasonable targets (in terms of SL & TP) that I could be achieving with said strategy. P.S £100 account, risk is set at 1% with a lot size of usually 0.01 or smaller (if applicable). Thanks! :slight_smile:

One good thing about 3 Ducks is that as it helps identify trends, once you are into profit you can set a trailing stop allowing you to relax.
How far behind price you trail is up to you, play around with it until you find a level you are comfortable at

1 Like

Surely the Three Ducks isn’t a day-trading strategy?

Unless you’re withdrawing money each evening to spend the next day on your living expenses, you do not need to focus on a daily return. If you need to withdraw money daily, stop trading and get a job.

So essentially I should wait until I dive into profit and then I can play around with the numbers (adjust them to meet my goals). Thanks for the response!

As far as I’m aware the strategy is a day trading strategy, I don’t need to withdraw money daily, my question was geared to help me create a templates for Stop Loss, Take Profit etc when it comes to Three Ducks Strategy. Nevertheless, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Yes it is indeed a day-trading strategy. My mistake.

Sorry, I beg to differ. The 3 Ducks Trading System is not “a day-trading strategy”.

In a post back in January 2016 on Andy Perry’s thread, I replied to a question about using longer time-frames than the 4-hr, 1-hr, and 5-min time-frames on which Andy’s system is based.

The point of my post was that The 3 Ducks Trading System will put you into trades which might work out as day trades, or short-term trades, or swing trades, or position trades — depending on the market, and your ability to stay in sync with it

Here’s that post from 3 years ago --.

Andy Perry’s eBook, titled The 3 Ducks Trading System outlines his methodology for entering trades in the direction of the trend, without specifying a trading style (day trader, swing trader, etc.).

A trader’s style is his own choice. Furthermore, stop-loss placement, profit targets, and every other aspect of trade design and management are similarly each trader’s personal choices. The 3 Ducks System does not specify these things.

Here are Andy Perry’s notes from page 12 of his eBook. (I have added the bold type for emphasis.)

"Every trader is different – some traders like to try and take small frequent bites out of a trend without risking too many of their pips on a stop-loss. Other traders prefer to take less frequent bigger chunks out of a trend while having a bigger cushion with their stop-loss size.

"Some traders will use fixed stop-losses (a certain amount of pips) while others will use technical levels such as support and resistance or pivot points to put their stoploss above or below.

"Some traders will have fixed profit target, some traders will use technical levels for their profit targets and some traders will even leave their profit target open for a certain period of time.

"Day traders could use technical levels from a 1 hour or 5 minute chart for their stoplosses and profit targets. A swing or position trader may prefer to use technical levels from the 4 hour or even daily chart.

"Some traders will focus on having a positive risk versus reward ratio. Other traders will be less concerned about short term results and risk versus reward ratios and more focused on the longer term performance.

"Some traders will manually exit a losing position like in the “Cutting a Losing Trade” Example on page 11.

"Some traders will manually exit a winning position like in the “Running a Winning Trade” Example on page 10.

“Make your own choices in this department and you will see what works best for you.”

4 Likes

Today we are going to explain a system that requires the use of a Moving Average. It is a strategy developed by professional traders. It is called “Tres Patos”. The name may sound strange, but it comes from a fairly common phrase: “put your ducks in line,” which means being well prepared for a certain task or being more efficient. Have you ever seen a family of ducks swimming in a lake? They generally tend to swim in a row. This is how this system works. It helps the trader to make a “row” of actions to achieve a better result. As with most configurations, it is implemented during a trend.

So what do we need to start using this system?

The Tres Patos trading system is very simple. It will help you find up and down movements in the market. No need to download complicated oscillators or search for specific patterns. All you need is to consider three temporalities: M5, H1, and H4. The only indicator you need is a simple 60-period Moving Average, which you can find on any platform. Analysts recommend implementing this system while trading EUR / USD or GBP / USD. Let’s take a look at the “ducks” make up this strategy. We will use the EUR / USD pair as an example.

The first duck

First, we look at the greatest temporality (H4). We see if the current price is above or below the 60-period Simple Moving Average (SMA).

2 Likes