Tools for a newbie

Hi all!

I just have a simple question. I’m doing what I can to trade via my phone and learn what I can, but I’m finding it difficult to look at charts, research, back to charts, back to research… rinse and repeat. I’d like to be able to look at a charts at the same time as researching.

My question is, what would you guys recommend using to learn and mess around with my demo account at the same time? I was wondering if maybe a windows surface tablet would be sufficient but then wasn’t sure if it would offer as much as a laptop could offer? Or perhaps it’s just as good as a laptop?

Any suggestions on what to look at is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Like

In my opinion, a proper computer is a must for trading. The interfaces for analysis are so much more powerful and it’s easier to see the charts as well. A spreadsheet program is valuable too… You don’t have to invest a lot to have a good setup. Charting software doesn’t need any expensive video card to function and computers nowadays have plenty of power to run any software you’d need.

There are lots of advantages of trading with the phone, but for sure it’s better to use your laptop for trading, as for me it’s more convenient in all senses

For beginner using a phone to learn is absolutely no-go. You will need as much space as you can at affordable price. Best to start with you will need at least laptop with good size screen (doesn’t need to be expensive, just large screen) and the best I could advise you with is either laptop with availability to connect to another screen (2 screens setup) or PC with same setup. When you stop doing your thorough research and be confident with what you do, then you can try your phone only but that’s going to take you at least year if not more.

Now for PC (with Weirdows ten installed) you will need either SSD hard drive or at least 8GB RAM or both. Video in laptops is usually using your RAM so you will want to upgrade your RAM very soon if laptop will be your choice. You can’t really upgrade Surface. When you expand your knowledge, you will be looking at more information than just your charts.

FYI my setup is a bit advanced but better be safe than sorry. Desktop PC with Intel i5, 16GB RAM, 2x SSD (Raid 1 - if one disk fails other one still works) and 2 screens via DisplayPort (1x 4k, 1x 2HD) and of course UPS for everything internet related.

Use a desktop or a laptop. Phones and tablets are useful when you want to check how your trades are going but are not at all conductive to actual learning how to trade.

2 Likes

right , when trading it is more appropriate to use Laptop , using phone cant give you the real environment of trading .

trading on a Phone , sounds not complete and professional but the traders who are particularly part timer no way without it.

Why International Trade Is So Important?

The best solution for the beginner would be to have a laptop (even the cheapest one). Then, if it is affordable, it would be great to add external monitor and keyboard. so that you would have comfortable trading station to work from home and portable laptop to work from any other place in the world. The laptop wolud be better since it has powerful operating system (Windows, in most of the cases), so you would be able to use desktop versions of trading platforms which have much more features than mobile ones. Another important point is that you would be able to use additional special software for traders like Forex Tester (backtesting tool) or desktop version of MS Excel, which is a must have tool for any traders to make your trading notes and keep trading journal. Professionals could also use shortcuts to send orders from the keyboard, as this could help trader to save time and act faster. It is especially important for active daytraders.

got some fine lines , thanks for your nice post.

all back to you, you like trading and learning via cellphone or PC.

you can trade by cellphone for sometimes but no way at all to learn from this , its completely inappropriate

Laptop is good, phone as well just to read babypips on the train lol