TP or PT? Which do you use?

Maybe OP is trying to say TP=Take Profit. As for PT, I have no idea what it is.

P-yramid T-rade?

Based on your poll; all of the members are make dealing with TP & that’s the reality.

It could be Take Profit and Trailing Stop?

Mate, trailing stop is for TS; not for PT.

Yea, you are right.

I have wrote Trailing Stop because maybe author was thinking about TS.

Maybe author of this topic have made mistake.

If not then PT is explained here for those who wants to know what it means. It is Profit Target.

To be on the topic I use Take Profit level.

1 Like

Well; maybe! But don’t know why he is silent when we are making notice according to his enquiry.

:joy: that TP is necessary!

That being said, this is a tomato tomahtoh question and like what @KonradOP said, OP didn’t even reply. Wonder what he ended up using! Oh the mystery. :joy:

Thank you… that’s the one I’ve seen around.

Got to love the Internet!

Ha ha ha! Well judgment mate; the mystery!!

Ha looks like he showed up again haha. @dudebro, what will you use from now on? :slight_smile:

what is meant by PT and TP? I’m also a newbie.

I think it means Pyramid Trade and Take Profit. These are decisions you only have to face when a trade goes into profit, and they are opposites, so its a binary choice that has to be made.

1 Like

TP for trading and PT for the muscles! :corn::soccer:

Ooh never heard of pyramid trade before!

Pyramid trade is adding a new trade on top of the original. It can be same size as original trade or smaller: I’ve not heard of anyone using a system of larger pyramid trades.

The idea is that when your original trade is proven to be a good idea as price move sin your direction, you add to its size with a second trade, then maybe a third, fourth etc. New trades can either be added on new entry signals or automatically when profit has covered your initial risk. Its a tricky strategy as the ratio of break-even trades and small losing trades increases at first, though the gains from the successful pyramids can be very large.

2 Likes

Awesome how I learn stuff completely not what I had in mind when asking my question. Love this place! So much to learn.

1 Like

Thank you so much for explaining! Does it have to be a winning trade for it to be considered pyramiding? In essence this is adding to a position yes?

Yes. A pyramid trade can only be added to a winning trade. Some traders also move the stop-loss on the first trade to break-even when they add the second trade.

e.g. Your long trade has a stop-loss £100 below entry. When it makes a profit of +£100, you add a second trade of the same size and you set its stop-loss likewise at -£100. But you move the SL on the first trade to +/-£0. So now the worst that can happen is that you will lose £100, which you already rated as acceptable. But if price goes up, you will have twice the profit. If you add a third trade and move the two earlier stop-losses, you will have 3 times the profit potential but still only be risking £100 from your account.

It sounds a lot simpler than it really is…