Trading and working full time

hey guys just a question for yah, so I’m going to start out with a reasonably small account £200.00 so when I trade I risk at the moment 1-2% of my account per trade so my position are going to be small when I was demoing they were like 0.1 of a lot ha-ha. However I am full time working so I am looking at just following the big trends, what is the best way to go around this because obviously I’m going to have wide stop for volatility, with an account this size they gains aren’t going to be massive, but that not the point though. Just wondering how other traders trade if they work full time, and their experiences trading this way.

It will be hard to combine swing trading with small stops like 20 pips.

The best way for you to do it will be to set alerts on the levels you think are important then once they have triggered wait and see if there is a strong move away from them, if there is, place a limit order to enter on a deep retracement. This will let you keep stops smaller without being whipsawed so much.

1 Like

Hey man, you are going good. I would like to advice you keep on this track a little bit longer. From your post I can say that you are just started. You should observe more. And I do not think full time trader means they are always doing trading like any typical job. Full time traders targeted long trades and trends as my view of point.

Good advice from PFP.

Swing trading on larger frames might be a good fit for you.

Use s/r levels to find a bigger SL with the same 1-2% risk (or lower) using smaller lots for more drawdown capacity.

Best of luck for your trading! By the way, now I am trading here as like a full time trader, but I started my trading as a part timer! Basically, when I was a regular profitable trader (in average) then I started my trading as a full time trader! If you are very sure about your trading strategy, then you can do full time trading quite comfortably.

BHey guys, thank s for the advice and I was thinking about sticking to the bigger time frames and follow the bigger trends, also looking at support and resistance levels too.

Also personally think it’s less of a gamble to trade the long term but then I’m not very good personally at day trading hench why I’m working towards trading long term.

Since you are using GBP as your base currency, I have to assume you are close to the London time zone. I also have to assume you are working a normal 9-5 day job. With those parameters in mind, you could possibly trade the NY session up until 9PM your time. After that, the liquidity is too low (spreads are too high) until about 11PM. Then you are into the Asia session. Hope this helps.

For me, the big question would be “Do I need to trade very long time frames because I can only really do my work and put on or adjust my trades once a day, or do I need to trade very short time frames because I can only really trade for 2-3 hours per day, after work, and therefore need something fast-moving?”

You sound like you’ve already answered that question, but I don’t quite follow how, or why, you’ve chosen the answer you have.

I do see that it imposes on you wide stops and risks from having trades open when you’re out at work.

Have you read this thread in which the same issue (and other things) are discussed? How Realistic is This?

That’s a very good point never really thought about trading the really short time frames, thanks I’ll try demoing and see how it goes :slight_smile: and thanks for the link I’ll check it out :slight_smile:

You are working full time so be careful about your money and try to not over trade because there are many traders who are trading any trade without any analysis.

Good suggestion, I agree with your part time trading plan!

Yes full time traders should also make a plan for trading. It does not means they are bound to work all the time .They should trade for their targets , Over trading will be dangerous and tired situation. However they can take as much time to avail right trading time as in analysis , news and planning for risk management.

My friend, what broker are you trading with?