Trading as a business

Hello traders!

I recently put this question to Merlin Rothfeld on Power Trading Radio (powered by the Online Trading Academy),

namely: ‘Can I use my forex account as a way to build up a retirement pension?’.

His answer was that I should use this as an investment vehicle but also diversify into more secure assets, like bonds,

for retirement/pension saving… I have recently gone freelance/self-employed, so I am thinking about whether trading

Forex, as I do (long-term positions, low-risk exposure), could be a way of steadily building a pot of money, as an alternative

to the 0.50%/year returns that bank accounts currently offer in the UK, on average.

So the question of trading Forex as a business must also, I feel, touch on whether it could function as a retirement fund…

but it seems unwise because you are relying on a volatile instrument that requires a lot of time (and the whole point of

bonds or other assets of this kind is that you leave your funds there to accrue interest over time, without you have to

daily monitor financial news, charts, forums, you name it)…

Has anybody had any thoughts about this?

I would combine it with some safer investments. There are stocks in the FTSE that pay over 5% dividend, If you build up a position with regular buys over time the price averages out and you are somewhat insulated from the ups and downs of the stock market. Reinvest the dividends and you get a compounding effect.

1 Like

I must look into this seriously when I have built up a bit of a pot to invest…

:slight_smile:

Among other reasons, I started trading because of its portability and the potential if supplementing my pension in years to come with it. I didn’t consider building up a pension pot, merely some extra spending money

[QUOTE=“eddieb;724478”]Among other reasons, I started trading because of its portability and the potential if supplementing my pension in years to come with it. I didn’t consider building up a pension pot, merely some extra spending money[/QUOTE]

I started trading for it’s potential & I see it as a constructive use of my time.

I work a 5-4-5 shift patterns so when I’m working 10/14 days, I’ll trade the higher TF’s & then when I’m only working the 4-day fortnight, I’ll put in more chart time & look at lower TF’s. I see FX as a worthwhile use of my time off as I’d otherwise have the Xbox on or something.

I work a full-time job, invested in property, my wife & I are contemplating investing in bonds - Forex is just a side investment opportunity (if it pans out). Hell, even placing 1 or two trades a year (regardless of the TF) & making anything more than 0.5% has your money working better for you than having it sitting in a bank.

As a business, trading requires constant research, evaluation and discipline. There are no guarantees in the trading business, and you could work a 40-hour week and end up losing money. Anyone considering trading should make sure they have both the personality and financial means to take on this type of business activity.The ease with which you can start trading (just open a trading account and hit the “buy” button) in no way implies that becoming a successful and profitable trader is easy. Many of the 90% of traders who fail within the first year do so because they start trading without having developed any type of logical business or trading plan.

For us retail traders, with small investment, trading should be like a way of getting some extra cash every month, from which you can pay some of your bills or carry out some major expense in your house after collecting profit from 4 to 5 months, but relying only on trading needs a big account.

Forex can yield great returns and compete with an agressive investment, but the risks are high. I think stocks are a more viable alternative as an investment, as well as bonds if you’re looking at the longest term and retirement. This is especially true if you are a passive investor.

Yes. I think a business idea can be for skilled traders, who works as a team and trades for others and in return gets some commission.

Forex, Stock Trading is just like any other business. It also has lost, profits and breakeven period. But due to the rise of the internet, Forex trading, stock or any other asset had become easy to trade.

But here is the truth - Trading forex or stock is easy to get started BUT that doesn’t mean it is easy to trade profitably months after months.

To be a consistence profitable trader you have to treat trading like it is business.

Here are 10 way to treat trading as a business.

Read Full in-depth article - Trading as a Business – 14 Ways to Treat Trading Like a Business

1. Have a Vision for Your Trading
  2. Fund Your Trading Business Properly (Have Enough Trading Capital)
  3. Think in Longterm – There are no Shortcuts in this Game
  4. Keep Your Trading Office Clean
  5. Have a Solid Trading Plan
  6. Have a Proper EDGE over the Market
  7. Have a Strict Daily Trading Routine
  8. Think of Your Trading Setups as Product and Services
  9. Losses are Invetible
  10. Have Solid Trading Journal That Helps You Understand ins and out of Your Trading Business

I think trading is like any other business. You lose some and you win some. And there are RULES.

2 Likes

I already read this article. very useful for those who want to make forex as their main income source.

2 Likes

Good article. Covers basics briefly and nicely.

1 Like

one thing about trading forex as a business, I always wonder how “other” costs are handled… Health insurance and things of that nature. I want to trade full time but it would appear to “offset” that cost, you would have to make SIGNIFICANTLY more than you would now just to almost break even…