Trading journal

I’m looking at two different types of trades. They’re both support/resistance bounce trades. Price hits support, and you wait until it hits resistance. Simple, right? But what happens in between will deceive you terribly.

One support/resistance trade took one month to finish, and the other took SIX months! The technique is the same. Jump in the trade and wait until it reaches the other side. But the retracements will scare you. It’s not easy to have some nice profits, then watch them drop by 50%. But you’ll close because you think you’re wrong, only to watch price turn in your favor the next day.

I’m staring at these two trades, and I’m just wondering about the trades that get halfway between support/resistance, then completely reverse. This is where I have trouble and get paranoid about the meaning of each candle.

But there are always clues. I just have to back to square one and teach myself how not to overthink everything and just chill.

I realized that my diagram ALREADY has tons of samples of charts. I don’t need to backtest anymore. I already have charts zoomed out and labeled.

The clues are so obvious!

And now my frustration is what’s the difference between these charts and my errors?
I have a some practice charts. I’m gonna trade them, then do a comparison of how I trade them vs how I SHOULD trade them.

After a series of losses, and you’re not sure why, you’re gonna feel defeated. That’s how I was feeling yesterday. Again and again, I’m taking losses, and I don’t seem to follow my strategy the same way I do when backtesting. It’s as if my strategy is unrealistic in live trading. Could that be true? Well, I have to consider that possibility.

I also have to consider that I’m doing it wrong, then try to figure out why.

When immersed in that defeated feeling, you don’t know what’s next and most of the motivation is gone. Perhaps you start thinking about everything else in your life, everything else you’ve failed at, how everyone is doing better, and your attitude goes into a downward spiral.

The past two days, I spent time looking up online about people I knew during my youth. This person is a doctor, this person has a successful business, that person has a happy family, etc. And then there you are at the bottom of the barrel.

I don’t know how many people here can relate to those kinds of feelings. The frustrating part is when people try to make you feel better and say nice things. For me, a lot of it is nonsense because they’re just trying to make me feel better and they’re also lowering their expectations of me. The truth is that I’ve failed and I should do better. But no one will tell you that.

No one will tell you to stop whining, get up, and keep fighting. No one will say ¨Be strong! Don’t quit! Keep going, no matter what!¨

People will tell you ¨No, you’ve done XYZ and ABC. I’m proud of you.¨ That’s nice, but they’re trying to make you feel better by lowering expectations. That’s how I see it. I never understood how to do better and elevate even though I’ve failed.

People fail, sure. But what about when you’ve failed again and again and again? And you think that your failure is permanent? What would you be willing to do to change that?

What would you be willing to do to get a win so big that your life changed completely? What would you give to change things around so that instead of life always pushing you around, you were pushing back?

To not feel like a loser 100% of the time? If you could just put a dent in it, you could show yourself that being a loser is not a permanent condition. If you could go from 100% loser to 99% loser, you would know that it’s possible to become anything you can imagine. If you can go from 100% loser to 99%, then you could also go to 98%.

You would know it’s merely a matter of building yourself up, improving your weaknesses, and doing whatever is necessary. And you would understand that failure is a step forward. Some would say ¨stumble towards grace¨. It extracts a heavy toll, but anything is possible.

We’re all here to trade and make money. Let’s not pretend we’re all here just for a hobby. Who wouldn’t want to make a ton of money? We all may have different reasons for being here, but money is surely part of the equation.

For me, it’s not just about money. It’s about becoming the person who is capable of making money. And what better endeavor to overcome than one that can also provide your life with a lot of options? Choose whatever health insurance you want, a car that doesn’t breakdown on the side of the road, live in a safer neighborhood, etc. The ability to help anyone around you. Why not be someone who gives money rather than always be the one borrowing?

I was feeling defeated in forex, but today, I got my motivation back. Ready to keep going. Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Remember, we’re not just doing it for the money. We’re doing it for a sh#tload of money!

I’m comparing two charts with similar signals. Both of which I got wrong when trading.

So, if the bullish signal was valid in one but not the other, is my strategy wrong?

Nope. My strategy wasn’t wrong–I was. Basically, the conditions were different.

In one chart, price had bounced resistance. I looked at the type of reversal signal, looked at my strategy, and my strategy says ¨HOLD¨. That means to hold despite any adjacent contradictory signals.

My strategy already had the answer!

So, the answer to why I lost this particular trade is that I didn’t follow my strategy.

Next, I have to work on how to actually APPLY my strategy. I thought I had internalized it, but I’m far from it. I need more practice!! Let’s go!!

I find myself bouncing around. I’m looking for ways to prove/disprove my strategy. And each way seems to be flawed in some way. I find a chart, but it just raises different questions.

At first, I wanted to trade charts step by step according to my strategy. I did that with one chart, but realized that I don’t have a way to determine whether or not I should follow contradictory signals.

If I get a reversal sign telling me to go short, then shortly after I see two bullish candles, do I follow them? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. And that’s the problem.

I have lots of samples of when to follow contradictory signals. But those are all completed charts. How about before? I noticed that I don’t seem to have anything to help me in real time.

So, now I have to collect more chart samples. Fortunately, I have several reversal samples, and next I need to check which ones have contradictory signals.

I’m wondering if I put too much pressure on myself to understand and catch every single movement.

Jeez Louise. I’m picking new charts to analyze. I looked at samples in my diagram and I need a wider view.

I chose a random AUD/CAD chart, and everything looks so easy. The reason it looks so easy is because I’m thinking about money. I’m not eager. Not in a rush. Not thinking about every individual candle. I’m only looking at the candles in the ZONES that are significant.

Perhaps, if I just let go of thinking about money, focused on the TRADE, and waited until price hit the zones that are significant, then my trading will be more controlled.

I say controlled because I can’t control the market, just when I enter and exit. Perhaps, I’ll be able to do some zen trading like steve369.

Maybe I can just wait for the trade to enter the zone I’m waiting for, and not worry if it doesn’t. Whatever doesn’t work out, just let it go. It wasn’t optimal, in that case.

Whenever I start looking at charts, I sometimes get distracted and start thinking about some other aspect of my strategy.

I think I understand why now.

I make mistakes and feel as if something is missing from my strategy. So, I go to the charts looking for clues to what I’m doing wrong. But when I look at the charts, my mistakes seem to make no sense, and my strategy becomes clear. When my strategy becomes clear, the problem I was looking for just disappears, and I don’t even remember what I was looking for anymore.

This leaves me unfulfilled because my problem isn’t in the chart–it’s in me. My problem can’t be solved with the strategy, because the strategy works. I’m the one making the mistakes. That’s why I get tired of looking at charts. I’m just looking at the same strategy applied over and over.

But my mistakes are almost erratic. I haven’t yet figured out the reason for it, though. Most likely, lack of patience, and fear of missing big movements (and the profits they bring).

I worry about missing out on such moves, so I keep throwing myself in there at the wrong signals at the wrong time, or the right signals at the wrong time; and then when I finally catch the right signal at the right time, I get scared and jump out too soon.

I’m doing some chart analysis today. I didn’t do any trading at all. For now, I prefer to focus on studying. I want to understand better the difference between when a trend is reversing vs retracing. There are clues, but I’m not clear on what they are.

I thought I was, but not so much anymore. I’m not sure if it’s doubt, impatience, or just misreading signals.

I’m reconsidering the idea of setting TPs. Well, not actually TPs, but setting a zone I should start watching for exit signals. If price bounces resistance, I should consider waiting until price gets near support.

In between is where the patience is tested. But, if I can just hold during that period instead of jumping out (cutting profits short), then taking more losses trying to jump back in, perhaps I can trade more profitably.

I’ve been fumbling around for a few days. I’ve been examining charts, but didn’t know what to do with them. I needed a way to log what I was seeing and if there were fakeouts during true reversals.

Well, yesterday I finally got an idea. It’s nothing major. It’s incredibly simple, but it took me some time to figure out this is a decent first step.

It’s self-explanatory. I look at a complete trend. I list what type of trend. Is it a swing or consolidation? Then I write what kind of signal I WOULD have traded. It could be a genuine signal, or a fakeout, or no signal at all. And that’s what I’m gonna put down.

After that, in the next column I write any contradictory signal I might find. If there’s none, then I write n/a.

I don’t know what difference this will make, but it will help me organize what I’m seeing.

If I can organize it, I can quantify it. That will show me patterns. And the charts are just reflections of buy/sell orders which are based on human behaviour. And human behaviour is often repetitive–us humans are creatures of habit.

1 Like

Just found your long trading log in this post. It’s amazing, keep going with your hard work!

1 Like

Thanks!! I appreciate it!

Trading can get quite boring, which is why I have music to listen to, or videos playing that I can periodically look at.

They help keep me from getting too distracted. However, I’ve noticed how the music and videos can also be distracting. Sure, sometimes I’ll hit pause for a moment. But, I’ve been hitting pause and sitting in silence more frequently lately.

Do I sit in boredom and concentrate, or get distracted while trying to think? I have to choose boredom. Sometimes, I’ll go back and listen to something for a a minute or two, but then I have to turn it off so I can concentrate.

I’m trying to understand certain price action right now, and I should do the responsible thing and just try to focus.

To keep motivation I often watch movies. I like this one particularly.

I won’t give the story away, but you can watch the main character develop into someone completely different, that he needs to become. He does things that he would have never considered before.

It’s an incredible transformation. I had also has his setbacks during his transformation.

It reminds me that in order to become the person I need to be, I will have setbacks, but it’s possible.

I’m doing a tally of retracements, reversals, and the signs they exhibit, but I’ve noticed that I’ve been a bit inconsistent with noting contradictory signals.

This suggests that I should do a SEPARATE tally for contradictory signals. It’ll be easier to focus by doing it that way.

I’ve been a bit lazy lately. I want to do more, but I seriously don’t feel like it. Even though I want to be more productive, I don’t WANT to do it.

When I go to bed, I bring my phone and I goof around for about 20 minutes or more before going to sleep. When I wake up, I goof around again on my phone for around 20 or 30 minutes.

I felt like it’s a waste of time. I have other habits that are not so productive, but I felt like this was an easy target to work on.

For the last few days, I leave my phone on my table away from my bed, and I listen to some short audio while trying to sleep. Once I can get used to it and no longer miss the habit of using my phone at bedtime, then I can choose the next unproductive habit to work on.

I’m doing a tally of characteristics of swings, but I noticed that I’m missing out on which combinations are most common.

Perhaps A, B, and C are common in reversals, but A and B together are MOST common. That would be interesting.

I’m not sure if it’s necessary though…

I’m looking at trades that are anywhere from a few days to a few months. It’s crazy. I’m looking at an EUR/JPY channel that lasted 5 months. It’s hard to imagine a trade lasting that long. And there was some WILD turbulence during that time. But you just have to hold and wait.

I think MatDerKater said that between the support and resistance bounce anything can happen. It’s like taking a crazy walk in the park.

I’ve already said this several times. But I keep seeing it. You enter at a sensible place, and you expect the trade to end at a sensible place. However, nothing sensible will happen in between.

This is true. We can only enter a trade when we think it’s the best time, then it’s back to the random-walk. Don’t worry about ecclectic trade durations - mine last anything from 5 minutes to 6 months. There’s no rule to say this shouldn’t happen. I’m wondering if a grid-trading strategy would be good for you?

1 Like

I had to look that up…It involves predetermined TPs. However, in my strategy those are often only suggestive. There are occasions price decides to reverse.

Right!! Was that you who said that? I couldn’t remember who said that. Sorry if it was.

But yeah. The random walk. And yeah I saw some swings that crawled their way to TP over 6 months. Ridiculous. Other times, it’s a matter of days.

What a test of patience! What do you do when price starts doing weird stuff, taking all kinds of detours, retracing twice, consolidating in strange ways…and you don’t know if you should reverse your position.

Do you refer to your strategy or is it a judgement call?