Trading journal

It’s not always just about practicing, but also how you practice. I have practice charts, but each chart is a close view of a setup. I can’t zoom out on each picture, and this makes it difficult to understand what’s happening.

It can be difficult to know if a trend is reversing or retracing. This had created confusion for me. I couldn’t understand WHY I was wrong on some trades.

So, I kept this in mind and started including a zoomed out picture at the beginning of the trade. However, as the trade unfolds, it’s still difficult to see signs in relation to the larger picture.

Live trading is easier to see everything.

Maybe create screenshots from different zoom/ perspective will help you, in results you will get documentation from every trade.

1 Like

I just finished my trading, and there’s no setups. Right now, prices are trending, so, no entries or exits for me.

Now is the time to just watch. Of course, I see mistakes and entries that should have been better. I’ll work on that for next time.

I’m gonna take a short break, then go back to speed trading.

A habit that I have is that I’ll miss or lose a nice setup, then I’ll try to remember that particular scenario thinking that I’ll catch it next time. The problem is that no two setups and conditions are exactly the same. They’re very similar but never exactly the same.

So, I’ll be waiting for that setup, and when the conditions are similar but not the same, it leaves me confused. Then, bam, I miss it again.

And I do this over and over. I’ve learned that price often does the same thing, but in a different way. Meaning it’ll bounce support and go up until resistance. I just have to hold and try not to get confused in between.

Well, one good thing is that I’m looking at EUR/CAD right now. It’s a difficult trend for me to trade. I’m looking at my trades, and I’ve only had one trade. It was wrong, but at least it was only one.

Normally, I would have had a whole bunch of bad trades while trying to GUESS which way it was going. What a waste of money! This time, I’ve been sitting on the sideline for the most part.

Not trading IS a position!

Sometimes, I’m quite lazy about studying and practicing trading. But I keep going. Sometimes, I try to push myself to be a bit more strict.

At the same time, I have to remember that this endeavor is a marathon; not a sprint.

I don’t wanna study hard for two weeks, then burnout. I’d like to keep a strong pace for a long period of time.

I’ve been studying for a couple years. It’s hard to keep going. I enjoy it, and find it interesting. But there are times I don’t feel like looking at charts. I still keep going, though.

I did my trading, but I honestly didn’t feel like studying any charts. Of course, trading is always on my mind, but I should be studying also.

I woke up late, which didn’t help. I could have studied for about an hour and half, but I didn’t.

The cost of laziness is the prolonging of my goals.

1 Like

And that’s okay! :blush: Maybe consider it as your body telling you to get enough rest before you really get into studying your charts. :smiley: Reaching your goals might take a while, but knowing you, you’ll get there for sure! :blush:

1 Like

Keep up the amazing wooork! :smiley:

1 Like

I just finished my trading. I got a late start because of some technical difficulties.
imagen
My internet connection was unstable.

It was weird because when I tried to log in, certain letters on my bluetooth keyboard wouldn’t type. But when I typed in the search bar, it worked find. Really weird.

I restarted my computer, then shut it down, I got internet, then the signal dropped. I eventually switched to my other laptop which is just for leisure.

Fortunately, I don’t think I missed anything too major.

The patience part is hurting me…

For example, when my strategy says price will break support, but could retrace short-term, then the best thing for me to do is hold.

But when price bounces support and there’s a big green candle, part of me feels foolish for not taking that trade.

And that’s when trouble arises. If I take that trade, I’d be going against my strategy.

I’m supposed to just hold, and do nothing. If my entry was far away from where price could pull back to, then just sit tight, and do nothing.

It’s difficult to watch that big green candle, and not feel bad.

I had some nice trades that I should’ve closed, but I didn’t. I have a guide about how to handle retracements, and I didn’t even consult it. It didn’t even occur to me to refer to my guide. This is what happens when my mind is flooded with emotions.

However, my goal, ultimately, is to internalize my strategy and instantly know what I should do. I’m not there yet. If I want to get there, I have to consult my guide more frequently.

I’ll prepare some practice charts for these kinds of set ups.

My entries are getting somewhat better. My patience has improved, but I have a long way to go.

Yesterday, oh man. One particular set up was really bothering me. It was a bullish retracement, and I knew it was gonna turn bearish again soon. But I didn’t know for how long.

I got stuck between going long or short, or just staying out. I handled it terribly.

However, even though my entries have improved, I have to improve my exits as well. I had a nice position, but it started retracing. Yes, I could have held it. But, what’s the point of holding if I suspect it’s going to retrace significantly?

Why watch the trend pullback 30 or 50%? When I see my profits drop like that, the only thing I can do is HOPE that price will continue in my favour. But what if it doesn’t?

In that case, if I suspect price will pullback significantly, I should collect my profits.

I just practiced a trade, and I ruined the trade. It was such an easy trade, but I got confused by what I saw, and what I WANTED to see.

It made me feel hopeless. But I’m not done. Fall down seven times, get up eight.

This morning I’ve been thinking about how I’ve been trading. I’m trying to understand why I’m not doing well. I’m looking at my chart samples, and I’m wondering why I don’t do what I’m supposed to do.

I think fear is at play here. I get scared of the losses. My strategy calls for taking a few losses before catching the trend. Sometimes, I’m not confident I’m trading in the right direction. If that’s the case, I shouldn’t trade that trend; I should wait until I see something obvious.

There’s also some confusion that I experience, which is probably mostly due to my impatience. Of course I’m gonna be confused if I’m looking for a sign that’s not even there!

I was focusing on being patient, and I fell back into old habits of not waiting and trading too frequently.

I have to go back to that: focusing on being patient. I worry so much about missing out, I forget about how much money I’m losing on bad trades, which is sometimes just plain old guessing. That’s no good.

Yeah, I definitely need more patience. I’m looking at CAD/CHF, and the trades are so easy, I’m seriously wondering how I missed it.

There were so many simple trades that I missed, you would think I was TRYING to miss them.

I’m gonna be more patient.

1 Like

I took a trade today, and it already got stopped out. Looking at it now, I’m wondering why I even took it. I thought it was a bear trend retracing and that it was gonna turn bearish again.

I feel annoyed and irritated, and tired of trying. But, I just have to take some time to relax my brain. Maybe play a videogame for a little bit. I haven’t played in a long time.

I don’t know. I guess I’m tired of practicing and studying charts, and I’m not improving. But I have to keep going.

I need to focus on the REALLY obvious signs, perhaps.

Often, my trades don’t look like what they SHOULD look like. I’m being too desperate.
I will not stop. I will keep going.

imagen

Jeez. Look at me. I had a bad trade, and I’m acting like it’s a horrible situation. Maybe I need to wait, maybe I need to keep taking a couple more losses.

I just gotta relax, and be patient. Jason Bourne, sniper style!

I’m feeling really frustrated right now. Just a few weeks ago, I made a pact with a friend. He had a financial endeavor he wanted to focus on, so I told him we’ll try to keep each other on track and really try to start turning a profit by the end of this year. He agreed.

My goal is to return to live trading by the end of the year.

He made a decision to quit his endeavor two days ago. I spoke with him yesterday and he explained why. The bottom line was that he’s not turning a profit at all, and he doesn’t wanna do it. I tried to encourage him, but I have to respect his decision.

To be honest, his decision is starting to affect me.

And I’ve been practicing more charts lately, and my trading is horrible. Just now, I was practicing a chart, and I had a few small wins, but mostly losses. I was shorting and got stopped out four times. I thought I was wrong. I skipped the next candle, then price fell thru the floor for about two months!

I felt like punching the computer. To be honest, I’m trying not to be a quitter anymore. And, frankly, I don’t want any quitting attitudes around me.

Trading is hard enough as it is; I don’t need anything making it harder.

Are you sure that this trading method suits for you?

1 Like