Trading the Strong vs the Weak

Hi all,
For the last few weeks I’ve been trading based on the strength and weakness of a pair. Now when I say pair, that means I take the strongest “currency” [U]and pair it with[/U] the weakest “currency”. I came across the method when I was checking the charts on DailyFX.com’s website and read an article How to Create a “Trading Edge”: Know the Strong and the Weak Currencies | DailyFX. Upon further searching on the matter, I also found this article The Forex Heatmap ™ Educational Blog: Parallel and Inverse Analysis of the Spot Forex. I don’t use that indicator, but the logic is interesting.

So I too created an Excel spreadsheet using 28 pairs, made by the 8 major currencies, and followed his method to calculate each currency’s strength except he used a 200SMA on a 4Hour chart, and I decided to use a 120 SMS on a 30min chart. I know, this is the subjective part because there are so many combinations one can use which will give different results so how effective can it be? Well I don’t have an answer unfortunately, but I decided that I like the 30 min chart and the 120 SMA seemed appropriate enough.

Since my prime trading time falls in the Asian session, I update my spreadsheet as close to that session’s opening as possible. My strength scale falls between 0 and 7, so I match the currencies that have the most “ABOVES” with the ones that have the most “BELOWS”. For example the last trade I took suggested that GBP & CAD were the weakest (had the most “BELOWS”), and USD was the strongest (the most “ABOVES”). So I monitored 2 pairs looking for an entry…GBPUSD for a sell, and USDCAD for a buy.

Richard Krivo suggests looking for a technical reason, such as a break of support or resistance, to enter the trade in the direction of the trend. For me that comes in the form of a candlestick pattern such as an engulfing or pin bar. However, the volume on those bars has to be higher than the last few bars. This seems to act as a filter to avoid fake patterns unless perhaps it’s exhausted it’s trend.

When i get a valid signal, I then check the stop placement before entering. Ideally I’d like a 15-20 pip stop and if I can get that I will enter the trade. If not then hopefully price will retrace a bit and I’ll wait for that to happen before entering. I also like to check if there are any major S&R zones close by to worry about.

Lastly when in a trade, what I do is move my stop to breakeven when I get 20 pips in profit and close out half and let it run until I wake up, which is usually near the end of the London session. This morning I woke up to an 80 pip winner. however so far that is not the norm because I usually close out before then from lack of confidence.

In a little while I’ll run the numbers again and see what it says (it only takes 15mins to do) …be back in a couple of hours :slight_smile:

Very interesting… I traded the GBP/CAD (which I guess is weakest/weakest) today because I’ve noticed its had the ideal volatility needed for my harmonic trading techniques. I’m going to look into this thoroughly :smiley: ty for pointing it out!

Hey Luis…nice to hear from you :slight_smile:
Yes that’s basically what my spreadsheet shows too…they are both evenly matched as far as weakness goes…hope that give you an (another) edge!

Here is a screenshot of my spreadsheet. For tonight the strong currencies are:
USD
JPY

and the weak currencies are:

CAD
GBP

That gives me 4 pairs to consider:

Buy USDCAD
Sell CADJPY
Sell GBPJPY
Sell GBPUSD

I really like what your coming up with. I would also add:

Sell:

EUR/USD
AUD/USD

Buy:
USD/NOK
USD/JPY
USD/CHF

I have been doing this all week with great results

Hi there LegOnd,
So how long have you been trading as per your “Tomorrow Wins” thread? Longer than one week I hope :wink: It sounds like you’re trading a basket of correlated pairs or at least ones that have one common driver…the USD. Not using a stop is like saying if you wait long enough they’ll all go into profit eventually. I traded that way for awhile, and it bit me…lol…it’s a bit risky, but it works for some I suppose.

No I wouldn’t add those pairs myself because it seems they are fairly equal in strength (don’t know about the NOK…how’s the spread on that pair?), and as Richard Krivo states “[I]if we trade a currency pair in which both currencies are fairly equal in strength, we give up the edge because either currency can “take control” since they are of equal strength.[/I]”

:slight_smile:

Believe it or not I have been live trading since January and have made over 2k trades with a 57% winning average (should be higher since I have won at least 30 trades this week without a loss)

I’m not holding onto losers for no reason and i do understand the risk I am taking. I’m working on a strategy that pairs higher yielding currencies with lower yielding currencies. The goal is to have the currencies spread out enough to stabilize my unrealized p&l (by keeping a tight p&l I am more likely to be able to sustain large falls and big gains more easily because they cancel out) Due to economic crisis widespread around the world I believe lower yielding currencies to be less risky. As does most of the world at this point, otherwise why is the dollar doing so hot this week and the higher yielding currencies stacking up loss especially with no real good economic data coming from the US? I don’t merely take guesses as many on this forum may be inclined to think. I use a simple moving average to place my trades and that’s it. Looking at the long term I do not see the situation in Europe or the us or any country for that matter changing over night. For that matter I feel it safe to assume things are going to continue as they are until govt. Intervention. When will the govt. choose to intervene and what kind of an impact will it have? I am uncertain. But until I see a few solid days of up-trending in the higher yielding currencies, I feel my choice to buy the dollar sell everything else is the right approach. The market is reacting to sentiment in my opinion, not technical analysis (although technical analysis is necessary when picking a good stop and take profit) the overall opinion in the world is that things are not doing so hot, and until consumer confidence returns, I feel the direction is likely to continue.

I don’t use stops or tp’s because I have had terrible luck in the past with them (well placed or not). I have since adapted and make sure that if one trade tanks, a few others will rally so that I can afford a drop off a cliff as long as a few trades are guaranteed to pick it up due to the correlation aspect.

Last night I did take a quick short trade on the CADJPY and closed out half at +21.8 pips, and then the other half closed at breakeven. I take into consideration the average weekly range a pair is known to move, and on all 4 pairs each had already been met or exceeded theirs, so I wasn’t really keen on taking any trades actually. However I did get a signal and took it anyways, and thankfully the trade managment worked as planned.

Since I starting scaling out of trades by partially closing them once reaching a particular profit point, I’m not sure how to analyze the results now. For instance I open a trade and later close out half at +24.8 pips, then later closed the remaining at +30. MT4pips.com, which analyzes my trading account results, counts it as 2 trades for a total of +54.8 pips…which seems inflated. Going by %, then I gained 13% this week. :slight_smile:

If you were trading say $6.00 & you cut half at 24.8 pips that would read
24.8 pips @ $3.00 = $74.4 +
30.0 pips @ $3.00 = $90.0
Total $ profit = $164.4 which when divided by the $6.00 total stake = 27.4 pips.

Compare that monetary outcome to trailing your full stake & closing out at a technical stop & it could make quite a substantial difference.
Bear in mind whenever your stop loss gets hit you’re not taking partial scale outs on the hit, but instead absorbing the full $6.00 stake.

Unless you’re consistently achieving large runs on the second half of those reduced stakes, the full stop loss debits could noticeably impact your bottom line returns.

sounds like an interesting strategy Sweet Pip. I wonder if you could use the same strategy using the RSI. Just a thought.

Hi,
Do you mean using the RSI instead of the SMA? And fill in the spreasheet as to whether where the base and quote currencies each relate to being above and below 0?

If so, I guess it also falls into the “subjective” part as does what timeframe and sampling size being used. The important part is to apply the technical indicator’s result into each currency in the pair…a positive to one, and a negative to the other… so it can give each currency an overall strength ranking. Technical indicators alone do not take an individual currency’s strength or weakness into consideration, just the pair.

Okay, something like this:

I think I’m gonna give this method a try on the sidelines and see how it goes

Looks good. As I understand it, trading only the strongest with the weakest currencies in the pair are the higher probability trades, which here would be shorting GBPJPY (19:83), and then next best would be shorting the EURJPY (39:83).

Then the numbers for the rest of the currencies get closer, and again “if we trade a currency pair in which both currencies are fairly equal in strength, we give up the edge because either currency can “take control” since they are of equal strength.”

Let us know how it goes regardless :slight_smile:

I’ve modified my trade setup monitoring spreadsheet to include an overview of the three strongest currencies and the three weakest. After looking around for a bit I decided to make use of Oanda’s tool: [http://fxtrade.oanda.com/analysis/currency-heatmap-sorted

I](http://fxtrade.oanda.com/analysis/currency-heatmap-sorted) set the date 30 days back which happens to correspond reasonably well with a 60 MA on the 8H timeframe. Since I use a 60 SMA that would seem like a logical choice for me. Oanda’s tool then tells me which individual currencies have been the strongest and weakest over this 30 day period.

It may help me to choose when I’m faced with picking one trade from a few candidates.

Thanks for sharing this Sweet Pip, used this way it makes sense. I was making it much too complex in my past attempts.

Sweet Pip,

How’s the method going this week?

Hi
Thanks for asking. Actually it’s going rather well…I’m up for the week and overall. Before I was entering trades when I got a candle pattern signal…engulfing or pin bar… but it’s amazing how many fake ones show up even with tighter filtering.

Now I like the idea of SRPlayer’s method of waiting for price to break and then return to an S&R level and entering there. This is nothing new except now I’m going with the trend instead of counter, and again selecting pairs with the strongest/weakest score. If a candle pattern shows up after I enter, even better for the confidence to hold on and let it run longer.

Before what seemed to be happening in several of my trades was that I had the direction right, but the price wrong and my stop got hit, but a little while later, when price reached an S/R level just beyond my stop, I re-entered and it ended up successful. My S&R areas are still the highs & lows of yesterday, the week, month & year, plus a couple of major swing points on the higher timeframes.

I like it and it’s easy to do :slight_smile:

So tonight I’m looking at 4 pairs in this order based on my strength analysis on the 4hr charts:
EURJPY - sell
CHFJPY - sell
EURUSD - sell
USDCHF - buy

Last night I tried EURUSD short and it managed to get to +20 pips and put my stop to breakeven. Then it retraced and took out my stop before resuming back down. That happens. It also happened that EURJPY would have been the better choice and since it still has the better score tonight too, I will wait for it to hopefully retrace up to the lower circled resistance area (yesterday’s broken low) where I’d consider going short.

Hi! Interesting thread indeed.

How about using an index for reference. I trade with liteforex, and they have the USDLFX index, and indexes for all pairs, and also the formula for the calculations.

Indices Trading | LiteForex

I’m doing this type of trading using that formula to calculate the indexes for all the currencies I trade, and after looking and checking the strongest and weakest I choose which pair to trade and the direction of that trade.

So which pair does that formula say is the better choice right now?

I did enter short on EURJPY at 97.69 with a stop at 97.89…

Using the idea of the strongest and weakest, the strongest is NZD and the weakest is JPY, but I don’t know if I’m using that information right…

On FPA you can find something like that: http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/currency_strength_calculator/
There JPY is the strongest and NZD is the almost weakest, so maybe I’m choosing wrong the pairs hehehe.