Trading the Trend with Strong Weak Analysis

This is more in line with the latest strength readings :grinning:

2 Likes

So you use Finviz daily for Strong/Weak to choose a pair (or pairs)?

It appears that you set your TP at the RWL, which I am assuming is the average weekly range low.

Not sure how you are setting SL. Looks like somewhere between average daily high and average weekly high. Maybe eyeballing it based upon recent prices.

Of all the trends nothing is stronger than Bitcoin over the last two months. If you stuck it out and bought into that year-long pullback you are being rewarded now

1 Like

More pain for US stocks as Yen continues to roll, Top Trade NZDJPY* tops the +200 pip mark

2 Likes

Somebody said NZYJPY, welcome to turnaround Tuesday :heart_eyes:

2019-05-14_16-54-09

4 Likes

Just a mild pullback day, nothing to suggest a reversal

2 Likes

Top Trades AUDJPY* and NZDJPY* hit new lows today

1 Like

Dennis,

based on your past experience, how long does the yen usually stay in the strongest (or weakest) position?

I know it is a bit like ‘how long is a piece of string’ question, specially now with the tweeter in charge at the Whitehouse.

Not much movement today, we could go either way from here

Yen has been #1 or 2 since April 24th , it had another long run Dec 18th through Jan 24th in between these dates it had a long run of weakness lasting from Feb 18th through March 19th , but we have also seen strength or weakness only last a day or two. Yen is a safe haven currency, it is where money is parked while US markets are correcting. This is the pattern of the Yen as it moves from #1 to #8 and back and forth several times a year, but how long it stays strong or weak is anyone guess and I do not like to risk capital on a “guess”

3 Likes

Thanks for your response, Dennis, much appreciated.

I find it fascinating how a currency can move from strong to weak and vice versa on a ‘regular’ basis and I would never have found out without your excellent thread.

Rather than a safe haven the yen seems more of a safe parking spot.

1 Like

May I think so?

The weakening of JPY and CHF illustrates a phenomenon.

There is no demand for hedging in the market. So you can short gold?

Dennis, thank you for sharing your strategy and trading on this forum. It is very valuable and educational, I am following it for some time now. I was just wandering, why is JPY central currency and not USD, as all currencies are quoted against USD? Thanks

It has been a slow grind lower for our two Top Trades, but if you are one who likes to ride the Dragon ( GBPJPY) you had a 300 pips move lower for the week

1a

2 Likes

It is simply ease of math, Yen is always listed last so it becomes a natural common denominator unlike the Dollar which will be listed as example EURUSD or USDCAD

Gold and Silver have been stair stepping down since their February high and are now negative for the year, at the same time Bitcoin has doubled in price. Bitcoin good or bad seems to be the new Gold. The problem with Gold is most of it is traded through derivatives which allows the same ounce of gold to be sold many times, while Bitcoin is still direct ownership. I do own both and will hold for the long term, I look at these as an insurance policy that never expires

2 Likes

Top Trade AUDJPY rallies but finds resistance at the 200ma on the 1hr chart, GBP takes over #8 by a hair.

note; I pulled these numbers 30 min early so there could be some small changes at the close of the daily candle

1a

1 Like

I think you forgot your *.

1 Like

US markets rallied so bad day for the Yen, big winner was the CAD

3 Likes

Small pullback from yesterday

2 Likes