Trading the Trend with Strong Weak Analysis

With a big down day in the Pound lets revisit some of our other Pound trades, again these all speak from themselves

Hello Dennis.

I’ve been reading through this thread, but there are so many posts that it’s hard to go though it all. I am sure I missed some important details throughout.

I joined babypips so I could ask a few questions.

First, did you take the GU trade yourself? It did not meet the 2% delta rule. Or do you take all of the SW top trades irregardless?

Second, the other GBP trades you posted screens of, were they taken from previous SW 2% delta trades? I assume so of course since that is the strategy, but they are still running even though those pairs do not meet the 2% delta anymore? Meaning that you don’t use “under 2%” as a exit strategy? What is the exit signal then? Opposite trigger? Or MA?

Since the GU trade now meets the 2% Delta rule, we should be looking for a entry correct? After today’s large move, I would expect it to retrace some, but it may not. Would you enter now? Or wait? It has moved so much already.

I can’t wait to read your replies. I am fascinated by your method. It is definitely unique.

Best regards, from your new disciple :upside_down_face:

Hi Shogun, welcome to the thread

I don’t share my actual trades as I don’t want people following what I do and I don’t want this thread to become about my picks.

For tracking I follow the the #1 and #8 as my Top SW Trade using the closing price that they become a top trade as the entry point. These have done really well with no other trading rules but I would encourage you to have a full trading plan for entry and exit and make my SW ranking part of that plan.

As far as the 2% rule, 6 years ago when I first got into FOREX the market was far more volatile and the 2% rule could be a hard rule, today we just do not see the big daily moves so we need to be flexible with that 2% rule, I guess it would be a good idea to start tracking these sub 2% trade signals and see if adjusting that down to say 1.5% might be better

Entries and exits, this is up to you, I can give some recommendations but it is still going to be your trade plain and what works for you,

Hope this helps

1 Like

I did not take GBPUSD at the switchover because the entire Forex market (through Dennis’ numbers) was squeezing together. This was indicated by the 2% rule, but also by the minimal separation between each individual currency. If you have MT5, I have posted a tool that lets you see these numbers graphically. I saw no indication that GBP was going to jump like that. Perhaps someone who follows fundamentals knew, but I didn’t.

Yesterday morning, around NYC market open, I saw that GBPUSD made a move, so I entered then. My thinking was that it wasn’t too late, and so far I have gained 57 pips, which is better than nothing.

Dennis’ numbers can be useful, but I have not found them to be a whole trading plan unto themselves. (He says the same thing in the above post.) I find SW #'s invaluable for discretionary (manual) trading, but with other factors considered.

1 Like

I just did a quick count on Top Trades that did not meet the 2% rule and this year we had 5 with 3 of them failing , now that is a small pool of data but it does show there is reason to be cautious if your trade does not meet the 2% rule

2 Likes

Top Trade GBPUSD up as much as +262 pips on just its second day as a Top Trade

The other GBP top trades are all at new lows which means new highs for pips they are as follows

GBPNZD* + 344 pips
GBPCAD* + 622
GBPCHF* + 599
GBPJPY* + 852

This is the kind of action we saw a few years ago when it looked like the Euro was going to fail

1 Like

Hi Dennis,
Quick question for you if you wouldn’t mind answering what broker do you use for trading forex. I am currently on a FXCM GBP demo account and I got into the GBPUSD trade this morning at 9 am gmt and a 11 pm on a 1.00 standard lot size my position is only up 9 pips or 90 gbp. I’m curious to why this is as the guy I have been emailing said FXCM demo accounts are in sync with real accounts. Any help from you or anyone would be very helpful.
Cheers Shane :v:️

Post a picture of your chart with entry.

Same prices as Oanda. About 7 pips from your entry right now

1 Like

So how come Dennis’s charts increased by over 90 pips? Thanks for the reply✌️

According to your platform you entered your trade at 1.21633. That is the green line on the chart below.

1 Like

Must have entered much later than I thought in the trend so. Thanks again for clarifying! :+1:

Market gets exactly what they wanted, a rate cut and the market selloff, go figure.

Pullback day for GBP trades, too early to tell if the pound has finished its drop

1 Like

@Dennis3450 Thanks for the amazing thread and your determination to update for almost 3 years!!

Really inspired me to take part in longer-term trade on clear trending pairs, even though SL may have to be larger sometimes. But I totally agree with the concept that risk management can be done through position sizing, keeping small lots makes trading more relax and calm.

According to today’s move, we probably will have a Top Trade for shorting JPY very soon, let’s see.

1 Like

Short the yen?
Yen is currently the strongest.

1 Like

Selloff day in the stock market catapults Yen back to #1 and puts long-tern trade GBPJPY* back on top and nearing 1000 pips

Top Trade USDGBP is still going strong as it passes 300 pips

If you are short GBP you should be all smiles, and as they overdo it on crushing the Pound there will come a time that Strong Weak will tell us when to hope on to the upside.

And to think I thought we were in for a couple of boring months

Sorry for the typo. I mean shorting JPY pairs, which means to follow the yen strength.

Would you consider GBPJPY as a new top trade, Dennis?
Or just keep tracking it as an existing one?

Yes bro tell us your entry and exit rules as I am going to tell you mine.

X7 my 23€ account in 5 trading days with 1 micro each trade (this paragraph is not a rule I normally use, I always trade 1% risk)

I always trade on the 4h. I sell when Chikou span is under the clouds AND Detredned Price Oscillator (4 periods exponential) is below zero every candle close AND PRICE Also below kijun Sen. Ichimoku default settings. And vice versa for buys.

I trade my watchlist which are the 4 strongest Vs the 4 weakest on Oanda currency strength table for the last 1 month.

TP open, TSL 1ATR(91) of daily

I exit when DPO when crosses the other side of zero.