Trading timeframes lower than the daily

Hi,

I have been around this forum for sometime now and what I can come up with from the various threads that I’ve read IS that the daily timeframe suits most of the people. However, a strategy that works in the daily timeframe might also work in the 4H and 1H timeframe, or even lower.

Lately I’ve been thinking about this and a thing has occured to my mind. It feels like it is very easy to miss a setup once it occurs in a lower timeframe. I can only referr to myself and my own situation - I’m not able to sit infront of the screen many hours each day but even if i could, there would be a limit there aswell. Let’s say that 8 hours is a pretty “normal” amount of hours to sit infront of the screen for those who “only” do that. But what about the rest of the 16 hours?

I wanna hear your thoughts about this guys. How do you do? Creating and EA? Using alarms?

Starchn

Well, the best I can tell you to try out if they work on lower time frames and see how successful you are. I trade for a living and one perk to successful trading is that you do not sit in front of your screens 16 hours a day (or 8 or 4). I do my analysis and I set my orders (I only trade with pending orders, on rare occasions to I enter a trade at market prices) and once they are placed I go back to enjoying my life. I plan my entire trade in advance, free of emotions and then do not have to sit there and monitor it. I do check on it when I feel like it, but over the years I have learned to trust myself and strategy so that I do not have to worry about it.

After a while you develop a certain rhythm and do things a certain way because they have stood the test of time. I do enjoy trading so I do not view it as a burden to take a total of 4-6 hours spread throughout the day to trade.

The conventional advice for people that are trading short time-frames is to trade a block of time on a pair with an open market. So if you’re a scalper and want to trade USD pairs; you would do it during the NY session because there is more volatility and a higher potential for clear movements from your signals. No one should spend 12+ hours worrying about trading. It’s the quickest way to get mentally exhausted which will cause mistakes. I’m a longer-term trader but if I was going to trade short time-frames I would just pick a span of hours during an open market and spend the rest of my time with my hands off.

Also- not sure what strategies you’re looking at- but I have yet to find even one that was applied the same way from day to like 5-15 minute charts. The shorter the time-frame, the more noise there is in the charts. For example, I trade Price Action which you can use on a day or a short-term chart. But there are changes you have to take into account due to the way information is collected and presented. So it’s not exactly the same. Conventional wisdom is to pick a time-frame and master it because each has their own nuances.

You are right, I keep telling newbies the same. You can’t have a strategy working across all time frames expecting consistent results (unless you consider consistent losses as your primary target).