Trading without a stop loss

While trading with out a stop loss is certainly done by many, that means you have unlimited risk to the size of the equity and more of your account.

Do you know and understand your risk tolerance?
Can you afford to blow up your account and the potial call?

The number one rule of trading is protect your capital.

2 Likes

Yes, you can trade without stop loss. But in the volatile market situations it is wise to use stop loss, or trail stop to make your trade positions more secured.

Without using stop loss technique you trading condition as a ship in an ocean without a ruder.

Sorry @Hadden but that makes no sense. Stop Loss (SL) limits your loss automatically. Itā€™s the lazy way of managing your risk. Reduce your lot sizes, play the bigger picture, and donā€™t let SLā€™s limit your growth.

1 Like

It is high volatility that crates all the problems for Stop Loss orders, when volatility spikes the spread between Bid/Ask price will widen, this also can cause price to spike below your stop price causing even a deeper loss than you expected

Great way to think of it! I like that.

KC

Let me answer you with a question, Ever tried sky diving without a parachute? obviously no, you would not be here to ask this question. Make the stop loss your friend. The important question here should be, how and where do you place your stop loss. Very important.

1 Like

Then there is the other side. If the Swiss decide to cut loose from the euro, I do not want to chance being at odds with my broker - hey wait a minute - they did that already!

Hey @bobart, The Swiss Franc was a market move/correction that was so dramatic that many Stops were triggered way past their level and filled even later again. So a SL on a Chart wonā€™t save you from Black Swan anomalies such as thisā€¦ Having Zero Balance Account protection will save you from losing more than you have investedā€¦

I have many accounts of a few thousand dollars running at all times across multiple Brokerages and withdraw regularlyā€¦ if another event occurs such as above and I have positions openā€¦ I may lose that particular account but my overall trading funds are out of harms way (unless the MM goes bust)ā€¦ Just part of a risk minimization strategy that I have shown in this forumā€¦ over and over and over againā€¦

So when I read of new traders dumping 10k, 20k, 30k worth of funds into various brokerages around the globeā€¦ and ESMAā€™s 1:30 leverage regulation in Europe complicitly ensuring traders have to deposit even larger volumes just to stand next to the Craps tableā€¦ I just shake my headā€¦

2 Likes

I see what you mean, Trends, and that is something I have thought to do in the past. I will give it a think as to how to manage regular transfers - how much and which accounts. Thanks.

1 Like

I put on some shocking DD Thursday and Friday ahead of NFP. Didnt get many pips friday (in this account), just accumulation short on EURAUD and accumulation long on NZDCHF contratrend.
DD is excessive for most, and dont anyone try to trade like this with this kind of DD, without a lot of demo testing first to test your skills, ultimately trading is all about managing your DD, and for me, the more DD (risk) I put on the more (risk) I am able to take off (in profit). Yes DD is max here for me, good thing my broker allows depsosits in between market close friday and market open Sunday :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I see you took a dip friday as did I, I had hoped to do a few smackdowns but not much was cooperating, NFP days are tricky to trade, price goes like a chicken with no head it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

looking good though DroneTrading!
:star_struck:

1 Like

this of of course a GREAT tip! its so excellent to enter where you are normally getting stopped out :slight_smile:

1 Like

wiser words were never said!

you dont need a parachute when you can really fly (trade), it takes practice to get that good, lots of it, but the time invested is well worth it, if you stay with it and see it to the end. I mean imagine not working for the ā€œmanā€ and be working (trading) for yourself.

1 Like

thanks bruā€¦ya no worries on the dips :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this. :slight_smile: Will see if I can play around with this one. But in my demo trading so far, itā€™s been rare for me to get stopped out Iā€™m also trying out trading using daily charts.

Stop losses DO NOT LIMIT RISK! here is my long lost brother!

donā€™t miss this! you may need to watch it a COUPLE TIMES, or just keep on doing what you are doing using a stop lsos and you will likely die of 1000 (CUTS) stop losses!

Mr Norman is correct in what he clearly states in the video!

1 Like

So I listened and in part I do agree, I say in part because as he say and presumes that the trader understands where the market is going and because of this there is no need for SL to ruin your trade before its time.

As I said I agree in part and that is the catch especially for new traders that do not have a good understand of the macroeconomics of the majors and the interaction.

And of course if you disregard the SL usage then you risk is sole based on your equity, all of your equity.

However there is another way to skin this cat.
when a trade is entered use a wide SL to allow your trade to breath, when the trade moves profitable either remove the SL, move it to break even or maybe just put on a trailing SL onvec the trade is in profit.

1 Like

This is true, but the main problem is that many see stop loss as limiting the amount of profit they could make. So they rather not use it at all, but I suggest it especially for newbies. I am not even scared of slippages with stop losses because Forexchief platform is free of it.