Trailing stops, fixed or none?

I use moving stop loss and I have to say it does require constant supervision and attention. Like if I’m trading with say Ig for instance, I have to keep moving my stop loss every time when the indicator changes. It also requires some discipline to be able to trade peacefully. In fact I do occasionally mull over not using sl

Discipline is pretty important in trading whether you’re trading a fixed sl or moving. Something we can’t afford to let go off, unless of course, you have extra money lying up and you don’t care if you crash big :slight_smile:

As long as you are an active or short-term trader, fixed profit targets are a better option for you. But trailing stops are a better option for passive traders who can make the big moves in the market following consolidation breakouts.

I find fixed stops better in a way that they eliminate many of the emotional aspects of trading. It’s true that a trader who sets his stops after entering the market is likely to respond emotionally to price movements. But when you determine stops before entering the market, it is done more objectively and without any pressure that you may face when you are already in the trade.

My reason for using trailing stops is that they are more flexible than fixed stop loss orders, as they automatically track the price direction. I don’t even have to manually reset it over and over again. Trust me it makes life so much simpler!

Sorry to disagree because I really believe that fixed stops can limit the upside on a trade. Sometimes, a trader may catch a runner but exit because of the fixed approach. It’s like leaving money on the table. But with trailing stops, your upside is potentially not limited and you can maximize your profits if you catch a runner trade.

The main motive of using trailing stops and traditional stop loss is to avoid losses. So, it doesn’t matter what you are using as long as you are able to reach your financial goals and targets with your strategy. I like to diversify my trades and so, sometimes it is trailing stops with fxview and other times, I use fixed stop loss with plus500 as per the trading strategy I am using. And really, there is no math or logic behind why I use one kind of set up with one broker and different with other. I just simply like having distinct set ups.

I agree that stop losses can reduce large losses but it can also lead to lower returns. But trailing stops help better in managing a position and also help in protecting the capital in a trading account. As they filter market noise and establish an emotional balance in my mind, I prefer them over any other option while trading with Trading 212.

I don’t think that trailing stops are always helpful because most times, the forex market trades in ranges. It gets frustrating to close the entire position when the market has reached a certain measured move and you have only half of the potential profit. It is undoubtedly a great money management move but can lead to lower returns.

I am not sure why traders can’t see that trailing stops can help them make the most of the market conditions. The stop can be in the positive territory after a bearish break. As there are no emotions to influence the trading decision, all you have to do is sit back and wait for the close before trailing the stop to the next level.

The biggest advantage of using trailing stops that I see is that the emotional roller-coaster gets minimised to a very low level. You have the option of booking half of the profit and releasing the much-needed margin in your trading account.

All I know is that every trader’s sole aim is to prevent losses whether or not they are making any losses. It can be with or without stops of any kind. I mostly use trailing stops but also have nothing to say against fixed stop losses. As a beginner, I used to use stop loss with Alpari and Forexcom. But after I gained some experience, I found trailing stops to be more fruitful and use them with Fxview and have been making better returns.

I fail to understand why it’s not designed to move when prices fall. It should ideally follow the same logic that it does when prices go up.

Fixed stops do the same job isn’t it?