Understanding martingale strategy and calculation

Hello,

I use an EA that employs the Martingale trading strategy. I would appreciate your assistance in understanding the calculations that determine take profit, stop loss, range, and lot size multiplier.

Here are the parameters:

1. Range = 21 pips (distance between trades in a sequence)
  2. Initial lot = 0.01
  3. Multiplier Lot size = 1.7
  4. Maximum trade = 12 (maximum Martingale trade sequence)
  5. TP (Take Profit) = 30 pips
  6. SL (Stop Loss) = 253 pips
  7. Star_ModifTp = 4 (This means that when the number of orders = 4 orders, the take profit will be modified at the last order price)

Based on my understanding, the calculation for Stop Loss is: SL = (Maximum Trade x Range) + 1, which results in 253 = (12 x 21) + 1.

The Take Profit formula is: TP = (Range + Broker Spread) + 9, leading to 30 = (21 + 0) + 9.

I am seeking your guidance on how the values for range (21), multiplier (1.7), and maximum trade (12) are decided. Additionally, I would like to know how I can minimize risk by adjusting these values. I experimented with a multiplier of 1.4, but it resulted in losses upon reversal. I also tried changing the range, take profit, and maximum trade, but default values seem to yield profits upon reversal.

I hope you can help me understand the mathematical calculations behind this Martingale strategy and guide me in determining new values that minimize risk.

Thank you.

1 Like

Sounds very similar to something I tried a few years ago. Needless to say, it didn’t work. It’d work for a couple of weeks and then lose everything on one bad day

Martingale is always risky. One day it turn account to zero. I am not going to trade all the time only when the market in not in trend.

Can you explain this calculation and working function if you know.

It has to be 1.7 because that’s the ratio between TP and SL. If it’s lower than 1.7, then the second position doesn’t make enough profit to cancel out the first one’s loss.

The problem with this system is essentially in your data though. TP is 30 pips, that is fixed, you will only ever make that amount. But your SL is 253 pips. To have your risk over 8 times the size of your reward is crazy.

2 Likes

This is of course quite right.

Also to increase the position-size after a losing trade is completely crazy anyway.

2 Likes

I didn’t bother trying to understand all this mumbo jumbo just to save my brain the stress.

But you see, at the sound of that word “MARTINGALE” I cringe.:unamused:

There’s no safe net as long as this strategy is concerned.

Few months ago before I decided to learn forex. I was following the signals for binary options trading sent to a telegram channel. The trader uses this martingale strategy.

At first I was feeling so blessed, I started with $20 and in just a week I was already a little above $100. I had to tell friend who gave me $50 to help him trade, then I added an extra $100.

With the signals I made close to $200 or more within the space of 2 weeks after I started with $20.

BUT!

I guess I ran out of luck, with just one wrong signal, I lost more than half of the profit made in just one day😢

Then I wasn’t so lucky anymore with the signals, gradually I lost everything.:slightly_frowning_face:

Bottom line, the martingale strategy is a suicidal strategy. I can advice anyone to go for it.

2 Likes

Yes true. This the reason i want to understand the calculation behind this. So, i can set TP, SL, Multiplier and Range to lower numbers.

Like instead of 12 martingale sequence, i will try 5 sequence.

What should be good risk to reward than?

everything is a game of numbers

There are two main opinions.

It depends who you ask and what you read.

If you ask successful or professional traders, they usually say 0.7 or 0.75 reward to risk (=1.3 or 1.4 risk to reward) but if you ask beginners or people in forums they often say 2.0 or even higher reward to risk (=0.5 or even lower risk to reward).

I know who I believe.

I am a maths teacher, so I know this is right. But the people who do not want to hear it will not listen to it. They will tell you that everything is a game of numbers, as if they imagine that these vague words somehow justify their own mistaken beliefs. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I do understand Martingale is risky and suicidal strategy. But i still want to try atleast in Demo or cent account.

Help me understand above calculation. So, i can minimize the risk of suicide (Martingale). What i understand, i made new calculation but it fail badly.

1. Range = 5 pips (distance between trades in a sequence)
2. Initial lot = 0.01
3. Multiplier Lot size = 1.2
4. Maximum trade = 6 
5. TP (Take Profit) = 10 pips
6. SL (Stop Loss) = 31 pips
7. Star_ModifTp = 4

This is like asking someone to help you to commit suicide - to see if you like it. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes, a kind off. I have planned to trade only on non-trending market or when the market is in range and avoiding high impact events.

I believe, i can book profit without being greedy. That the reason i want to understand this calculation.

Not everything…and even out of those things that are game of numbers, don’t always follow the rule of 1+1=2.

That’s life.

Little wonder they say it’s better to be a “profitable trader” than a “professional trader.”

They’re both with the “pro” but one “pro” beats the other.

I do understand everything is not numbers in real life. But still it helps if you help me understand above martingale calculation?

I really don’t understand all those parameters used here and where you got this, but the martingale I know is quite straightforward.

Simply N

Where N is your initial trade amount.

If you lost the trade, your next position would be, Nx2, and if you lost again, your next position would be (Nx2)x2, and so on.

Your stop loss and take profit will be determined by you risk-reward ratio. Ideally, it shouldn’t be more than 1:2, you can do from 1:1 to 1:2.If from your analysis 20pips is your stop loss, then your take profit, using the mentioned rrr, should range from 20pips to 40pips.

Unless there’s another martingale strategy.:man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

This is basic concept of Martingale. Martingale is not simple as you describe. it not always 2x and it have distance, gaps and much more.

Anyways, Thanks you for answering it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Martingale only works to recover losses, even then you want to use other strategies where possible, it never works to generate sustainable profits, there are no exceptions.

How does the market know whether you were in loss, at the point when you started using it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Interesting interpretation :grinning: