Understanding Price Action by Chris Capre

Yeah, mainly pa patterns, and a mix of indicators I designed myself and popular one like parabolic SAR and moving averages.

Im using the babypips app right now on my phone, but tommorow, ill post a screenshot of entry and exitā€¦ If you remember from a while back I said I was demoing a 5 minute system, well its the same system and it appears to give me good winners on a daily basis.

So look forward to that. If you look at a AUDUSD 5 minute chart, youll clearly see the bull move Im talking about. I dont have fixed stops, it all depends on how big the trigger candle is.

Btw: For babypip app developer, you need to add in a feature to like other peoples posts, because right now I cant do that on your app!

are you using MT4 or what platform are you using?

Some very nice trading sandlent. Good snag on another with trend trade. Entry and target were really well done.

And yes, very good attitude about being focused on the knowledge building and process first. I just wrote an article on my site about this, and the fastest way to become successful at trading - so well done on your part.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

We had this talk before if you remember? But again, I use MT4 for charting, but I actually execute using my brokers order form/ticket, which works for me.

So ill post a screenshot of my MT4 chart tommorow.

Hope that helps.
Apex.

Interesting
So you actually have nothing on your broker chart which shows the actual entry and exit other than lines you draw?
If Iā€™m correct, MT4 has a feature you can go into the activity log or journal, and it will pull up the chart with the actual entry and exit.

But if its just lines, no need mate, as I like people to see the actual charts from the broker which gives them confidence they can do it when they see real trades from the brokers charts. This actually activates ā€˜mirror neuronsā€™ in a personā€™s brain, which help their brains to do successful trades as well - hence why I want people to see the actual broker showing the entry and exit.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

ā€œWhen you are trading a 5m chart, a 30m chart, a 1hr, chart, or ANY time frame chart - you are always using the context/story around the price action (be it a pin bar, inside bar, engulfing bar, etc.) to validate the actual signal.ā€

Mr. Capre, at the risk of sounding like a ā€œchin wiping fanboyā€. You usage of the term "Contextā€™ is excellent. I would like to add to this ā€œpremiseā€, IE pin bar etc. Every trader should know three things before entering a trade, Risk/Stop, Context, and Premise.

The Ever Pibe VIPER

Hello TV,

Very well said Viper - could not agree more on the three things you mention being necessary before each trade.

And thanks for the positive comment.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Hello Traders,

So Iā€™ve been discussing over the last few days, buying the EU and GU on dips into dynamic support. yesterday I recommended a buy on EU around 1.3250 and the 4hr 20ema. This played out to the tee (see chart below), bouncing over 90pips from the dynamic support - so hopefully you profited from this.

If the model still holds, traders not already long can look for pullbacks into 3300 and 3275, targeting 3350 and 3450.

Good hunting.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

I see. Thanks for the insight. Iā€™m currently in a bad position, i shorted at 13197 as it looked like it was about to return to the norm at 12997. Now it doesnt appear to be so until it goes to 1.34x before turning to visit 127 again?

Hello Flam,

Well its hard for me to comment because I donā€™t know the strategy you used to get in.
Did it have a stop? Has the stop still not gotten hit?

Reason I ask is, it looks like you had a 200 pip target, and although not sure of your stop, it seems like a 200 pip stop, thus making the R:R about 1:1.

If thats the case, did you risk a fixed % of your acct to start off with? Did you accept the risk from the outset?

Perhaps you can answer a few questions before I respond.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

I have been trying to read up on PA strategies and it appears to me oddly that if the price gets higher, the bigger the fall later albeit the larger the distance the longer the time taken. Iā€™m still quite new to this so figuring out RR ratios is kinda confusing. I once had 40pip target with 40pip SL trading intra day but i keep getting stopped out only to have the price return to my TP and even lower.

So it may seem silly but Iā€™m thinking if I have a larger draw down I will aim a bigger TP? Iā€™m prepared to blow my first trading account to learn so that gets the monetary psychology out of the way first.

Hello Flam,

I think its not the best idea to go with the idea ā€˜oh, its climbed so high, so it has to fall fartherā€™. This is not by any means the case. Price doesnā€™t have to do anything but follow the order flow.

I think you need to draw a line in the sand and say (ok, iā€™m not going over 1:1 R:R), and then if you get hit - you get hit.

Also, notice how much time, energy and mental capital this trade is taking from you? You need to be focused on new trade opportunities, not playing damage control.

So set a stop, and then just let it hit TP or SL so you can move on. Other options are; 1) just close it and move on. it only has 45pips to go 1:1 negative, yet 360+ to hit TP or 150 just to get to BE, other option is 2) find an area where you can get some of your losses back, exit - then move on.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Thanksā€¦ that sounds like good adviseā€¦ I also understand that new traders like me should focus on 1 currency pair firstā€¦
The E/U pair seems to be on a strong up trend since last week of may. but it looks like its gonna complete wave 5 of the Elliot Wave targeting 1.3475? I have a fib 61 level there down swing from july 2008 to may 2010.

will a short there give a good RR? assuming the fib levels provide rejectionā€¦

Two things;

1. I donā€™t trade elliot wave so cannot comment on that.

2. why are you looking for shorts when youā€™ve recognized its in a good uptrend?

Trade with the trend as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Fair enough, I understandā€¦ 10+RR does sound dubious, I tell you what though, ill set up a FXCM demo, because I really dont like executing on the MT4 platform, and I couldnt stand being called a liar, if thats what your suggesting?
But I understand in any case, ill open a FXCM demo since they show entry and exit.

Hope that helps.
Apex.

thanks mate
tis appreciated

Hi Chris

A few days ago you mentioned a write up about consistency, is this still going to happen, or are you waiting for more responses first?

I can go long till the fib level but it has held a few times so my guess is that I should exit there and maybe watch?

Hello Flam, and why are you still in a bad trade with so many chances on the upside? Donā€™t be weighed down by the disposition effect. Cut it and move on!