Valuable Currency Index Charts

Currency Index charts are rarely talked about in threads or guru videos. I really wonder why. If you have not used them then let me tell you that you are making a big mistake.

Since I started using them I have made such great progress. I am really able to predict a movement before it happens with alot more accuracy than just looking at a single pair.

Why does this work? Well think about it. If you are trading the EURGBP pair for example, you are only analyzing one pair of 13 which those two currencies are involved in. That is of course if we are just focusing on the 8 major currencies.

So what does this mean? If the EURGBP chart shows a trend line , how much confidence can you have in that trend line when it represents only one chart out of 13 in which those two currencies reside? not a lot i’m afraid.

The index charts give an overall representation of each currencies strength against all other currencies. Thus if you draw a trend line or sup/res line on a currency index chart, it will hold much more weight!

Let me explain why this is so great. Lets assume the EURGBP chart has just broken trend.

Now what do the guru’s teach? They tell you that break out pull backs mean you want to buy this pull back for a long entry. Well how many of you have done this only to watch price fall back into the trend and go on tilt?

Before you tell me “no they teach only breakout pull back when the breakout is clean with a long bar. This breakout is weak”
That may or may not be true but it’s lousy information either way. Just change the time frame and what appeared to be a weak breakout on a 1 hr chart might be a clean breakout on a 4 hr chart! you see what I mean? Don’t use this alone to determine what is a valid breakout. The index charts help do this.

Let us analysis the index charts to tell us what to do next.

Have either of these index charts broken trend? no so why on earth would we want to buy the pull back? Why would we want to buy the Euro when the Euro has just clearly bounced of the trend line on the index ready for another down move? And the same time the GBP has reached support ready for another move up. Think about this it’s so important…

On a currency pair chart we all no not to buy into resistance or sell into support. But here is the thing… Are you buying into resistance or selling into support on the index charts? How do you know if you didn’t look?

The Guru’s are bad plain an simple. I can say this because they do not teach this and I believe the index charts are the key to success.

So what happens next on the EUR GBP?

That’s right it fell back into the trend. The thing is, the currency charts told us this was likely. We did not place a long trade on the pull back. Infact I placed a short trade knowing exactly where price would go. I t was high probabilty that price would reach the lower support level. Here is my trade

So lets check the index charts now to see why the price fell to this level in the next post. Can only have 5 pics per post.

1 Like

Now doesn’t this look clean and simple? The EUR index trend simply continued. No fuss

Now the GBP did not continue trend. We can see it went side ways. This is okay because you only need one currency of the two to move as long as the other does not go opposite. The strength of the EUR down move gave us the result we see on the EURGBP chart.

And now I have valuable information. The EUR is still strong in a down trend. The GBP has weakened and i’m looking at a trend reversal.

The index charts tell me this. Not a random guess by looking at the EURGBP chart.

Read this a few times if it doesn’t make sense. Do yourself a favor and use index charts. You won’t regret.

No Interest? I’ll provide more examples if people want. Until then, nevermind.

Epi, use it all the time, though not exactly as you have shown.

My interest is usually Eur/Usd and Gbp/Usd, so obvious index is USDX.

Reality is I do look at the usdx, but I pay close attention to Eur/Gbp for currency buying/selling/

Today - Eur/Usd is down, so without reference the thought is 'oh the Euro is selling, or the Euro is weak, probably Draghi or some TA analysis.

But was it really Euro selling and Draghi, or was there USD buying, or was it mixed?

Like your currency index, go ask Eur/Gbp and Gbp/Usd, then check Eur/Gbp - Euro selling today? - nope.

Usd buying today - yep.

That’s cool. I trade rather different to most. I let the 8 currency index charts tell me which pair to trade. I wait for two currencies to hit key sup/res or trend lines. One must be in an up trend and another in a down trend. This is the opportune trading setup. One strong vs one weak. To have support behind you on both currencies is the key here. It rises the probability massively.

Most people just look at a pair chart and think they can predict the future. Why do they not pay attention to the actual currency strengths …

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi folks, how do you put the indexes chart on mt4?

Hi Epidot,

Many thanks for sharing your experiences, I heavily agree with the importances of applying the currency indices for analysis.
Regarding the USD, do you use DXY or rather FXCM and why?
Also, do you have an overview of the weightings in all major indices?
Furthermore, how do you approach extended periods of non-directionality, do you stay out of any trades for weeks and weeks, or will you zoom into shorter timeframes to capture smaller swings?

Many thanks & keep it up!

Epi; I want more chart from you with your words! I basically enjoyed your descriptions. Good job.

Hi @Epidot, thanks for the great post, couldn’t agree more!

Could you recommend a good provider of the currency indices signals?
It seems not a lot of brokers/charting platforms offer them.
Tradingview does, but in general the indices seem to miss a lot of data points.

Glad to hear.

Many thanks,

Matthias.