Very successful scalping, diseaster day trading! How to fix it?

I can double my account scalping the 1 minute chart (that’s the final balance, including all good and bad tades), just to loose it all day trading and swing trading. What’s going on? Why can I have successul trades only when scalping? How to fix it? In addition, I make money only on sell orders, my eyes never see any good opportunity to buy. It’s been like this for months. Whenever I get very low ballance on my account I grow it scalping and than keep trying to learn to keep a position for longer but always only loose money. So recover by scalping again and so it goes roung and round… Any suggestions where is the problem??

I think your type on trading is scalping guy. It nothing wrong. You have to stick with it then your account will grown flow (^ ^)

Yea, but thats not really a solution, its just a way around it. Scalping is too time consuming, the setups don’t come often and I might get a heart attack doing it too often. I’d rather slowly and surely watch my account grow.

You want to slow I understand right? If answer is yes, You should trade hight time frame like H4 chart and select type as Intraday or Day trade. You will have time for analysis

Do you use same strategy for scalping and swing trading?

Hello
I would think its the other way around since scalping is done mostly on smaller time frames and swing trading on longer frames.

Scalping opportunities should be more frequent and swing trades take longer to develop

[quote=“pazartesi, post:3, topic:118102, full:true”]
I’d rather slowly and surely watch my account grow.[/quote]

Scalping is too time consuming but you would rather SLOWLY watch your account grow? Seems a bit contradictory.

Anyways, if your having success scalping maybe you should contine to scalp.

Good luck to you

Hi. Thanks for your comments. Scalping is too consuming for me, as my specific setup doesnt come often and since I’m looking on a one minute chart, I need to stare at the screen non-stop to catch the right moment. spending a few hours in front of the screen and than miss the trade just because you leave for a moment to get a coffee is so frustrating.
On the other hand, working with longer timeframes, you have enough time to keep an eye on it while doing other things and just come to the screen once your setup is almost ready.

I’d like to believe I do, at least that is what I am aiming for but I must be doing something different somewhere. I cannot Identify what it is. I’m just using price action. when I enter on a 1minute chart it is usually correct. but when I enter on a bigger timeframe thats a loss or a minimal profit if I am lucky.

If you’re making money scalping, do more of it.

Yes, scalping is time-consuming. So, if you’re spending say 10 hours a day screen-watching, if you can make 10% more money and you can cut this to 9hrs. 10% more and cut it to 8, 10% more and cut it to 7. Pretty soon you’ve got the afternoons off. Inagine if you had a job and your boss said, “Hey pazartesi, you can have the same salary but please go to the beach every afternoon.”

Easier to do better at what you’re doing well than to learn an entirely new skill.

If you can make money off scalping (which is very hard to do IMO), then I think you should continue doing it. Have you considered just trading certain sessions only? e.g. the NY/London overlap? Perhaps try to identify the sessions or hours where you’re most profitable, and only trade those hours?

These are all good suggestions however I am still quite new to trading and have a day job thats way I cant find time to scalp enough to make income to leave the job… For now I can do it only when I take a day off or be sneaky and extend my lunchbreak a bit :wink: Longer timeframes would be more suitable for me while I need to work. Hence, not giving up.

If you have a day job that will limit your screen time and could mean that neither scalping nor a longer-term strategy will get the best of your efforts and attention.

For a longer-term strategy that has low work required I would recommend trend-following. Its all I do (as I am rubbish at day-trading). I look at charts each evening and set or re-set orders and stops. then I go off and do other stuff during the day.

Thats a good point actually, tommor. when I think of it maybe I’m not re-setting and adjusting my orders enough after my first analysis on longer trades.

You can change your trading timeframe but it’s harder to change your personality. If you’re having trouble swing trading then it’s just as likely that you’re not doing anything ‘wrong’ but that it doesn’t suit you as well as scalping.

If you’re good at scalping, then maybe it’s better to do less of it, but raise the size of your average trade so that you don’t have to trade as often to earn the same profit.

Could an indicator be coded to alert you when a setup is forming or does it require you to react within a few ticks?

Why you not keep trading with scalping, if you can profitable with these strategy, different with me that often fail if trading with scalping, I think better you trading scalping and make your money growth day by day than trying swing trading

I agree - how can it be a problem, that needs to be “fixed”, to be able to double your account so reliably?

I can’t.

Why not just keep doubling your account, and retire young and rich?

What a lovely problem to have, I cant short term trade like that to save my life !

I’m going to practice it demo - But I agree - double your account withdraw 25% double it withdraw 25% double it withdraw 25% - you now have a bigger reserve fund than your initial deposit and are trading purely on winnings.

Increase your stake size as long as you are winning. Doubling your account is a very powerful system ! I’d love to know how yu do it !

How long does it take you to “double up” normally ?

I mentioned before, I still have a day job so have very few chances at scalping, since you really need a good volatility and big moves to make money like that. After work in the evenings there isnt much happening at the charts. So when I get the time occasionally, I can make some profits, in the meantime, I just keep loosing whatever I made to swing trading. And how to "double" the account? It is not so difficult if you have a small account, take huge risks with position sizing and got the self-control to open only high probability trades. I wouldnt probably take such risks once I got some seriously big money on it. So the bigger the account the slower it grows (in percentage).

Maybe I need to word the question differently because you are all talking about scalping and that much about longer timeframes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, I need to react extremely fast. As for the indicators and alerts, you set them to a certain price level but I work with the speed of how fast the price is moving. I don`t think you cat set up an alert for a price speeding up or slowing down. Or can you?

As far as I know, PA works on all time frames including high time frames! But maybe it’s your psychological problem; maybe you pickup only wrong entry points during your swing trading.