We are going to test the 200 week EMA...how is that then!

Hi all.

I was reading this article this morning which says:

The size of the candlestick is rather impressive, and it does suggest that perhaps we are going to test the 200-Week EMA above, closer to the 1.11 level.

So…I go into MT5, use Weekly chart, and turn on a Double Exponential Moving Average line, which for me sits at:1.07080

EUR/USD W1 19/06/23

So what am I doing wrong. Christopher James is clearly right…but I want to see what they mean by ‘closer to the 1.11 level’ – as for me the , the pair is currently trading above the 200 week EMA if I have calculated that correctly?!

Some chart programmes do not adjust the indicator time-frame when the user adjusts the chart time-fame. This means that if the default MA time-frame is D1, it might possibly be that the charts from that programme always show D1 MA’s, even if the chart time-frame has been changed to weekly or monthly or even 5-minutes. Check your MA time-frame setting.

That said, I have never heard a trader saying the 200-week MA was useful for anything.

1 Like

Except whether it is useful or not is not of huge interest here. And you just did read it. :slight_smile:
In this example - If i pick the W1 chart, and redraw the 200 interval DEMA, it still isn’t lining up.

On the W1 chart is the 200DEMA daily or definitely weekly?

My understanding was:

That the period applied is in relation to the opened chart (weekly in this case) . Can a more experienced trader confirm?

yes - that’s correct

definitely weekly

that’s for sure! - and it isn’t

you’re comparing the levels of two different indicators and apparently expecting them to be the same (one is EMA and the other is DEMA; why should they be the same?)

Even when I use EMA instead of DEMA it doesn’t match. @flamingoproxy if you have a go for this date and time can you make the calculation line up!?