Website feedback

2 posts were split to a new topic: Solicitation Concern

After a decade of reading, is BP buying me a new pair of glasses? Whoever designed this interface is trying to get all members myopic. Made me sign up to post a critique, what gives.

Thanks for the feedback. The content is being hidden. You can’t see it unless you decide that you want to see it. In some situations, mainly where members are flagging content, we’re taking potentially inappropriate content directly away from the viewing public, some times without the need for a moderator to be around. You, as the reader, have to decide to take action to view it. It’s a departure from the remove-now-ask-questions-later approach from vBulletin, or spam or inappropriate posts not getting immediate attention from staff . Blatant spam still gets deleted after moderator review. Also, clicking to view hidden content allows members to have the confidence that posts are not being flagged and hidden inappropriately by the community. And if you feel posts are being hidden inappropriately, you can cite the hidden post content and make a case that it should not have been hidden to begin with. This is a solution to what many members have asked for repeatedly - giving community members more power to police the forums for questionable content.

We think it’s a great feature, giving members that ability to hide objectionable content, but still giving readers access to that content if they feel the need to see it. Once the reasoning behind the feature is explained and experienced longer term, we think it will make more sense when you see hidden posts.

But we can absolutely review the 30 day setting and determine what other Discourse communities are doing with the notification text. The 30 days was the system default, shipped with the new platform, so if can be changed. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you give us a bit more detail about what you don’t like? Background color and font color combination? Font type? Font size? Colors?

Let us know and we can take that back to the design team. Thanks!

Not in any realistic or meaningful way. People can still see it.

That brings me back to saying that you’re doing no more than pretending to conceal something while actually drawing attention to it.

You haven’t answered my concern at all.

Hiding the content without having a link that says, effectively “Click here to see what we’ve hidden” would answer it completely, and that’s how other forum admininstrators use that kind of feature.

It comes down to a very simple question: which works better, having that link there or not having it there. It’s a tiny, simple thing, but makes an enormous difference to the result. At the moment what you say you’re trying to do is being completely confounded by the way you’re trying to do it, and it would be really easy to change that.

This is where I’m going to disagree with you. It is hidden. You can’t see it unless you act and click it. You’re making that decision. Don’t click, it stays hidden. Click it, it becomes visible. You understand that hidden content has been hidden for a particular reason, most likely because it is low value or spam or off-topic.

As I mentioned previously, we are looking at what other communities are doing with the exact text/notification.

It’s exactly the same thing as the sales copywriters’ trick of using headlines “The information they didn’t want you to know”.

It’s a way of making something more prominent, and drawing attention to it.

Copywriters are still using that time-honoured technique because it works. And that’s the outcome (whether intended or not) of what you’re doing. As I said, you’re only pretending to hide the spam whilst actually drawing attention to it.

Thanks for replying, but nowhere in this conversation have you attempted to answer my simple question: do you think it’s more hidden by having a link there saying “Click to read what we removed” or by not having a link there saying that?

I think we can all see why you won’t answer that.

It only has one answer, doesn’t it?

The answer is, yes, we’re happy with the implementation of the hidden post feature and accompanying link text. We completely understand your sales copywriter comparison. But we also know that not everybody responds to copy like you do. Some users are drawn to it and feel the need to click it, others are not and will continue down the stream of posts and conversation, ignoring it completely. You’re one of two people to bring this to our attention since launch. If the feeling becomes more widespread and more users feel the same, we’ll be more inclined to make a change.

But we’re receptive to your feedback, so we will look at what other communities and websites are doing in similar situations and take that into account.

But not receptive enough actually to answer Quickly’s question.

You’ve made it clear that it matters that such content is hidden.

Do you think it’s better hidden WITH a link saying “Click here to see the content” or WITHOUT such a link?

It’s a simple, binary question, Mr. Pipstradamus. Is it more effectively hidden WITH that link or WITHOUT it?

What’s the answer?

I enjoy white, like Steve Jobs and his Mac, yet the font is not sufficiently thick to compliment the beauty of a pure backdrop. The words seemingly fades and make folks like me squint with reading glasses. Surely no size fits all, so a suggestion for the developer to introduce a limited number of options for readers to choose their individual preference? Perhaps just a white or gray background, and the size of fonts. A simple job.

Both questions were answered. Yes, we’re happy with the feature, and yes, we’re happy with the link text.

We’re testing different font colors and sizes as we speak. “Themes”, a way to change background and site colors, are something that won’t be possible until we upgrade to the next version of the platform. That will require considerable testing on our part because the update is a major release, and updates several different areas and systems that run within the forums, while also including changes to mobile design and function. Thanks for the feedback.

He won’t answer that, Charlie.

He’ll say “Both questions were answered” but he won’t answer that.

He can’t admit “It would be more effectively hidden without the link” because that would unravel his entire argument and expose it for what it is.

It’s his forum, and if he invites feedback but then won’t answer a totally legitimate and obvious question, there’s nothing you can do about it, and everyone can see why he won’t. I suggest you drop it, now. I will, also.

1 Like

It’s not a question about hiding effectively. We’re offering options, not trying to make the content disappear. We can argue this point forever, but if you don’t take my comments as an answer, I can’t do anything more than I’ve done. But that’s the last we’ll chat about this feature beyond what I’ve already stated.

I am not suggesting “themes”, just some buttons which could limitedly change color and size. Irregardless, may this not be the decline of a once inspiring website. All the best.

Sure, we’re talking about the same thing. What we’ve seen in other forums is a drop-down menu with different color themes, usually one light and one dark, that changes more than just background color. If you have an example implementation at another website you’d like us to look at, please share a link and we can take a look. We’ll be testing out this type of feature in the next version update of our forums software. We’re also still testing font color and size internally and hope to have some changes very soon. Thanks for your patience.

I would like to mention (for what it is worth!) that I really like the ability to drag/drop or copy/paste graphics and pics, etc direct into the dialog box! It saves a lot of time and effort. You can even drop them direct from another web page without even having to save them first! :slight_smile: Maybe I use this more than the average poster, but it is so easy and effortless compared with the old version!

Also, I really like the side by side preview, I am terrible at typos and it is so easy to quickly read through and adjust/amend a post before posting.

The site also seems a lot more stable and I don’t lose my writings before I manage to post them like I used to (which was probably an anti-waffle filter anyway! :smiley: )

But in my opinion the site has still lost a sense of belonging, community and status that we were used to. It seems the proportion of posts from brokers, commercial interests and Newbies now far outweighs the input from seasoned, experienced and useful traders. I wonder why that is?

Previously it was possible to see immediately from a post whether the poster was a long term poster or a newbie and one soon got to know who was worth listening to and who was a waste of time in spite of numerous posts. But that is not so clear any more. The miniscule avatars, lack of titles and lack of joining date/post numbers, means every poster is in the same class. OK, I know all these stats are available if one digs for them, but why should one have to? Previously , if I saw an avatar that was familiar and immediately saw the poster had been here for xxx years with xxxx posts, then it was certainly worthy of attention, even if it (rarely) turned out to be a fake or “social” trader.

I still don’t like the impersonal, sterile layout and feel of this site, but it functions in a very impressive way and I really do like that :slight_smile:

Yep, hopefully it’s getting read.

The ‘feel’ aspect comes with use.

There has been an improvement in the tool tip. Next is the simple stuff, the navigation.

We operate in seconds, a web designer lives within his/her own mind, everything is laid out in how that designer thinks, it seems so simple.

I just posted in a thread, so now back to an index… there is an array of menu items at the bottom which are of no meaning like flag, share, invite etc… all I want is to go back

Instinct is to look to the top of the page for navigation, but it is infinite

1 Like

Hello peterma. To get back to the index/forums homepage, click on the Forums logo at the top of the page. The logo can be green or white, depending on how far down the page you are.

Green logo:

White logo:

Also take note, in the second image labelled White logo, everything you see is clickable.

• You can click on the logo to go back to the forums homepage,
  • You can click on the topic/thread title (in this example, “Website feedback”) to go to the first post in the thread
  • You can click on either of the breadcrumb elements to go to the Community category index or the Community Feedback sub-category index.

I hope those tips help you get around easier.

Yeah, I was talking out loud using the thoughts of a new reader, as a designer of layout and content I want not to lose his interest.

As you know interest can wane very quickly, the logo is simple, but it really should be shaped as a little house to make it intuitive.