What are some things I should really try to avoid

Well, picture this: you have plans, you are trading, everything is good, and then you see your strategy is not working and you are losing. In this situation, it’s better to stop trading and refine your strategy. But if you get angry and lose control over your emotions and keep trading with the notion that you are taking revenge from the market for your loss, that is called revenge trading.

1 Like

Overthinking!
By doing this you can miss perfect opportunities for an entry. How to avoid it? Use proper risk-management strategy. This is protecting your capital, don’t be afraid of losing trade. The main reason for overthinking is the uncertainty of whether it would be a winning trade or not. If you employ a proper risk-management strategy if you are disciplined in applying it, then you should not be afraid of one or two losing trades. Just hit that button and execute your trade.

1 Like

Man, just don’t neglect learning. The majority of traders who enter the market, stop at basics of margin trading and then start trading on the real account knowing no peculiairites of the market behavior.
That’s a huge mistake, as to me. You can trade, but you should learn also, and it doesn’t mean you need to read articles or books, you can also watch videos and listen to podcasts. Fortunately, there’s lots of materials in the net. Just use them.

You’ve just dropped some solid trading wisdom! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Continuous learning is a must in trading. It’s not just about the basics, it’s about diving into the market’s quirks and patterns.

1 Like

most important thing to avoid, is listening to everyone who thinks they can trade. Remember only 1% is profitable.

1 Like

These are the numbers you need, but are impossible to find, if you are not a professional

-You have 92% probability of loss 92% of the time
-The top 8% trading and investing in the markets breakeven
-The top 1% trading and investing in the markets make career profits
-It takes $850,000/yr (US) to be in the top 1%
-It takes $200,000/yr (US) to be in the top 8%

It’s all about timing, if you’re too early or too late you miss the window, the fintech consultants I know built a new MT5 algo (before moving it to their platform) which perfects timing, I’ve used it and we were happily generating 10% per trade for someone was training, but it’s a $50,000 algo which no one can afford unless they’re sponsored.

If you cannot pinpoint that 8% / 5% / 2% / 1% window in advance and wait for the markets to come to your window of opportunity, you will make losses, that is all there is to it and everything else people mention is a distraction, save for money management (which is actually position sizing).

1 Like

Oops, the baggage handler is back.

You just can’t ever make one single post without a self-aggrandising, promotional claim in it? Such a shame. I imagine your mother speaks very highly of you?

4 Likes

Happy days :grinning:

1 Like

definitely don’t jump into live trading without practicing on demo account and try to stat live trading at first with small trading capital.

Totally agree—no rush into live trading. I started by researching brokers, then went for demos with aaafx and tickmill to check their conditions and platforms. Kept it simple and decided to continue with them, given their reasonable minimum deposit requirements of $50 and $100, which align well with my limited trading budget.

1 Like

One key aspect to avoid in trading is overconfidence. Stay humble, maintain discipline and always prioritize risk management.

1 Like

New to forex? Don’t trade too much, only risk what you can afford. Stick to a plan and stay calm with market ups and downs for success :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! When you’re trading in forex, don’t use too much leverage, try not to let emotions take over, and don’t keep chasing losses. Be smart, manage risks, and yeah stick to your plan.

1 Like

So, this was like a year ago, but yeah, I definitely still consider myself a newbie. I’m still in the learning and practicing phase even though I’ve started trading now. I kicked off with School of Pipsology and then dived into some YouTube channels and stuff. And seriously, all the things you pointed out are totally the key ones, at least from the little experience I’ve got so far!

Thanks. Absolutely, you’re spot on with all of that!

349c7b14b9e2617070449909a4d93240

1 Like

Hey, great that you’re still around. You been trading much in the last year? Any of the YT channels help you figure things out?

Absolutely, I completely agree with this!

1 Like

The list of things that a trader needs to avoid doing is actually greater than the list of things to do :grinning:
Sounds funny but is quite true.
While a trader needs to do just a few things to succeed in the market, like follow the news, do analyses, have a strategy, and have strict risk management, the stop list in each of the aspects mentioned is long.
Let me name just a few of them… don’t trade upfront the news, or if a piece of important news is coming, don’t do analyses on short timeframes, don’t overtrade, don’t trade when you feel very happy or very sad, don’t risk more than you can afford to lose etc.

Some of the biggest mistakes that new forex traders tend to make according to me, also many will agree on these:-

Overtrading and failing to have a well-defined risk management strategy.
Lacking patience and discipline, resulting in impulsive trading decisions based on emotions.
Not having a solid trading plan and strategy, leading to inconsistent and erratic trading.
Inadequate education and understanding of the forex market dynamics and trading principles.