What could cause being stopped out?

I was in a trade this afternoon on EURUSD, i was in profit only to realize the trade never hit my TP but stopped out somewhere in between. This has never happened to me nor have i seen any trader mentioned something of this sort; if it’s from my broker am starting to worry of future trades. I already mailed them and waiting for reply.
Have this ever occurred with you and what caused it?

Check attachment.

do you use trailing stop?

No. I never used trailing stop, not even a breakeven

The usual cause of a stop-loss being hit when price doesn’t seem to be anywhere near is hat the broker widened their spread between bid and ask prices during a period of price volatility. This is not always visible on charts as these use either the bid or ask price only - mostly they are drawn using the bid price only.

Also if you watch the chart and the quoted bid price at the same time during ties of volatility you will see that the quoted bid price moves much more than the chart.

1 Like

I think this must be the case while I await my broker’s reply tho. The trade was closed some minutes after the release of US unemployment claims

Then it does sound highly likely. Its not unusual for a spread to go from 1 pip to 10 or more around a news event as brokers struggle to maintain their risk cover.

2 Likes

I believe the reason for this occurrence could be due to a change in spreads. As you may be aware, brokers often adjust their spreads in response to news or other factors. It would be greatly appreciated if you could share the actual reason for this incident with us after verifying it with your broker!!

What happens behind the scenes is more complex and less “Benevolent” than we are led to believe - and yes we HAVE looked at this sort of stuff before !

"What's with the long tails?

PS do you really mean it hit your “TP” - I suggest it shoulod read "It hit my SL " Since the SL is subject to “The Grasping Hand” whereas the TP is subject to “The Sulky Child” ! :slightly_smiling_face:

I am on your side. The large price difference between your T/P order and closure needs explanation by your broker, and if you are not satisfied, take it further up the line.

BTW what broker do you use?

So please do explain why anyone would complain about their “take Profit” being realised before “price” got to that level ? - How exactly is that something to whinge about ?

Because that was the order delivered to the broker. Whether it would have reached the T/P or get stopped out earlier, that is not the issue.

Just for the sake of completeness - are you seriously trying to use what you just wrote here as a reasonable explanation ?

And by way of clarification - does ANYONE else actually understand any logic in this “explanation” ?

I have experienced regulated brokers making similar errors, e.g. TD365, that when questioned on early trade closures, have accepted their errors and rectified clients accounts. .

So yes, this an accurate statement. I hope it doesn’t happen to you.

Man - IF they paid out on a take profit order - without price ever getting to that level - what the hell is for them to rectify ?