What did I miss?

I was away from the forum all day yesterday (Friday, August 2). When I logged in early Saturday morning (New York time), I found that 2 threads I’ve been following were shut down (closed) sometime Friday evening, by the forum moderators.

• Why we need more female academics - What is happening in our Universities

• F___ Boris March

I thought “Wow, what’s happened in these two threads, since I last visited? — What did I miss?”

So, I picked up where I had left off in my reading, and I read to the end of each thread, looking for the reason for the moderator’s crack-down. And I found nothing objectionable. Just a gap of several hours between the last surviving post (in each thread) and its closure by the moderator.

So, my question is this: Did something totally egregious transpire in those several hours in, not one, but two separate threads – prompting the moderator to drop the hammer?

Did somebody get hims wittle feelings hurted?

Those two threads are exactly where they belong — in the Lobby section of the forum. Both have been raucous at times, and one of them has been hijacked time and time again by a couple of folks who would rather talk about themselves and their own interests, rather than the topic at hand. But, it’s the Lobby section, for godsake! Strict forum rules regarding “staying on topic” are not supposed to be so strict in the Lobby section.

So, I return to my question. What happened Friday afternoon/evening to bring this on?

What has been scrubbed from the two threads in question?

Is there an effort here on the part of the Babypips administration to silence Falstaff, or is it just a curious coincidence that Falstaff happened to be the OP in both threads?

And don’t talk to me about occasional bad language. While Falstaff’s two threads got the ax, this one survives unscathed, despite clearly obscene language, and despite at least one flag.

So, let’s hear it, Moderator. — What’s going on?

3 Likes

Very surprised myself.

Did not have a great week and also has something to take of so as a result I myself have been absent for about three days. And then I see your post and sure enough: threads closed.

Having posted, and spent much time, on the Boris thread I know for sure nothing got out of hand. Matter of fact I think it was a good thread. Aside from it being entertaining on occasion I actually learned a lot from it. Cannot really comment on the woman one because I didn’t quite get where the thread was coming from or going. But never saw anything on it to warrant its being closed.

I have a gut feel that it wasn’t the Administrators. Unless as you say: something bad happened in the very last posts but which were deleted before the threads were closed.

But let me say this: no matter what the case more attention should be being given to the number of fake accounts and spam posts around. And I am not even talking about those that come along with the express purposes of trying to sell something (even those I am willing to put up with nowadays). It sure looks like to me that something or somebody is tasked with creating traffic and/or propping the forums up. And I do not think it is fair. I know of two long standing members that in just the last three months have decided to no longer post because of this. And I can tell you that I myself feel I’ve made enough of a fool of myself by responding to these fake members and posts in the hopes that I’m spending time trying to help or have a discussion with a real person. So it’s only a matter of time. And oddly enough I was warned about this when I came back here in May. Point is: I’d rather have threads and posts such as those on the two threads in question here no matter how colorful they may be. At least I know those are real people and not people having a good laugh at my expense behind my back.

2 Likes

Further to my post above I have it on good authority that is was not any one of the individual parties involved that requested closure of the threads. There were, however, evidently some later posts that went off of the rails and were indeed deleted by the Admins. It is unclear, however, whether others complained about these posts or if the Admins. just took it upon themselves to close the threads after deleting the posts.

Whatever the case: I vote that the threads be re-opened (especially given that apparent offending posts have already been removed).

Gentlemen, thank you most sincerely for your concern.
I think I should offer what little clarification I am able regarding those threads.
Firstly I awoke today to find them locked and some posts deleted. I have not been notified as yet, but past performance indicates that I probably shall be in due course.
Secondly, I have never been treated with anything other than courtesy and respect by any of the moderators or Admin working on behalf of Babypips. I certainly get no feeling that “They” are trying to silence me and I sincerely thank all concerned for that.
There definitely ARE posters on Babypips (although they are few in number) who would dearly wish to see me silenced and occasionally my observations are attacked in what I consider to be unfair and unreasonable ways, which sometimes descend into personal attacks against me and accusations which are clearly untrue and provocative.
Those two threads suffered from that type of action yesterday and I responded in due form.
I have not asked for intervention, however the posts themselves would (I suggest) lead to conscientious moderators feeling the need to take some form of action.
I do hope that both of those threads are eventually reopened as not to do so would (again I suggest ) lead in practical terms to a victory for those whose main aim is to disrupt and silence thoughtful debate, the brunt of which they may vehemently disagree with. And who may also feel that the members of this forum are too inferior (to themselves of course) in intelligence to be able to discern facts from fiction and who therefore need “Protecting from the truth” and / or protection from “exposure to critical thinking” and the dangers of objective truth.
My own view is that if I may have an experience of life which I feel may be useful to the members in viewing some world events from a less restricted perspective than seems to be currently presented as “Facts” by those whose agendas is “Silencing any opposition” and spreading Propaganda as “Fact”, then I am under an obligation to put a more contrary view!
That after all is what I was taught that “debate” is all about ! Inconvenient though that may be to those with the weaker argument.

You didnt miss much.

Everything which got deleted was utmost unimportant.

After i posted post brexit polls a member (who took those polls too personal) decided to start persoanl attacks instead of giving any other polls or facts or anything.

It degenerated into the standard tactics of one member making quotes and saying “to lock in the post” and slandering. Topped with the standard statement of “i might answer that question or i might not” when certain member doesnt know what else to say anymore.

Posts which state that members racist way of thinking did not get answered by that member but infuriated him even more in rambling nonsens in that thread.

I wonder why things get deleted as the tone was in no time of that “debate” in any way out of hand. As well those posts stood there for (i think) 2 or more days.

Nevertheless imo it is ok those posts get deleted as they reflected too much on the character of a certain member which would have caused a great deal of damage to his credabily and make it hard for him to post anything without beeing flagged (flagged falsly or not plays no role) as xenophobe, liar and slanderer.

About the other thread. I dont know why it got closed or posts deleted. I wasnt particularly active in that thread.

1 Like

That’s a new one (I think - certainly don’t remember it before)

Once again - just provocative ramblings bearing no real resemblance to any “objective truth”

The post speaks for itself of course.

I was going to say he is “ignorant” - however it would seem from his use of verbiage, that he has probably been to a University (of sorts)

You write so much but say so little.

Thats some form of art too i guess.

Xenophobe=racist

I said it half a dozen time directly to you. You either dont know what xenophobe means or you forget things quick.

Ok. Rereading your post i see that you dont know what xenophobe means.

And btw. Absolutely no provocative rambling as i didnt even state your name or in any way let it through that it might be you im talking about.

People asked what happened. You as usually failed to answer even that easy question. I answered what happened, you dont like it.

I think you are going in this all with too much emotions involved.

Simply not true (why am I surprised ? :roll_eyes:slight_smile:

Seems i was wrong about you having been to University then !

I have a Masters of Science degree in economics. What role does that play here if i might ask? do you want to blame me now in not beeing a proletarian as you are?

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the delay in notifying you about the temporary closure of two of @Falstaff Falstaff’s threads.

We do not want to silence Falstaff, but rather just give breathing room for these threads. This temporary closure was meant to encourage the participants to take a step back and address the point, not the person. We noticed that the discussions were unfortunately getting derailed into personal attacks so we also did a thread clean-up to help get the discussions back on track.

As of writing, the said threads have been reopened and we look forward to productive discussions without these personal attacks.

Thanks.

5 Likes

Honestly both threads aren’t going anywhere. Just a waste of time. Certainly not adding anything to anyones life. If you delete them permanently, I dont think we’re going to miss out.

2 Likes

agree with you Mate completely.