What do you think of the "Ok boomer" meme?

OKAY Haha. First of all, I just wanna say that I hope there wouldn’t be any fights on this thread. :frowning: :open_mouth: I know that there are a lot of baby boomers on the forums, and I just wanna know what you guys think about this meme that has been circulating in the past few days. :open_mouth:

Does the statement “Ok boomer” offend you? :open_mouth: What are your thoughts about it? :thinking:

2 Likes

Tbh, I don’t really know how this meme started (or if it has indeed been brewing in the background), but I mean, I wouldn’t use “hate.” I think there are just a lot of differences between the circumstances for baby boomers and for millennials.

Ooooh. :open_mouth: Now I’m nervous. I kinda wanna delete the whole thread. :open_mouth: I hope I don’t offend anyone with this topic. :confused:

I’ve never heard this expression. But then again, I’ve never talked to a Millennial.

2 Likes

I generally find using such memes to be a sign of intellectual laziness - if you have to hide behind a two-word meme as a response to someone’s arguments it means you’ve got nothing to say.

2 Likes

Oooh. :open_mouth: I’m a millennial! :smiley: Haha. (Actually, still not sure if I’m from Gen Z) I just don’t really use this expression and just heard of it when it really went viral on my social media accounts. :open_mouth:

Hmmm. :thinking: That makes sense. :open_mouth: Some people argue that this “Okay boomer” expression went viral because millennials have become exhausted with trying to explain stuff to baby boomers. :open_mouth: But personally, I think it’s always best to try to express your opinions about an issue, and maybe just agree to disagree? :confused:

Have you guys ever got into an argument that you feel is mostly based on difference in generation and the age gap? :open_mouth:

I think that response is applicable when when the person one is responding to is so painfully unintelligent and obnoxious that it’s pointless to try and explain things to them. But then again, those two characteristics are not tied to one’s age.

1 Like

:+1:

This OK Boomer meme, like all memes will get old soon. Pun not intended :joy: Although I haven’t really spoken to a boomer to know what they would say to these things. Have you guys?

To which things? The meme? From what I’ve heard, rather than seen (I try to avoid most social media unless I am talking to people I share mutual interests with) they are quite offended.

Good point! :open_mouth: When talking to someone like that, it sometimes best to just let them be and leave the conversation before it gets the best of you. :frowning:

Definitely! Haha. :smiley: I hope we find a more positive way to communicate among the generations. :sweat_smile: I think a lot of seasoned members here are baby boomers? :open_mouth: But I haven’t met anyone here that would make me use this meme. :smiley:

Yeah. :open_mouth: I saw some articles about that too. :frowning:

I am not seeing anything wrong with that, only one thing for which you may really hate all those bummers is for something is the way they really do “allow” that millenial generation in a way it really created for example. How else it will really be going here for whatever reason ?

Please don’t delete. Everyone has the right to speak out.

Thank you! :blush: I won’t delete it. :smiley: People seem to have been very civil on this thread so I think everything’s good. :blush:

1 Like

Hard to paint an entire generation with the same brush buuuut some parts of that generalization is true for a lot of them. :sweat_smile: I feel like boomers won’t even know what this meme is lol. So it doesn’t even matter :joy:

2 Likes

This “OK Boomer fight” more often isnt actually about millenials and boomers. It’s Gen Z people fighting Gen X people online. Hahaha…

Millenials are already at or approaching their 30s. The ones you see online arguing with boomers are those in their early 20s (Not Millenials)
On the other end, boomers are already senior citizens. The ones you see online arguing with millenials are on their late 40s or early 50s (Not Boomers)

It’s a weird social experience. Don’t forget to bring popcorn. :smiley:

1 Like

Ain’t this the truth! :joy:

Very interesting take though that it’s actually Gen Z vs. Gen X! And I thought Gen X could wash their hands of this issue lmao