What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

great story Simon, thanks for sharing. I for one, enjoy reading your posts, you always provide valuable insight and information to those of us who are new to Forex

I didn’t realize the significance of the GDP downgrade from 1.3% to 1%. They said on the news today that 1% or lower is a ‘recession predictor’.

Quite right that ICt_Macro_pivot is very very wrong on the Weekly by 650 pips and approx 50 pips off on the Monthly.

Wally

yes it is nice to hear your story as to using some one that is the route i am getting ready to go as having some one who can help disect your emnotions that I think are hard to do over emails and such is a priceless commodity. The thing that I have learned most from here is all the different styles there are and not to totaly accept my instructions nor instructor and the “gospel”

I’m sick of trying to work trading around my stupid full-time job. I can’t compete. I miss entries, I can’t manage my trades and I don’t get enough sleep. Maybe you guys can do it, maybe you got that drive in you to compete against FT professionals, but I don’t. Not anymore.

I quit, I’m done, I’m leaving. Bye

Good Luck to you all :41:

My Tombstone:

Net loss to FOREX: $16,244.80

Seriously? Don’t quit. You are a great contributor around here, and end of day trading alone can net a nice income and work around a day job.

ST

Thank you for the feedback. I would certainly agree that there are many different approaches to Forex trading, and most of them can make money. One of the appeals of Forex trading is that it can be a very individual achievement when it clicks. The main thing is, listen to a range of opinions, then do what you think. At the end of the day, it is your money on the line, after all.

ST

Thank you very much for the positive feedback - genuinely very much appreciated!

ST

Don’t give up. Your posts in this thread are great. Try to find 1-3 trades per week and catch the main weekly movement and you dont have to watch charts every minute or hour. Or take a break for a while or trade demo until you are able to double demo account in some period.

It is so easy to give up something

I personally do not watch any timeframe smaller than H1 usually only 2x-3x a day and still was able to make around 500 pips on 4 pairs just this single week. You dont have to really spend you life stucked to your computer and 5 min. charts.
Sometimes I dont understand why people trade real money when they are not able at least double demo account or some cent account.

but everybody can blame FXpros, brokers, job, etc.

yeah AK, I totally agree with Manta. You have been a very valuable contributor to this thread and I believe you have the knowlege and skills to make this happen for you. I think Manta has a great suggestion trading the higher time frames. I was actually thinking about this earlier today for myself.

Personally, I have a day job as well, so I gave up trading the LO long ago as I was just too tired everyday. I;m directly south of you in CO, so I wake up in time to catch NYO if it looks good. If not I trade LC. With your post a few pages back, separating out the different sessions, I may start looking at the Asian session. Your post helped clarify what was right in front of me. Like ICT said a while ago, all it takes is 20 pips a day, and once we learn more about the Asian session, that will be another trade for those of us with day jobs.

I know you are down quite a bit overall since you started trading, but how are you doing since learning ICT’s methods? I think that is the real measure, and we are just getting all of ICT’s tools, so it should only get better from here.

Hi ST,
Thank you for sharing. It is encouraging for newbies like myself to see that successful trading is possible and only with couple of years hard work. When you say hard work and serious screen time dose that mean following one pair and becoming familiar with its moves and then moving to next pair?
Also if you can please give some details of your screen time you mentioned that would be nice. Do you mean back testing? Looking at charts all day? Trying to find patterns and SR levels?

Thanks and good luck with your trading :slight_smile:

Hey ST
Thanks for posting your experience here for us to read.
It’s encouraging & helps keep me with reality as to what’s possible & what it takes to make it happen.
Indeed you were very fortunate with your financial position, I’d like to be able to take your path but at the same time “there is more then one way to skin a cat” as we say.

akeakamai
Sorry to hear it’s getting to you so badly,
I understand what you mean by full time work weighing you down, I have a similar problem, 70hr weeks don’t help technical analysis skills
 right now I have time away from the job & it’s heaven! But soon it will be another eight months of endless mind numbing hour upon hour of work! Just one more year though & I’m determined to cut loose.

Sounds like you need to sit back, take stock & make a less emotional judgment call after the initial pain has subsided.
Your posts have all been quality, would somehow seem wrong to just throw in the towel just like that!

All the best whichever way you go mate! :57:

What a final this week! Finally it is unfolding the big foodprint. THe whole week the fiber wasn’t able to make lower lows while the cable made consistently lower lows
hughe accumulation took place in the fiber
so a move upwards someday was forseen. However I didn’t think it would happen last friday. The banks took advantage of driving the price one more time lower while Bernanke was speeching and when it reached the weeks low again on the fiber
Boom! Next week we might even see prices reaching for higher.
(this ofcourse is how I see things happening :22:)
Have a nice weekend!
TP

I’m sorry for you AK but I know how you feel, I seem to fall off the rails and lose consistency all the time and I wont live trade again till I get back on track.
But it looks like the Asian session would suit you better and there are some very consistent set ups there in the fiber for 30 - 50+ pips at least 3 days a week, just have a look at ICT’s Asian vid when it comes out and see if you can work with it.
It would be a great loss to us all with your knowledge gone from the mix.

Either way mate, all the best.
Wally

My first OTE, and it worked out well this time, hopefully next time too.

Wow! ST that was a great contribution, thanks so much for your time. I had always assumed that you were a lot older than you actually are
probably because you are always focused and seem immune to the ups and downs of learning the ICT methods (which is a result of having confidence in your own system and only looking to improve on that). I found your story even more interesting because I will also be 35 when I take a stab at FT trading next year, and will be coming at it with the discipline I have learnt from running a business these last ten years. The only thing I am lacking is a blue chip wife! Hopefully I won’t need one of those because I have been on a steady upward curve for a few months now and I seem to have stopped hemorrhaging the money that I once was. I am still not consistently profitable, but I am confident that that will change in the next 6 months to a year.

Best regards, and thanks again.

Hey AK, I was REALLY surprised to see this post. I thought you were on top of things with the analysis and insights that you have been posting, but looking back I guess there were signs of frustration creeping in (
when you said you were done with LO, for example).

I really do hope that you reconsider your decision because I think you are close to cracking the code, but you have just had a bad run of it lately. August has been a difficult month to trade with all of the ups and downs, and it is no wonder you feel beaten up. Just think back a few months
were you not seeing easier trades before the summer? Alternatively you could focus on longer term trades using the COT data if you feel your body and mind needs a rest from the daily beatings. I only really realized how exhausted I was once I took a long vacation from it at the end of July, and I urge you to at least take a month away from the charts even if you do decide to come back.

Well, I honestly hope that this is not the last we hear from you.

Best regards
Ali

Yep well said Ali. Take some time out AK, you’ve got way to much knowledge to let it go to waste Also I always appreciate the fact that you are often the one to ask the questions some of us want to ask but fear offending :56:

You’ve given me advice in chat and generally in the thread so thank you for that if you bail. Remember the long term picture mate, trading for a living as your day job. Don’t give up the dream. Of course if you do call it quits I wish you the best.

That makes alot of sense, traderpilot. I didn’t think of that at all. It’s really nice to see other people’s take on things.

@akeakamai, I know I don’t know you, but I can relate to what you’re saying. Life is short, and we all have to make hard decisions sometimes. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Can anyone explain to me why Commercial hedgers trade against the trend? i.e. : Bullish at market bottoms and Bearish at market tops. Thanks in advance, Oh and props to ICT for this awesome thread, as far as i can tell this is gonna be the catalyst that i need to jump start my trading career :D.