What Every New & Or Aspiring Forex Trader... Still Wants To Know

Weekly routine again:

5 trades, 2 wins, 3 losses, -2.5%, -97 pips, so again losing week :slight_smile:

But itā€™s the end of April and time to recap results for the first whole month of trading ICT techniques:

[B]33 trades, 21 wins, 12 losses, account is up +19.5% for April (+25.3% in total for 6 weeks of trading these methods).[/B]

Iā€™m very optimistic. Most of the losses were my mistakes and misunderstandings. Sometimes it is confusing to combine all the tools together, but definitely profitable and I see great potential here.

Thanks again Michael, looking forward to your new videos and lessons.

Weekly Recap:

3 trades, 2 winners, 1 loser, Added 2R to the account.
2R is my weekly goal (or 2% to the account since I risk 1% per trade) so if I hit that I stop all trading for the week as Iā€™m attempting to cut down on overtrading and wait for only the best set ups.

Trading for April is 8 Trades, 5 winners, 3 losers, 7.44R / 7.44% gained on the account and that is only risking 1% per trade. Still struggling with consistency and wanting to be in the market all the time but limiting myself to 2R is helping out with that a lot.

If I can achieve the same results consistently over the next month ill look to increase my risk to 1.5% per trade.

Iā€™m really starting to realize the value of compounding small gains consistently over a period of time.

A simple 2% gain each week on an account can double that account in just under 40 trading weeks. There are many opportunities a week to catch 1 trade netting 2R or 2 trades netting 1R each.

Looking forward to the new material as well.

Thanks FX280 got a chart overlay sorted from your suggestions and its spot on! tried every overlay indi for metatrader with no joy.
Anyway got a smart money tool up and running now so many thanks!!!

Jeff

Hi all,

Finally Iā€™m making the transition from my former platform to MT4, but Iā€™m having trouble with the ICT Pivot Macro indicator.
No matter how I set the time zone, my pivots are wrong, even the weekly pivots, and by many pips, not just the usual few pips that come out of different broker data feed or bid/ask prices.

Is someone having the same problem as me? Or could you guys suggest me some ways to fix this? Iā€™m not very proficient at Mt4 and I know thereā€™s something there that Iā€™m missing.

Also I was wondering if you guys have an indicator for PDH/L and PWH/L.

Thank you!

What broker are you using?

For IBFX you want the shifthrs set to 0 and -5, that gives you both GMT and EST pivots. Their MT4 is set to GMT time, I think Alpari is +1.

Iā€™m using Gft, which is in GMT time, but even with modified shifthrs settings I seem to have the wrong pivots :31:

My broker is in GMT time as well, so the GMT pivots are set at 0, and the NY (EST) pivots are set to -4. Itā€™s set at -4, because I focus more on the location versus time zone.

Regards,
Clark.

Just for comparison, could somebody check their pivots against mine please?
My manually calculated EST pivots for cable are:

Weekly      Daily 

R2 1.6943 1.6787
MR2 1.6884 1.6754
R1 1.6824 1.6720
MR1 1.6726 1.6696
PP 1.6627 1.6672
MS1 1.6568 1.6639
S1 1.6508 1.6605
MS2 1.6410 1.6581
S2 1.6311 1.6557

Daily EST. I hope these are right as my broker is GMT +2, Iā€™m BST (GMT +1) So I calculate EST as, broker time -6.

R2 6781
R1 6743
CPP 6682
S1 6644
S2 6584

Mmmm theyā€™re not even close. Anyway Iā€™ll try to figure this out.

Thank you Jaroon

Problem solved!

Ok just in case someone is having the same trouble as me with the pivot indicator, I found a very neat one that works really good. Just google FMM_Pivots. It displays mid pivots and PDH/L as well.

Sorry to disrupt the thread.

Hey folks, what is the official line on trading bank holidays? Fiber came off the 1.4900 dR2 (in line with yesterdayā€™s dmR2) with previous resistance and SMT divergence during the LC. It has been a clean drop-off of 115 pips so far. There was no OTE so I sat on my hands, but all other technical criteria were respected.

There is never enough movement in the markets during bank holidays. The only movements seen today was when the news of Osama was released. But besides that, price seems to be very quiet. The Fiber and Cable didnā€™t form any OTE that I could trade, so I just spent the day working on my ā€œmasterā€ trading plan, risk/money management.

Iā€™ve created a new, cleaner, updated trading spreadsheet. I will upload it as soon as I am done. I think it will be very helpful for some traders, and it could even updated, since I am not great with Excel. =D

Regards,
Clark.

Itā€™s better to stay away from the charts on bank holidays.

More often than not, under days of low liquidity like these, instruments tend not to respect any important levels and they rarely offer a juicy range to profit from.

Of course that was not todayā€™s case, probably due to Osamaā€™s death, but for the most part, holidays are not worth the risk IMO.

All the best.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I donā€™t think I will even turn my computer on in future.

thnx for the vidā€™s, having trouble watchin from here tho

Date: May 2, 2011
Time (GMT): 5:52:00am
Live

[B]Pre-Trade:[/B]
Currency Pair: GBP/USD

Market Bias (Long Term): Bearish sentiment
Market Flow (Daily, 4H, 1H): Daily is bullish, 4H and 1H is bearish.
Position Taken (Long/Short): Short
Trade Style (Swing, Scalp, etc): Swing

Risked Percentage (%): 0.5%
Lot Size: 0.04
Stop Loss (in pips): 30
Take Profit (in pips): 70

Entry Price: 1.6644

Notes & Comments:
Bearish sentiment overall, so taking a short trade would be the most probably. Currently it is a pending order, and 30 pips from entry price. Entering on the 79% retracement level and a prior support level, now resistance. Aiming for a previous resistance level. Have a feeling price may not reach entry since it is quite a ways up.

Entry Screenshot:

[B]Post Trade:[/B]
Exit Date: May 3, 2011
Exit Time: 7:40 am GMT
Exit Price: 1.6574

Net Pips (in pips): 70
Net Income (% growth): 1.37%

Notes & Comments:
Trade went very well. First trade I have taken where I have out 100% of my concentration into analysis with no distractions. Trade went nearly perfect. Price had dropped more significantly than expect. One reason could be the release of the UK Manufacturing PMI which released lower figures than forecasted.

Closing Screenshot:

On a side note, now that I have more time, I am starting to take trading more seriously and hope to progress onto the next ā€œlevelā€ if you will.

I am taking a more long-term approach to things now, staying in this game will mean I need to start actually caring about my pre-trade routine, such as news, fundamentals, etc.

I will also be trying to control my emotions and risk appetite slowly. And hereā€™s how I plan on achieving that:
Before I risked 2% on each trade, now I have decreased my risk to a mere 0.5%. If and only if, I can stay in the green, and make a profit for 2 straight weeks, will I increase the risk by an increment of 0.5% (0.5%, 1.0%, 1.5%, 2.0%). Iā€™d like to trade comfortably and not worry about my risk. I feel if I slowly increase my risk I am able to think more clearly, and not be hesitant of entries. Emotionally, I feel it has helped me a lot! =)

As well, I am only looking to make 1-3 trades a week. If I reach a 6% drawdown on my balance in a week, I will stop trading for the remaining week, and just work on finding the reasons as to my mistakes.

I have also created multiply spreadsheets, journals, etc to record my trades so I have a good record keeping system which I can look back at my trades. Basically, I am trying to organize myself, mentality as well, to improve and see more progress in trading. =) I feel quite confident about it, and see trading as a whole new picture, and I feel that my goals as a full time trader may actually be achievable. =)

Regards,
Clark.

Hi ICT!

I must say that i have gained invaluable insights by watching your videos and lessons! You have helped me shorten my learning curve greatly.

I noticed that you use a Daily Pivot Macro to measure pivot points on your charts on MT4.
I just started using MT4, and realized that it is a ā€œcustom indicatorā€ and it does not come preinstalled with the MT4.

Could someone pass me the indicator ICT is using? Thanks in advance!
Also, will using different pivot point indicator matter?

I am a little late to this myself, but for what it is worth I never trade Bank Holidays, trades just donā€™t play out consistently enough for me as the volume is too low. So I had a nice long weekend off this weekend just gone as we had the Royal Wedding. I like high probability trades, which for me means treat the Bank Holiday as if it were a weekend.

London Close Scalp

GBP/USD
Average Daily Range hit and surpassed
Price unable to remain below the 1.6480 level
Nice 35 pip bounce off of that level.

OTE Present
Long at 1.6476
TP at 1.6510 - The 1.27 Extension

Price blew through all the trailing stops quickly and went all the way back to the 1.6550 level before fading back down again.