What Every New or Aspiring FX Trader Wants To Know

I wouldnt expect that no… the flows will seek to fill the four pivots based on direction or news impact. Once filled… leave the show, it’s basically ran its battery out, in otherwords. Flows will dry up and liquidity will thin… take the rest of the day off or manage any open positions, but refrain from new trades after London closes.

Welcome!!

ICT, When you say you set your orders do you mean a sell limit and a buy limit around a major support / resistane level? If so i assume you use some sort of protective stop just incase as you wont be able to monitor the trade if one of them gets filled? If i’m way off the mark with this just say! I’m a noob to Forex and still finding my feet. Anyway thanks again for the great info, keep it coming!:smiley:

I’m bumping this up again cause it really got pushed back and I think you missed it…maybe a quiet enough time now to ask again. Hopefully you understand my confusion :wink:

I finally caught up with all the posts in this thread. And I wanted to thank everyone for their posts, info, suggestions, tips and more.

When I was first introduced to pivots, it just wasn’t explained in a way that a newbie such as myself could understand it, trade it, and see it’s potential. This thread has done just that.

I’ve added pivots to my charts, and so many of those seemingly sudden reversals, many of them, are right at the pivot points!

Great thread.

Synergy

Well I’m thrilled that you intend to make an extended stay at our humble trading forum :smiley:

I don’t expect to be spoon-fed information, I truly appreciate every post you take the time to write. Sometimes I think you’re too nice to us haha, it’s not like we’re paying you.

I’d be glad to sit back and let you present what you’ve got planned, I might have gotten hasty with the questions only because I thought you could disappear at any moment! :eek:

Hi ICT.

I am another noob who has become a massive fan of this thread, so I’d like to add my appreciation. :slight_smile:

I have a couple of questions for everyone.

First off, how important is it to determine the directional bias of the day beforehand??

Even in obviously trending markets, there are odd “opposite days” thrown in. Not necessarily pull back or re-tracements than can be identified, but just random days that are out of trend.

This becomes more pronounced in periods of consolidation where the market is chopping around. The market is up and down almost day by day.

I’m not sure if it is even necessary to determine a daily bias to practice you method, but if it is, how do you go about it?

Cheers! :slight_smile:

What specifically are you confused about?

When markets make a high you will typically see a second attempt to trade above it after the initial retracement lower. This retest of the high is where the LOW risk entry is found. True the shorts that rode the initial high down during it’s retracement may have made profits or maybe they were greedy and and held for lower prices not thinking price might retest the high they shorted. They will likely have their protective Buy stops at or just above the High they just shorted… this is sometimes the early bird in trades. However, since this trader is already in the market their Stops are now known and therefore likely to be raided and see their short be knocked out of the market.

The patient trader that looks for this condition can place a limit order to sell right at or just above this recent high and when it gets penetrated by a few pips it will provide the smart money an opportunity to sell right in the area the initial bears went short… effectively they are buying your short position entries with their protective buy stops… which is in some way quite cool to me. :cool:

So the early birds might be able to say they sold the high and got the worm… it can become the bear trap they set for themselves by placing the Buy stops on their shorts that presents the pocket Market Makers pair orders at to provide liquidity. Much like setting a mouse trap… the first mouse gets the snap on the neck but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese… the trap has sprung on the first bears… we come in right after and short right into the high and nail down the actual High.

When we look at examples this will become more clear as we deal with examples. For now, just look at last night’s highs and what unfolded. Precisely, what I just explained above.

When you trade into opposing direction to your trade, you will be able to cover the spread quicker and thus provide you a faster means of bring your stops you place to limit losses to breakeven and this is where you want your trades to go as soon as possible… then it gives you freedom to relax and allow the numbers to get filled on the pivots since your trade now has become essentially risk-free.

Your entry today was an example of this as well, whether you understood that at the time or not… you traded or attempted to buy under the 1.502ish area… look on your chart and it is where stops on longs from last Friday might have been “hiding”. Price went right to them and this provided more liquidity in the market.

This is not an easy concept to teach or explain in a post… it will be understood by chart reading daily. Just for now, try to look at your charts with both bears in mind and bulls in mind. If you were short and the market had traded lower… where would your buy stops be in the market? Wait and see price move right to the level in the near future and raid the stops. Reverse for longs.

This event is where you want to identify for optimal trade entry. Entering in opposing candles as you do. Hope this helps. If not, give it and me time to illustrate examples.

Refer your charts back to last Friday and study the chart below…

You do not need to know the directional to make money… but it does increase the wins when you do.

I guess I was confused with the sentence where you said “is retesting on your entry” …entry as in order?..and then in the same sentence "and you want to buy the Cable " …so “retesting on your entry” at first sounded like we already made a short entry…and then saying “want to buy the Cable” contradicted that. Now I’m thinking perhaps “retesting your entry” just refers to, for lack of a better reference to it, the “entry zone”. :o…Sometimes I overthink things, or think a particular word means one thing…lol. I’ve used “entry” to refer to where you pull the trigger. Had to have a bit of a paradigm shift there…lol

So we don’t enter when it first enters that entry zone, and if it doesn’t retest that entry zone, then we don’t enter a trade…or at least not in [B]that[/B] entry zone…? So then I shouldn’t have entered my long on that first bounce and instead waited for a retest, which is seen better on the 5 and/or 15m timeframes?

I know you’ll make this more clear in due time…no problem :slight_smile:

Here’s tonight’s levels for me.

I have weekly and daily pivots converging 20 pips above the daily low.

I haven’t checked any other technicals, but which area could have more weight for a long set up? The pivots convergence, or the daily low.

I’m guessing it depends on if price founds support in any particular area and makes the re test.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Thanks Sweet Pip for the image upload tip.

I think this pretty accurately describes 50% of my losses in the last few years. I pledge to no longer be the “dumb money” hahaha :smiley:

I’m curious here.

I recall you wrote in another post that you put a parent and contingent order before you go to sleep.

If this is the case I wonder how you manage to avoid the first entry and enter in the re-test. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking you’d wait for the first bounce, then set your pending orders for the retest. :slight_smile:

Also I’ve got a Weekly MS1 and a long term S&R sitting right on the low of yesterday, it’s gotta be like a brick wall to break though, gawd I hope it tries :slight_smile:
Wally

15min later
Lol. showed me. Went straight through it. Lesson learned.

:cool: ding ding ding… we have a winner! That is correct. If there is not setup… there is no order. I trade the setups I see not predict. It’s all patience driven.

Short covered at limit as posted… protective buy stop 1.5080 canceled upon limit fill.

Hope you caught this one folks… FOMC today… sidelines until 2:30pm est New York time.

This why & where my position was covered and why I chose to limit out of the short where I did. This 15 min. chart is only meant to further illustrate the areas I focus on to enter and exit swings for optimal trade execution.

Could you please tell us what a set up would be unless I missed something

here sweetpip describes the setup that got her in the trade

the setup is when you plan to enter the trade/pull the trigger, normally looking for atleast 3 of the above reasons as mentioned above to enter the trade