What is price action?

can someone tell me what is price action and how to use it

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/38327-what-price-action-really.html
http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/42378-forex-price-action.html
http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/44416-price-action-candlesticks-story-they-tell.html
http://forums.babypips.com/show-me-money-swing-trading/50672-forex-portfolio-how-gain-consistent-profits-staying-market-24-7-a.html
http://forums.babypips.com/show-me-money-swing-trading/39203-electrofx-pure-price-action-trading.html

Seek and you shall find. :wink:

nice :35: — one more! 301 Moved Permanently

Hello Shaunjohnuk,

In it’s simplest form - price action is price’s movement over time on any time frame, chart or instrument.

Trading Price Action is being able to read the price action in the chart, understand the order flow behind it, who’s in control, who is not, where they are getting in and out, and making your trades based on that.

Keep in mind, although in the beginning, it may seem like all you need to know is simple 1 and 2 bar patterns, like pin bars, inside bars, engulfing bars, etc., this really is not understanding price action and makes you simply reactive, not empowered or understanding what price action is as those patterns are the result - not the cause of the order flow.

I have a thread that teaches you how to understand price action starting with the basic models, and working your way up.

You can find the thread here Understanding Price Action.

I hope this helps give you some good information to start with.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

2 Likes

As others already posted links for you, just follow them. Sounds like you are in good need of a free forex course which you can find at many outlets free of charge.

thanks to you all will start reading up straight away

also known as naked trading, it means no indicators

Yes, no indicators and just looking at what buyers and sellers are doing which is translated into candlesticks. I believe it originated from a famous rice trader.

Price action describes the price movements of a particular stock/ security. The candlesticks and price bars are essential elements for studying the price action of stocks, as they help traders in predicting the price movements.
Price Actions play an important role in analyzing the past and predicting the future trends. Every individual studies the price movements differently. Price Action mainly means how prices change. Price action is a form of technical analysis and helps the trader or investor to judge the direction of the price movement.
In Price Action strategy, the main focus is on past stock movements and therefore, it ignores the fundamentals of the security. It looks primarily on the market movements. While relying on price action, traders mainly focus on 3 to 6 months prices to predict the future movements.

Price action analysis is the use of the natural or “raw” price movement of a market to analyze and trade it. This means, you are making all of your trading decisions based purely on the price bars on a “naked” or indicator-free price chart.

Nearly … :wink:

“Without indicators” isn’t the same thing as “based purely on the price bars”: with many price action methods, horizontal lines of support and resistance (not generally considered “indicators”), and even diagonal trendlines can be an integral and important part of the trade set-ups.

Price action - most precise ,non lagging indicator of what is going on with the underlying asset and the greedy market participants who try to make money buying or selling the underlying… Very useful for experienced traders with well developed and seasoned skill of pattern recognition, closely related with subconscious trading ( gut / hunch trading).
Suitable for decision making for the beginners?- No.
#Trade Safely

Bro, a lot of good general comments but a few basics have been forgotten.

First things first, price action is [B]anything[/B] and [B]everything [/B]the price of a security does. It is the most [B]subjective [/B]and [B]discretionary [/B]style of analysis out there. So the only thing that matters is what it means to you!

Candles are lagging indicators too. Trading “naked” is just a marketing term. No-one wants to see me trading naked. There’s only one true chart and that’s the tape. A 2 tick chart lags 2 ticks. The hourly chart lags 1 hour. Candlestick analysis is not price action and again we can blame marketers.

And like the best things in life, it’s simple to learn and takes a lifetime to master. Pick a pair, watch it, trade it. Lose and learn. Win and celebrate. You’ll quickly figure out that’s its about where the price is now, where was the price then. And the assumption that the past is indicative of the future.

What to learn, how to apply it well that’s going to be up to you. As stated earlier its a subjective and discretionary trading style. The good news is you don’t have to pay a cent to learn it. Success comes from the work you do away from the trading screen not on it.

And a freebie gift from me. Time is the most under-utilized indicator out there. Time of day, Time of week, Time of Month. Relate price to time and it’s all systems go!

I hope this does not sound like a dumb question but I don’t quite understand the “who’s in control, who’s not” part. I thought that the forex market was too liquid to be cornered. But I am guessing that is not your meaning. I am thinking I missed a connection somewhere. Can you help? Thanks!

It’s a kind of self-defining figure of speech: when the price is in an uptrend the bulls are said to be “in control” at that point, and the bears when it’s in a downtrend.

Ok Lexys I get it thank you very much!