What is your strategy to trade during News

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration - there are traders who do trade news and manage to make a profit. It is difficult and it is not for everyone, but those people do exist, I think.

The way I see it, the news events are captured in the price action anyways. So why trade on news only?

lol they do. My mentor trades during high impact news only and implements a system during those times. It does literally everything for him, all he needs to do is set the parameters and just sit back and watch his profits grow. It won’t take action if there isn’t a lot of volatility though.

Well news trading makes sense but not in the form of catching movement, but gathering information about pre-sentiments (what big players expect from these news) and then after release determine potential change in their positions.

Big news affect big traders decisions but it takes time for them to move in/out positions (because they are really big like 50M or 100M) that’s why you can expect protracted move according to their changes. you have to be very good in economic analysis, because sometimes a headline reading mean nothing, traders can pay attention to some particular details, signs of structural changes, or change in wordings (in case of talking heads event).

The main point is that you know that right AFTER news traders can change their positionining, while in other times, on retail platform, you don’t have information other than price.

1 Like

I wish I had both the courage and the knowledge to do that, but I possess neither, so I stick to non-news trading.

You can always gain the knowledge overtime. We learn something new everyday. That will never change. So, sure its cool to stick with what you know and the regular way of doing things. But, you can also discover ways of making certain tasks easier for you, You never know, a year from now you might figure out a way to trade during the news and might even become successful at it.

I like your positive attitude. That is something many traders, myself included sometimes, very much need.
One should, indeed, learn something new every day.

Yea man we have to stay positive always in all situations. I’ve read through so many posts and discussions on here, and they’re just full of negative people w/ negative responses to others just trying to learn. It’s sad because sometimes it steers newbies away from Forex, but you can’t take your personal experiences with Forex and tell people that it will be the same for them. That makes no sense to me & others need to realize that as well. Other people’s successes or failures doesn’t determine yours. Keep ya head up, keep studying, keep practicing, and there’s no reason why you won’t become a great trader.

2 Likes

Sometimes staying positive is hard, especially if there are problems outside of actual trading. I know that from personal experience. However, one should still keep trying - to stay positive, to learn, to practice, etc. The more you try, the easier it should become.

I’m not a fan of such adrenalin and risks, that’s why I don’t trade news. You never know where the price will go. And I always wanted to know what makes people trade news? Why do they choose this trading style?

I guess those who trade the news have had positive experience of doing so.

There are big pips to be made (or lost) trading fast and big movements :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, I was about to say that you can gain a ton of pips during the news, but it’s extremely risky.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned earlier that your mentor trades “news” - does (s)he enter a position before the news and adjust it after ? or does (s)he trade in response to the movement /news ?

My mentor actually trades the news by using a system he obtained overseas. All he does is enter the parameters into the system and it literally does everything for him. It’ll open/close numerous trades at a time, but will always end up in profit. It’s reallyyyy effective, but unfortunately its inaccessible to many.

He did tell me that if you do trade on your own during the news, then you should NEVER place an order right before. It’s good to always wait until you see some type of movement happening to determine whether you should place a buy or sell order

1 Like

Yes - as retail, I think that is very important. :sunglasses:

Nice post. Thank you. yes , by passing every day of course it is possible to increase trading performance. That’s why we have to be focused when trading with discipline. Otherwise the successful trading life will not come despite of passing a long time in here.

I actually do the later, why miss a good opportunity to make some pips :grin:

But I do avoid some economic events such as interest rate changes or the NFP from the US.

The good thing about trading unexpected economic events or news is the broker might not have prepared their risk exposure to that event and therefore, a low pip spread entry point can result in higher pip gains

I wonder how do brokers adjust their risk exposure ahead of big events. For example Hotforex operates using STP model (transferring models directly to LP) and charges markup for their services. Only LPs can adjust spreads depending on supply and demand brokers are simply intermediators

Just because they’re a broker doesn’t mean they don’t follow the forex market. brokers also have a risk management department just in case, also, brokers don’t want to freely give money to their customers but aim for profitable situations against you. Whether they’re a STP, MM But not a true ECN I’d think. Not all brokers are intermediaries, they do bet against you depending on what type of broker it is.

I guess they protect themselves only against volatilty and widen spreads during news. Simple as that