What I've learned so far (and continue to learn) before going live

I’ve done a lot of back testing… manually… And I’m pretty much in the same boat. However, adx seems to give me some needed insight as to strength of moves or developing strengths of moves.

KC

Hey KC… nice and short, you have too many Indicators that are giving conflicting signals…confusing?

(Edit: Just noticed all these changes of direction… the same 0.00 time NY Close…Wow)

Try just two and work with a cleaner chart where the Indicators confirm each other. (Both FREE)

XLV4 Indicator = Periods 9 | Liner Weighted | Close Price | Alert ON

DiNapoli Stochastic = Periods 8 | SmoothK 3.0 | SmoothD 3.0

Stochastic Green is above the Red, Confirm - XLV4 changes to Green… BUY

Stochastic Red is above the Green, Confirm - XLV4 changes to Red … SELL

In doubt? Stay with the Stochastic signal as an Oscillator is less affected by chart noise…

Nice clean Chart with signals that work together not giving differing signals… on the D1 TimeFrame…

I don’t use MT4 so I hope this is of help…

2 Likes

Forex traders should never stop learning and adapting!

7 Likes

@Trendswithbenefits

Any particular reason you like the xlv4 better than the hull moving average? Just curious.

KC

Hi KC, no, very similar, you can use the Hull MA… Just make sure you fine tune it to get it signaling in unison with the Oscillator…

Then when they don’t, you’ll know when to sit on your hands…

Settings should be the same as XLV4.

Cheers

Absolutely mate the world never stops changing

1 Like

Why we need to adapt to survive!

2 Likes

Bingo Ringo!!! Hit the drum on the head!!

That’s why I’m flat with two eyes on the same side of my face. Picasso totally ripped me off!

KC

1 Like

Been meaning to ask you for some time now:

You a Bill Burr fan??? He’s from your neck of the woods not???

Did you hear Picasso’s wife asked him to do her portrait? He just gave her a funny look…

1 Like

I am! He’s a pretty funny guy!!

1 Like

I’d vote for him if ever ran for office!!! LOL!!!

Trading with pending orders gives you great relieve and it is much easier especially if you are not looking constantly markets. It prevent burnouts and many other issues, but again trading without stop loss even with low to no leverage is a risk you are going to take. Trading real account is totally different than DEMO!!! I can assure you will feel this and when the pain is bigger you will eventually take wrong decisions. That’s why best is to practice on live account and learn how to manage not only your trades but your emotions as well!

That’s an excellent point! :wink:

Something I’ve mentioned earlier on in the thread.

Waiting on a couple of grants and will open a micro account.

KC

Just finished the Consistent Trader by Sam Eder - I liked it. Some great intell.

Thanks @MikeWolski for mentioning it in his journal!

Less losing. That’s where winning resides. It sounds so simple that it should be dismissed. My winners can run and do well. My idea of waiting out losers with drawdown doesn’t work for me. Perhaps it would if I had very consistent/proper entries … but I don’t at this point.

SL’s must be embraced and I will follow the idea if it’s close to 50% to SL I will close due to the likelihood - which is an interesting word looking at it on the page - of turning around is minimal. I picked this idea up from either @tommor or @anon46773462. Thanks!

It’s just makes sense. It’s such a simple concept. If my winners are in the higher double and lower triple digits, cutting losers short is a no brainer. So why haven’t I done it?!! Oh yeah - I’m wicked smaht!!

It’s amazing how far down the rabbit hole I have gone!!

I truly believe - and this could be the “red pill” talking! - if I implement prudent SLs, and let winners run based on strategy discussed in this thread, trade the daily chart based on weekly trend, trading in a vacuum could be profitable. Ignore news, ignore all the “systems”, keep winners open, close losers, trade the chart.

Edit: just reread last line and It sounds like a game! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::upside_down_face:

What a head game!

KC

1 Like

Openned an account with IG US. Will be funding shortly.

Started analyzing trades using I Plotter. It’s a free tool in the Scripts section of the terminal. Similar to the tool in mt4 but it tells you the number of pips you made or lost.

I’m going to go through my biggest winners biggest losers and then take a section out of The middle as there are just too many trades to completely analyze manually.

The last line speaks to the need of keeping a journal for each trade. Doing so I may have improved on the way.

I will compare the entries and exits of the trades in addition to length of hold as my strategy developed over the course of this journal

On a quick glance I’ve held trades too Long based on no stop loss strategy and holding it until it comes back into profit.

for me this is a very poor strategy.

It also shows the true mental head game that I am … perhaps many of us … do is think we’re followng a strategy when in actuality we aren’t.

I would have sworn I was entering on certain triggers and it was far from it

A number of trades where entered into during the day when I’m supposed to be trading the close of New York session daily chart this would mean all my trade should be at the end of the day 5 Eastern standard Time or within an hour or two around that point. They we’re all over the place.

KC

Cone back and share

I’ve also learned a lot, how cute or what you say

I started a new journal for my live account.

“Live micro account trading the dailies”.

KC

Got to keep learning thanks