What I've learned so far (and continue to learn) before going live

This is one thing I have come to believe 100%.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it!

KC

I see this maniac has now stripped India if its Special Trade Status as a Developing Nation (OBVIOUSLY outside of market hours). I donā€™t know if this has been factored in already because apparently he threatened this a long time ago. But I SURE do hope this man has a plan all nicely worked out. Because if not and this is just some type of grandstanding: wellā€¦

Iā€™m going to be shorting indices for quite a while methinks.

They might use this news as the ā€œreasonā€ to bring the markets tumbling.

Read up on market cycles. Also on price to earnings ratios, earnings guidance, bond yields and options spreads, GDP and global growth projections. Assuming you want to include fundamentals into your trading. But if you want to be a purely technical trader, a breakdown of the 200 MA is quite worrisome, plus an M top on the daily pattern. At best watch for a retest of the 200 MA if it failsā€¦

thanks for the input! Iā€™ll take a look.

Tx,
KC

charts are looking good.

DD is lowest it has been in months.

FOSI is rearing itā€™s head! :open_mouth:

I must keep calm and carry on!!:laughing:

If I close all trades now I will have surpassed my original demo goal. However, as my chart reading has continued to improve and my strategy refined, I feel as thought there is more green to be seen.

Iā€™m sitting tight. The key things I have learned on this demo account has been patience. Lotā€™s of patience!! The market goes up and down and I can wait for profit. ALSO, risk management! It is critical and lies at the heart of my strategy. this is possibly the most important thing I have learned. My lot sizes range from .01-.05. There has been a couple of outliers: [email protected] and a few at .06.

I have found adding to my position has been profitable and setting limit orders has worked out well. I no longer will pull the trigger on a market order.

Still unsure of which broker I am going with for live account. Would like to settle this and do one more demo with the broker of choice.

KC

Edit: Just received confirmation that Turnkey still accepts US clients but only accepts Bitcoin and Ethereum for deposits and withdrawals. I donā€™t think I want to get involved with that right now. I donā€™t need more speculation on speculation!! :laughing:

So this has my potential broker choice as Oanda, IG Markets US, LMFX.

the two benefits with LMFX:

tighter spreads ( as a long term/swing trader may be a non-issue)

andā€¦

the margin required to open a position would be drastically reduced. ( this could be an issue as my initial deposit will be less than originally anticipated.)

Edit: Trades continue into positive territory taking profit.

1 Like

This here is tough for me. Feel like I always need to have trades up.

Whatā€™s the regulatory status of this broker in the US? Any worries there?

@mtb_rex Paitience is something I have to work on consistently. Part of my strategy came about as I considered the up downs of the market and giving away money by closing my position in a loss.

The other contributing factor is forex doesnā€™t have an expiration like options. I can put my euros in my ā€œchange jarā€ and wait for them to appreciate. I still have some USD/MXN from 12/28/18.

small lot size and no expiration, I can be very patient! :laughing:

I am sure many folks would say this is a poor strategy but it has been working for me.

LMFX isnā€™t based in the US nor regulated by the CFTC. They do accept US clients. My initial account will be very small so I wouldnā€™t be losing a significant sum if it all goes south. If I do go with them I will have to consider the whole process after intial deposit, trading and potentially a few withdrawals.

Thanks for checking out my thread,

KC

Very true, good point.

Havenā€™t heard much about LMFX, and I know IG US just launched and assumed theyā€™d try to be the most competitive on spreads, since they just entered the US and need to do something to battle the incumbents. Did you happen to check their spreads as part of your comparison?

only glanced nothing ā€œscientificā€ or in-depth.

I have watched a few no nonsense forex videos and he is a forex trader that uses Oanda. Admits spreads get crazy big during volatility. I still have to compare swap charges as I tend to hold for a while.

The key with a US broker is funding and withdrawal should be a breeze.

Well, here you have the marketing spiel:

Enjoy zero commission on your trades ā€“ the only charge is the bid-offer spread, which can be as low as 0.8 pips. Thatā€™s up to 27% lower than the top two US brokers.

I might give a demo account a look. Have only ever used Oanda on demo.

EDIT:. Make sure to notice the ā€œcan be as low asā€¦ā€. More spread info further down on the page.

Draw down sub-100. Things are heading in the right direction.

Patience. Controlling FOSI, keep calm and carry on.

KC

Edit: buckled in and the ā€œcoasterā€ has left the platform!! :nauseated_face::laughing::sunglasses:

What on earth is ā€œFOSIā€ if I may be so bold as to ask???

Itā€™s a new one on me too!!

FOSI = Fear Of Staying In - :joy::laughing:

I assume it was coined by the ā€œIā€™m up 5pips and donā€™t want to lose themā€ folks.

1 Like

I have to walk away from the charts! rrrrrrggg.

I want to close positions but I have absolutely no ā€œcloseā€ indicators showing.

All I see is full steam ahead but am always fearful of a squall. But!! With a long term tanker I usually weather those pretty well.

Going outside to wash the deck and front porch! The excitement is killing me! :grimacing::laughing:

Deck and porch came out pretty good but will still have to powerwash.

Here are my thouhts on my positions this morningā€¦

usd/mxn - 19.6244 may be a support level now taking a breather after big move up.
eur/usd - appears to be trying to chew throught supply at the 1.22 - 1.26
aud/usd - if it can break .698 level may have room to run to .700 zone
eur/nzd - if it breaks 1.700 zone may drop to 1.69 area and my hit some demand but continue down
gbp/cad - I think itā€™s in consolidation and will break to the upside unless it breaches the 1.697 level then it may drop to the 1.68 zone.

KC

Edit: usd/mxn pulling back after big move fri & monday.
All other trades moving further into profit. No exit triggers present.

Edit: 6:30pm est: gbp/usd is my biggest anchor accounts for approx -$140. but has tapped into a demand zone and could be on the way up.

Now Cuba.

I am telling you good folk over there: there is something mentally wrong with this dude.

Sorry. I shouldnā€™t be sullying your thread with this but itā€™s really going beyond a joke now. I have news on all day and night and I am actually battling to think of a country that he either has not pissed off totally or where he has not at very least pissed one or two important people in government. And it sure looks like to me that heā€™s doing this just because he can. He enjoys it. Plain and simple. Is Congress asleep at the wheel or something. Insulting politicians personally. Never have I seen or heard of this.

Better I calm down. Maybe I should get involved in one of those political threads. Which believe it or not is something I have never done nor thought of doing in my fifty three years. But thatā€™s how much this low life and uncouth piece of you-know-what is starting to get under my skin.

1 Like

no prob posting trump cards here!

Heā€™s a school yard ā€œhard guyā€ on the international stage. Once ā€œcitizens unitedā€ was affirmed by the supreme court all the corp money came flowing in. Even if he didnā€™t want to win there were others that did and here we are.

All positions moving in the right direction.

eur/usd on the move into an untested zone of weak resistance/supply.

eur/nzd broke 1.7 zone to the down side and my drop even further.

gbp/chf could be fueling for a move to the up side.

1 Like