What qualifications do I need to land a job as a Fx trader?

Forex trading is for everyone. It is true that a good idea about the financial market can help a forex trader but it is not necessary that a trader will require academic qualification in the compulsory sense. Try to get acquaintance with the forex market via demo trading accounts and other learning modules. It will help you to flourish as a trader.

this is totally wrong

did you not read the thread, or are you trying to be funny?

the discussion is about graduate entry trader trainee schemes

they donā€™t require (or expect) any trading history at all

how else are you going to apply for a graduate entry scheme?!

whatā€™s wrong with all these people who post their replies without reading the thread?!

however many times the OPā€™s question is answered, people just keep posting this irrelevant nonsense, without having read the thread?

is it supposed to be a joke, or something?

There is no value of your graduation degree without proper trading knowledge & experience.

I completely agree with you. Degree can not teach you what experience can.

Yes and thatā€™s why, the success ratio is not much high here; because traditional educational background is nothing here.

You must have some knowledge because this is the only qualification you need for doing trading in the forex market. Never start trading if you donā€™t have knowledge about the forex market. Knowledge is the first basic element required for trading.

Why not go to the source. An actual job listing:

Junior Trader (Foreign Exchange).
Bad link

I donā€™t know anything about the company, so take that as you will. The description says no trading experience necessary, but sales experience is a plus.f

1 Like

how is that possible? lol sounds like a marketing scheme to me

Yea that looks like a bad example. They look more like a training-first company than trading-first company. Sorry about that.

You have to take some knowledge and experience about the forex market. These qualifications are very necessary for forex trading. Without knowledge and experience you canā€™t be able to do a successful trade on the forex market. You also have to do some research before choosing the broker.

B you are wrong, better do some more research.

The Ever Qualified VIPER

Ala, you are wrong. In the US. No one will fund you size in Spot Currency, without series 34, and 66, and sometimes 3. No firm hires someone out of the blue, you are living in a fantasy.

The Ever Knowledgeable VIPER

You donā€™t require a professional degree to able to trade in forex. There is no requirement. All you need is an internet connection and a fast mind which can study and analyze the market. I have seen people with limited qualification conquer the field of forex trading.

An understanding of the industry hierarchy is in order.

To be considered by a bank as candidate for the trading program - yes, youā€™ll need a bachelorā€™s from a reputable university. Better to have also interned with them. You enter the program as a trainee and then to junior then senior and so on. The better traders go into the hedge funds where itā€™s more lucrative. Most of the work is client orders and then anything beyond that is where the real bonus money is made. The trainee program is cutthroat and rigorous. Most donā€™t make it. Itā€™s an advantage to be in the system, it does has an edge. If you become a capable trader and have enough capital it can be better on your own after some years trading a bank desk.

Thereā€™s also the prop trading route. Firms like Susquehanna do take young candidates out of school. Ultimately, many of the top prop shops donā€™t require a degree. What matters is your experience and are you profitable. Your trailing 24 should be strong. Thereā€™s also a echelon of different proprietary trading firms. You can literally walk in the door and ask for an interview if you have the right stuff. Prop shops are just as cutthroat, but a little less rigid.

Itā€™s good to have a strong grasp of writing code. A lot of automated quant shops.

I used to be a licensed, associated person with the NFA and then some.

The top attribute of forex trading is that you don;t need a fancy degree to be successful in forex trading. You only need a flexible enough brain that can analyze the market to your advantage. Please, donā€™t listen to people that say that you need to do a course for forex trading.

1 Like