What should newbies stop doing in order to succeed in forex? [We now have our forum giveaway winners!] šŸŽ‰

Oh myā€¦ it seems so far Iā€™ve lost pips at every stupid trap out there!

setting arbitrary stops then moving them (in the wrong direction of course)

NOT setting stops

Hopping on spurious trades becauseā€¦ reasons

Betting 10% of my capital on that infallible Ichimoku signal (although I had just started with the indicator)

Placing parallel trades on two positively correlated pairs

Andā€¦ sizing my position proportionately to my feeling towards a certain setup.

ā€¦the list could go on but I think thatā€™s enough self shaming for today!

5 Likes

Stop trading without a journal

There are a hundred things a trader shouldnā€™t do. Itā€™s tough to pick any specific one as they are all harmful to trading. But one thing a new trader definitely shouldnā€™t do is trade without a journal. Why? Because the journal will show you those hundreds of bad things you are doing so that you can stop them. Over trading, emotional trading, bad entries, bad exits, constantly changing your trading rules, over leveraging, etc. etc. can all be caught and fixed using a detailed trade journal. A good journal will show your weaknesses and strengths, giving you the opportunity to improve your trading on a continual basis. It is not just enough to journal. You then have to study the journal and make a conscious effort to improve your trading through it.

6 Likes

Have the discipline to stop trading for a little while. Come back to it after you donā€™t miss it anymore. You would be surprised.

2 Likes

Whew! Sorry for the delay! Picking winners took us quite some time.

Thanks to everyone who participated! This thread is definitely going to be a must-read for all newbies determined to succeed in forex.

Again, for those wondering, this was an EXCLUSIVE GIVEAWAY for BabyPipsā€™s TL2 and TL3 members. Two winners were chosen, one, a member with the most-liked post on this thread, and two, a winner picked by the BabyPips team.

NOW ON TO THE WINNERS.

Garnering 44 likes, our most liked post is from @giannigeez! :clap::clap:

As for the teamā€™s pick, you all gave such amazing answers, and we had a tough time picking our favorite! But after hours upon hours of deliberationā€¦

We chose @MikeWolski!

Congrats @giannigeez and @MikeWolski!

So, thatā€™s it for this giveawayā€¦

NOT!

We received soooooo many great replies, that we had to pick two more winners.

Yep, You got that right.

Two :clap: More :clap: Winners :clap:

They will receive limited edition BabyPips.com shirts, and goodie bags from us! Our lucky winners areā€¦ @johnnykanoo and @macilme!

So that just happened!

Congrats again @giannigeez, @MikeWolski, @johnnykanoo, and @macilme!

Iā€™ll be in touch with you shortly to discuss how you can receive your prizes.

We owe the success of this giveaway to everyone who shared their experiences and knowledge! You make BabyPips a great community, and we thank you for your contributions and for spending your time with us.

Donā€™t worry if you werenā€™t so lucky with this giveaway! We have more in the works, so watch out for those!

9 Likes

Congrats to all the winners @giannigeez @johnnykanoo @MikeWolski @macilme!

And a nice and warm welcome back to @johnnykanoo! Good to see you here again!!!

4 Likes

Thank you!:grimacing:

2 Likes

this gif is hilarious :joy:

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

What happened to the post by Manxx?

2 Likes

Yass!!! that helps
:slight_smile:
Thank you!!

2 Likes

Stop being so damned concentrated at everything just cause you want to be a pro very soon. Take it all like a life lesson and with relax, that way your way to the pro will become so easier I couldnā€™t even imagine how. That was my mistake initially - over perfection or so.

Congratulations!!! Well deserved folks!

1 Like

Thank you for the wise counsel. Iā€™m a newbie and itā€™s comforting to know that successful trading is a process, a journey. And consistently doing what works is what gets you to there.

2 Likes

I only trade in the Euro session.
I only trade one direction in the same period of time.
I only trade once at the session.

1 Like

very strict rules right there, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s effective. So you pretty much follow the trend, you donā€™t do counter trend trades?

What is counter-trend? We donā€™t know until the market has finished. I donā€™t predict direction.
Iā€™m a day trader.
1.Get to the S/R level.
2.Price Action.
3.A signal appears.
4.Entry
5.stoploss
6.Move S/L
It is simple.Keep simple!

2 Likes

its when you go trade against the trend, Iā€™m a day trader as well

I was informed by a poster here that my posts are too long and just full of empty wind so i obliged then by deleting it.