What should newbies stop doing in order to succeed in forex? [We now have our forum giveaway winners!] 🎉

Ah well!, looks like this is where we should all come to after graduating the Babypips School of Pipsology. I’ll Just share some of the things I’ve learned along my own Journey.

1. Accept that you’re worse than 70% of the real trading community:
You’re new, which means by extension, until you start making consistent profits, you’re part of the statistics, you belong to the 70%+ that’s losing money on a consistent basis.

2. Never avoid recording your trades, it’s the Lab you need to analyse your trading performance

3. If you’re good on Paper/Demo, you’re still worse than 70% of the real trading community:
You may not have gone life yet, in which case you’re worse than 100% of the real trading community because experience is even more valuable than your balance sheet (it’s an insurance against future losses that get’s better as you grow). This could be either good or bad, but make it good by letting this fact humble you and prevent you from thinking you’re good just because you nailed a few (or many) good trades on the demo.

4. Your first job is not learning how to make money trading Forex, it’s learning how to protect your capital:
Making money is the end goal yes, but in a field where most lose, you should focus on how to be better than the losing 70% first, then the rest will follow.

5. Your second job isn’t learning how to make money trading Forex, it’s finding a provable edge over the market:
An edge in that it let’s you win enough times to be profitable, and provable in that you can repeat the process back in time and into the future.

6. Your third job isn’t learning how to make make money trading Forex, it’s building a trading strategy around your edge.
Your strategy is required to work effectively by taking the best advantage of your edge, and ensuring you, The Trader’s profitability over the long term. This requires a number of things in sync:

(i) Optimal Leverage
(ii) Optimal Win Rate
(iii) Optimal Risk vs Reward
(iv) Positive Expectancy (a guarantee that you’ll be profitable in the long run according to your trading style)

7. Your fourth job isn’t making real money trading the Forex Market, it’s making paper money with your trading strategy for a “representative” length of time:
Representative in the sense that you have practiced it long enough to confirm that it works. (a guarantee that you’ll be profitable in the long run according to your trading style)

(i) Find a good broker (that has good enough Spreads, Commissions and Swaps to give your strategy the best chance of survival)
(ii) Trade demo with your strategy and this broker for as long as the strategy requires. There are strategies that require up to a year of implementation to guarantee profitability, there are some that require only a few months, practice your demo wisely.

8. Your fifth job isn’t putting down your full trading capital on your live trading account:
It’s putting down a “Risk Capital”, a small percentage of your actual trading balance to see how your strategy performs, Demo versus Live.

9. Only if you’ve passed steps 3 - 9, go live with your full trading capital and trade like a Pro.
Note that you should always have a “shut off” loss percentage of your account where you stop trading if things get bad.

9. If you lose more than your strategy dictates per any length of time, Stop trading and go back through steps 3 - 8 again.

10. Enjoy the fruits of your Labor :sunglasses:

18 Likes

Be patient. Study and invest time and effort.

I know I already replied, but I will reply again.

Study, study, study and study a lot. You should not be watching a tv show after work if you are not still where you want to be, there is always something new that you can add to your tool box.

Update yourself with new information, and try to follow good practices.

Trust in you, even on the hard times, that I can guarantee will come.

and last but not least, love the game, if you love the game, you can stay here longer than the average person and if you stay consistent practicing and studying, eventually you will succeed.

3 Likes

Oh my… it seems so far I’ve lost pips at every stupid trap out there!

setting arbitrary stops then moving them (in the wrong direction of course)

NOT setting stops

Hopping on spurious trades because… reasons

Betting 10% of my capital on that infallible Ichimoku signal (although I had just started with the indicator)

Placing parallel trades on two positively correlated pairs

And… sizing my position proportionately to my feeling towards a certain setup.

…the list could go on but I think that’s enough self shaming for today!

5 Likes

Stop trading without a journal

There are a hundred things a trader shouldn’t do. It’s tough to pick any specific one as they are all harmful to trading. But one thing a new trader definitely shouldn’t do is trade without a journal. Why? Because the journal will show you those hundreds of bad things you are doing so that you can stop them. Over trading, emotional trading, bad entries, bad exits, constantly changing your trading rules, over leveraging, etc. etc. can all be caught and fixed using a detailed trade journal. A good journal will show your weaknesses and strengths, giving you the opportunity to improve your trading on a continual basis. It is not just enough to journal. You then have to study the journal and make a conscious effort to improve your trading through it.

6 Likes

Have the discipline to stop trading for a little while. Come back to it after you don’t miss it anymore. You would be surprised.

2 Likes

Whew! Sorry for the delay! Picking winners took us quite some time.

Thanks to everyone who participated! This thread is definitely going to be a must-read for all newbies determined to succeed in forex.

Again, for those wondering, this was an EXCLUSIVE GIVEAWAY for BabyPips’s TL2 and TL3 members. Two winners were chosen, one, a member with the most-liked post on this thread, and two, a winner picked by the BabyPips team.

NOW ON TO THE WINNERS.

Garnering 44 likes, our most liked post is from @giannigeez! :clap::clap:

As for the team’s pick, you all gave such amazing answers, and we had a tough time picking our favorite! But after hours upon hours of deliberation…

We chose @MikeWolski!

Congrats @giannigeez and @MikeWolski!

So, that’s it for this giveaway…

NOT!

We received soooooo many great replies, that we had to pick two more winners.

Yep, You got that right.

Two :clap: More :clap: Winners :clap:

They will receive limited edition BabyPips.com shirts, and goodie bags from us! Our lucky winners are… @johnnykanoo and @macilme!

So that just happened!

Congrats again @giannigeez, @MikeWolski, @johnnykanoo, and @macilme!

I’ll be in touch with you shortly to discuss how you can receive your prizes.

We owe the success of this giveaway to everyone who shared their experiences and knowledge! You make BabyPips a great community, and we thank you for your contributions and for spending your time with us.

Don’t worry if you weren’t so lucky with this giveaway! We have more in the works, so watch out for those!

9 Likes

Congrats to all the winners @giannigeez @johnnykanoo @MikeWolski @macilme!

And a nice and warm welcome back to @johnnykanoo! Good to see you here again!!!

4 Likes

Thank you!:grimacing:

2 Likes

this gif is hilarious :joy:

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

What happened to the post by Manxx?

2 Likes

Yass!!! that helps
:slight_smile:
Thank you!!

2 Likes

Stop being so damned concentrated at everything just cause you want to be a pro very soon. Take it all like a life lesson and with relax, that way your way to the pro will become so easier I couldn’t even imagine how. That was my mistake initially - over perfection or so.

Congratulations!!! Well deserved folks!

1 Like

Thank you for the wise counsel. I’m a newbie and it’s comforting to know that successful trading is a process, a journey. And consistently doing what works is what gets you to there.

2 Likes

I only trade in the Euro session.
I only trade one direction in the same period of time.
I only trade once at the session.

1 Like

very strict rules right there, but I’m sure it’s effective. So you pretty much follow the trend, you don’t do counter trend trades?