What's the biggest trade you lost and why didn't you get out?

Was it losing and you let it run to try to win back the losses, or no SL and you just let it run?

Well I can for sure beat THAT record lol

HAHAHAHA, I like your phraseā€¦ Thats exactly what I wanted to beā€¦ Neil Armstrong of that tradeā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

I was in profitā€¦ But too confident to use a petty Stop lossā€¦ :grimacing: and then I learnt my lesson on the 4th day when all of sudden my position was in loss with my account blown offā€¦

You are not at all alone in that my friendā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

Greed is such a lucrative yet dangerous thing. Itā€™s the reason most of the traders end up overtrading, in the hope of turning losses into profits. And smaller profits into bigger ones.

1 Like

A trader who cannot control its greed can never become a successful trader.

True mate!
Emotions like greed and fear are a huge barrier to forex trading.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the worst I think. In profit which then turns into a loser trade. Hate that.

A couple of years ago Soybeans were at a low that hadnā€™t been seen since 2006, so I opened a fairly large long position (no SL). I was pumped because I was going to make a killing.

Then swine flu hit China, forcing the culling of millions of pigs, who ate tonnes of US Soybeans. Then the rains came and floods hit the Northeast US, destroying stockpiles needed for the few orders the US were still getting from China. Soybean farmers were going bankrupt, waiting for the government to step in and compensate them (as was I, so the price would reverse).

Needless to say, Soybeans prices kept falling, putting my position further and further in the red. I think it was $2-3K on that trade.

That was back in my cowboy days when I risked far too much on trades with no SL. Sometimes the best lessons are learned through the school of hard knocks.

1 Like

Indeed. That day and today, i have never opened a position without a stop loss.

Blown accounts and big losers trades are some times the best teachers. They hurt, especially if youā€™re using real money. But still, great teachers.

1 Like

One cannot learn without witnessing hard times. I agree with you completely.

I went long here expected to get a bullish reversal but it turns fatal to me, very down now, it was on standard lot.

decided to not to trade for some days to give myself space.

You set a stop loss?

I had a similar experience back in 2017. I invested in cryptos while they were at their ATM and I ignored all the signals. When the market crashed, it cost me a fortune because I had not put stop loss in action. I was new so I thought I had it in control but my ignorance costed me my savings

I believe that losses are quite normal for a trader. But again, this should not be considered correct, it should be avoided as much as possible. But naturally, I also had losses, and more than once.

Were you trading with leverage too?

I think you had to check the trend on the largest timeframes, however we see that there was a trend and there was a trend breakout. I can advice not to give up, everything happens in our life and as a trder you have to understand that this mistake teaches you a lot. Iā€™d better conduct a proper analysis and only then decide to relax for some days. This analysis will teach you how to prevent the same things in future I guess. Then when youā€™ll return try to trade on a demo account for a little bit mainly because you have to create and test new strategy in order to foresee future losses. Never give up, dude.

I once lost a little over a thousand just because Iā€™m too greedy, I guess. I understood that this was a risk, but I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, the result was negative.