What's the difference between ig.com and MT5 app?

What is the difference between having an account on the ig dot com website and downloading the windows MT5 application? Are they related to each other?

Thank you…

I’m not sure if you mean your actual IG account or their web-based trading platform.

If the former, accessing your account on their website is where you would deposit, withdraw, etc.

If the latter, both the web-based platform and MT5 should have the same info and prices but will probably have different ways of ordering, accessing and applying indicators, etc.

Any trader should know the difference between a broker and a trading platform. There is no comparison between the two.

Both of them are completely different. One is a broker and the other one is a trading platform.

MetaTrader is a software platform offered by a broker like IG for charting and trading, including algorithmic trading. MT is something of a de facto standard for forex trading it seems, but there are many options. Most brokers also offer their own web/mobile platforms.

Unless they added support recently, IG does not support MetaTrader last I checked.

I am assuming you are making a comparison between the trading platform offered by IG and MT5. In that case, one consideration should be whether you want to use EA. You will realize it is difficult to run EAs on platforms other than MetaTrader.