What's the most popular language for Expert Advisors?

I’m a developer by trade. One thing I’ve been doing while I’ve been trading myself is writing little indicators for myself and other people in Pinescript on TV. I have this long term goal of starting a side business in the long term - maybe in a year or two - writing trading software for other people. Either custom scripts that automate people’s personal trading strategies, or EAs of my custom trading strategies.

I am good at Pinescript at this point, and I know Python from on the job. I’ve been playing around with writing Python scripts using Oanda’s V20 API. What about MQL? Do I have to learn another language?

I eventually want to write full blown EAs. What is the most popular language to do this in? Python or MQL? I mean ‘popular’ in terms of people are shopping around for EAs written in that language? I guess I’m trying to evaluate whether I need to start learning MQL at this point or if I can make do with the languages that I already know.

Thanks.

Hi @redmond007, C++ (MT4/5) is still possibly the most common language because of its highly developed API.

Followed by C# (Ctrader 3.3) which is cleaner code, unfortunately the API lacks the scope of C++.

Both relatively easy (for a programer) to code EA’s in, just depends on how complicated you want your strategy to be…

1 Like

it is almost two years already, do you now write codes in MQL ?

I am, I have done a few for myself and others. I still have not figured out how to turn it into a business.

1 Like

you will have to create a profile in the marketplace