When do you call yourself a 'trader'?

I’m just curious to see people’s responses really. I’ve been trading Forex on and off for the past 7 or 8 years, and I’ve never thought of myself as a trader. But I’m getting there. I’ve always been someone who is “trying to be a trader” in my own mind. With greater confidence and results however, even if I have another full-time job and other pursuits in life - I am finally starting to think of myself as a trader.

What do you think? What do you say to someone when describing “who you are” or “what you do”? TBH, there are only a handful of people in my life that have any idea that I am doing this. I have always found it difficult to explain to people not in this field, what it is.

I rarely tell anyone I trade the markets. Unless they’re a trader. And I think even some of them don’t believe me.

I’ll call myself a trader when I have an active trade with real money. I might be only an amateur trader or a part-time trader at that point, but I’ll still be a trader.

Once I get to trading full time for a living then I’ll just tell people I’m retired.

1 Like
  1. When you are profitable on a consistent basis

2. Never tell anyone except Clients or your Broker/Clearinghouse, especially don’t tell family members.

The Ever Silent VIPER

PS Why do you think I use an Avatar,
1 Clients don’t like me using my name
2 Community at large
3 Family

1 Like

you are a trader when RT’s finally give up and give you all their monies to trade for them for a percentage of the profits :slight_smile: Mikey said the funniest ■■■■ on twitter today, he lost track of how long he has been killing it LOL! 3.7 seconds so far is his record! :slight_smile:

the trader is all about that one time , he knows where why and when

That clearly makes you a trader.

It doesn’t make you a good trader, though: it makes you a good marketer.

You’d know.

1 Like

someday you’ll be a good trader, dont give up!

I’m retired :smiley: NFP be ready!@