Why did my Stop Loss get triggered? (Picture)

Hi! I cant understand why my stop loss got triggered. This is cTrader platform, demo account. Trying to learn. Anyone able to help out?

I’m sorry it’s kind of hard for me to figure out where your trade was placed since it doesn’t have visible markings. Can you tell us what type of trade (long/short), where did you place your (TP/SL) & what was your price entry?

I am sorry for providing so little information.

You see a green triangle - thats my entry on this short position. Followed by a green line into another green triangle, which was my stop loss that got triggered. (I moved stop loss to slight profit when price went my way, that is why stop loss is below entry on the short position.)

As you can see price is well below my triggered stop loss. Is is not even a wick up into my stop loss. I thought it would be impossible for the stop loss to get triggered without being able to watch the price/candle/wick actually triggering it.

I’m now on phone so I can find more information on the computer tomorrow when I am home again, if need be.

Perhaps this?

Ok give me the numerical value of where was your ENTRY. Give me the numerical value of your TP & your SL so I can confirm what I’m looking at on the chart (cause i thought your dotted black line was your SL).

Could it be a wide spread where the ask price has triggered the stop loss ?

2 Likes

I was thinking the same probably a wider spread.

Yeah 10 pip spread would do it .
I’ve seen like 20+ pips on ICmarkets and other major brokers at times on ecn accounts. And 30-40+ on spread betting accounts.bet there LP’s ain’t nothing near that.

Haha who are you telling mate I remember I wanted to enter a trade last week and saw a mighty 17 spread and said its not worth it.

1 Like

I bet if he looked at the price it actually stopped him out at there is slippage also, just to take the p**s even more.

If you are facing this issue consistently; just use buffer; I mean, few pips more to set your SL.

most of the data feeds are set to a default that will not show the high ask and low bid

most brokers have this option to adjust on the price overlay

if you do have the option in your charts then you’ll see the stop out

yes without reading this whole thread it most likely was due to a low volume and wide spread scenario

their computers are good at doing this

learn from this

This is btw on a Pepperstone ECN account.

Thanks everyone for pitching in. The one thing I definately have learned if the spread stopped me out is to not have 10-20 pip positions open over weekend trading session break, to avoid this happening again.

I’ll look into it once I’m back on the computer see if this is correct.

I experienced this sort of thing with my previous broker. It happened a few times and I hate it that it lost so much. It is totally not acceptable for spreads to widen up to 20+; that is a killer. I fugured it’s probably the platform I use so I switched to Forexchief broker since then and I am yet to see spreads widening like mad over there.

Wow 20 pips. Didn’t realize this was a common issue.

Hi Ben,

Just stepping in to confirm that this is caused by the fact that SL for Short positions is triggered by the Ask price, hence the discrepancy in the chart. Worth noting that in cTrader you have the feature to trigger the stop loss on opposite direction as well, bid price in this case.

Regards,

Panagiotis

What about during big news movements; have you noticed any issues with the spreads on the Forexhchief mt4?

Not really. Forexchief spreads does not widen during those hours as much as I experienced with instafx. And platform does not freeze. So I think one is safe during those hours.