Why Is It So Difficult to Move Your Stop-Loss to Breakeven and Beyond

Can you please explain the logical ways you move your stop to breakeven?

I do use ATR BTW, what period do you use? The default 14?

I also use higher TF to find the support and resistance like if on a H4, then find support and resistance there (and i check the D1 also just to be sure) and then i fine tune these support and resistance levels on lower TF i trade on, but that way i have the extreme levels can say of top and bottom

1 Like

It’s a bit complicated because it is related to “call to the banker” aka stop hunting. It’s logical to move stop to BE once you have assumed that the stop hunt already happened. The challenging part here is as I said, “assumed”. So yeah, you need some experience to assume either it happened or not yet.

It depends because I am not sure what type of trader are you (swing trader? day trader? etc). But, you can tweak the period by using this simple logic. You need to identify how long does your trade usually last? Let’s say if your trade usually lasts for 7 days, then set the ATR to 7, and measure using the daily timeframe (you can use other timeframe also but you need to multiply/divide based on how many candles it has). If you’re day trader, 1 trading session usually last around 8 hours, maybe you can set ATR to 8, then measure it on hourly timeframe? I hope you get the idea. It’s just a rough gauge after all but still logical.

I’m much closer to a scalper, even though I’m not scalping per se. My timeframe is M1. What ATR period would you suggest for that?

Go check how long does your trade lasts on average and then use that number to measure it on 1 minute timeframe.

So for instance if my average trade takes 5 minutes, then the ATR would be?

So for instance at my 1-minute timeframe I’ll do this?

If my average trade takes 5 minutes: then ATR(5)
If my average trade takes 10 minutes: then ATR(10)

Is that what you’re saying?

1 Like

What is your SL on the higher timeframes? Probably in the order of 10X that required on 1M, therefore 50pips on 4H can equate to 5pips on 1M.
I wouldn’t say I’m 100% scalper as on trending days 50pt runners can and do happen - especially on the indices. Also, what can be called a trend on 5M and 1M will seem like a range on higher timeframes. Very often a range day on the 5M produces nice micro trends on the 1M.

You don’t need to wish me luck - I’ve been trading lucky for more than 15 years.

@Johnny1974 I really have no idea what you are talking about, and i never ever enter a trade unless i can make minimum 3 pips for each pip i risk, its that simple.

I think you totally misunderstand me, so i give it one more try.

I find the trade possibility on a higher TF in this case it was on H4 and then i go to M5 or M15 or M30 to fine tune my entry for the trade like here ( see screenshot) but the trade i did came from H4 in this case and i did enter the trade on M15.

The trade on M15

I did find the trade here on H4

@Mookmik
Yes perhaps wires got crossed a bit. Nothing wrong with ‘Top down analysis’ - but a 3:1 RR is almost impossible to maintain a profit - most professional traders work with less than 1:1 RR, obviously a higher than 50% strike rate is required. Anyway, we seem to have drifted off the OP’s thread somewhat, my apologies.

Here’s your 50pts for today on Nasdaq 1M TF - entry at 17810 (18:07 uk time) exit 17860 (18:30)

Here’s the 5M - see how much neater the above 1M is -

And using my system, entry would have been later at 17820 and exit would be 17840 (massive 30pts difference)

I set 3 tp targets. Take 1/3 at 1st target 1/3 at 2nd then move sl to tp1 then last 3rd let it run if it goes beyond 3rf tp moving sl to 2nd tp target. If it turns on me I close out at the last tp target attained

2 Likes

I am not thinking about how others trade etc, if i did that then i get “noise on the line”, I have my trading plan and that plan i follow each day like if it was a c/p thing to do :laughing: :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is a trade from yesterday (Thursday) and that trade was just about a 5:1 RR on a 15 min TF, and i did choose to close the trade, because it started to struggle with a support level, but anyway these kind of trades happen often, so as i said earlier, then i never ever enter a trade unless i can make minimum 3 pips for each pip i risk and no i not say all my trades go my way, no system is 100% ( that will also be boring when thinking about it :sweat_smile: )

We each have our own way of trading and that in itself can be like two new languages ​​clashing together :sweat_smile: because the way you trade cannot be compared to my way of trading, and it means nothing, as long as we have the positive “glasses” on and are happy with what we do and how we trade :slightly_smiling_face:

i wont let it hit my stop loss ,i manually stop loss once things turn bad ,because i know someone out there is watching my stop loss level.

I have a question. If you’re not going to let the price hit your stop-loss, why wouldn’t you place your stop-loss where you’re comfortable with it getting hit to begin with?

2 Likes

I am a day trader.

I am selective in the trades I take to the point if I don’t have the right setup, I won’t force a trade.

It is better to have no trade than a non-profitable trade. I hate spending the next day’s trade just to make up a loss.

I am looking for a minimum Risk 1/ Reward 2. (Looking for 2 times my stop.)

To accomplish that I need to see a potential 1 to 4/5 run to my first speed bump.

This gives me the confidence that my 1 to 2 will be hit. I use supply /demand levels and reversal levels for this.

When the 1 to 2 is hit I take 50% off. I set a target so that it is not objective.

Now my trade is safe. If my stop is hit, I still make money. (1 to 1)

My next target is at 1 to 3 taking the next 25% off.
That is when I move my stop to B/E + 2. A good day.

Lastly, the final 25% is my runner. (icing on the cake) I will move my stop up as I see logical levels (objective). My target is set at a level that I think price will have a hard time breaking thru.

Eventually my target or my stop will take me out. All is good.

That being said, if I have the correct setup, but no where for it to go (1 to 4/5), then I will pass on the trade.