Why people think trading is gambling

It is quite easy to mistake it as a gambling because for the common people, they think it is one way that you are losing money and also, people are not aware how trading mechanics work in forex market.

Unfortunately, people consider Forex to be a game, and often it is trite that it can lead to the fact that a trader will end up with a negative result of his work.

1 Like

I had a friend, who’s working in Revolut, so like finance institution, while I’m working in a broker company and we had a long discussion about trading being a gamble. THe way he sees it - if you’re investing - then you’re a trader, not a gambler.

But as for forex - meaning speculating on a price - that’s a gamble for him. I do partially agree. It is seems like a gamble at first, when you’re getting the hang of it. But then you start analyzing and that’s where it gets more interesting.

Hell, even poker at some point (if you play well and long enough) also becomes not only a gamble.

I think that it’s the most spread mistake of massive conscience. Trading isn’t a gambling at least because it can bring your good money in perspective, while gambling in perspective will leave you without anything. Maybe, the proccess of gaining money and eagerness of gaining them is somehow similar to gambling, but this activity requires in couple of times more resources, time, knowledge, skills and experience in comparison with gambling. Gambling is actually a disease which is admitted by leading psychologists, while trading is admitted as the way to get good money, but you have to stake your personal time. I guess that gambling doesn’t require lots of knowledge, only luck and skill in a particular game.

Those who have little knowledge about trading consider trading as gambling. Trading depends on discipline and quantity. And with the right strategy, 95% profit potential can be created by analysis.

Oh man I did this before terrible idea and affected my trading mindset :sleepy:

1 Like

It’s those selling it as a get rich scheme doing the damage too

Most organised religions oppose gambling. Which for me is one good reason to gamble.

1 Like

And yet at the same time each of them says ;

"This religion is the only one which is true and therefore you should gamble your immortal soul that we know best how you should achieve true access to ‘The afterlife’ "

:wink:

“… Oh and we act as your broker - so - give us 10% !..” :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

In general, I would advise you not to pay much attention to public opinion. At the very least, it should be understood that this may lead to not the most positive conclusions.

When a person trades for excitement or social proofing reason, it is likely they are trading in a gambling style, rather than in a methodical and tested way. Trading the markets is exciting it links the person into a global network of traders and investors with different ideas, backgrounds, and beliefs.

1 Like

Trading is not gambling,its worse

Most people think that trading is a gambling just because of the fact that they see only the outer facet of this activity. They don’t know how a trader works and how they analyse the market and come to this or that decision. The only thing that people see on different videos or photos is when a trader clicks buy/sell button and gets the profits right after it. It actually reminds me of the common perception of an artist or a poet. People only see that a poet is writing down a poem but they don’t see the whole process of composing this piece of art.
More than that, there are lots of traders who come to the market with the idea that all they have to do is to click the ‘right’ buttins and they end up with no money in the pocket and a strong idea that forex market is scam and that it is impossible to earn the profits there eventually.

People think trading is gambaling because they gamble with their money, without understanding how the market works. Forex doesn’t make you rich in days; it’s a serious business and one should research and practice it before betting their money.

Trading is based on evidence while gambling relies more on luck. Of course nothing is ever guaranteed in trading, but we can do things like watching the news, technical and fundamental analysis, etc. to make more informed decisions.

Poker, Backgammon, Trading - ?

All pure probability combined with randomness !

1 Like

Dumb thoughts…

Space of outcomes is known in poker and other similar games while in trading it is much more complicated.

Stock market trading is not like a dice game, but gambling is a zero-sum game of playing the odds. To trade or invest in stocks, traders examine historical data and analyse existing data. Trading, unlike gambling, has no definitive winner or loser. As a result, trade is not a form of gambling.

If you profit=trading
If you lising=gambling