Why traders have setups with multiples monitors

Hey, im new here , im past the 226/347 on the school of pips.
I have this question about why do traders always have setups with multiples monitors 3-4 isn’t using a laptop enough ?

Yes, a laptop plus a scan disc that would duplicate and save your important items are the basic needs. However, a duplicate laptop could prevent disaster if your first laptop fails right in the middle of a daily trade - and with no stop loss in place.

Same with power cuts and loss of Internet - the list goes on. I have three laptops, one a mini so I can take it to another power site if needed. I also have a monitor which can be set to show a different screen than my laptop e.g. fundamental news items.

With computerised trading, it only takes a black swan event to create havoc - and as I’m risk adverse by nature, I aim to minimise any losses.

3 Likes

yes you are right you never know what might happen , i think it might also be useful in case you have multiples positions open , to keep track of all of them at once

It’s all about real estate, screen real estate. Instead of switching between different tabs and browser windows, to see different charts, or data, or notes, everything is there in one view. All you need to do is move your eyes left and right, up and down. Not necessary, but a nice-to-have.

1 Like

Definitely this.

Also I feel like the psychology there is strong. Like when you change to your workout clothes before working out, having a decent trading setup kind of puts you in that right frame of mind I feel like. But of course, like what @dudebro said, it’s absolutely not necessary. Just like workout clothes are not.

1 Like

thank you for your answers , yes having a trading setup must be nice .
and i think its for someone with enough experience to keep track 3-4 assets or pairs at the same time

I think many do it just for show off. One monitor is enough since, one can open multiple windows. Unless you are using more than one broker who offers same platform. In that case you need another laptop to login to both brokers platform at the same time.

1 Like

Setiing up multiple computers or screens actually saves time but it depends as you should do what suits you. Personally, I don’t like spending my hard earned money on multiple screens. I personally use one laptop and that too not very expensive. Simple laptop but I keep it limited to forex trading only and it gives me great results.

If you see youtubers with fours screens with four large charts - that’s a joke :wink:
You don’t need them. BUT… if you look at professional trading floors you always see multiple screen stations. If this is your full time job and you need to execute multiple strategies / trades per day, then you need speed. Speed to scan through order flows, charts, news, market reactions, probably some feed from Bloomberg/Reuters. If you are a regular trader, who jumps in few times per day or use daily/hourly charts, most likely you won’t feel much difference from having more screens.

Personally I use two screen setup, as I need it for work so use it also for forex activities. Still I trade from single screen and use two to have MQL editor on one and MT4 on second :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is mostly done by experienced traders especially scalpers since they need to keep a track of various events and announcements every minute. Any news or event has an immediate effect on the price and market volatility.

I agree with you but since Toniio is a beginner as he just completed his school of pipsology part so we can’t recommend him to use multiple screens looking at his current stage. He is someone who just will practice and one laptop is enough for that matter.

Never really gave this a thought, about a hardware issue. Especially if you have open trades and need to get in or out, another “system” as a backup is so important. Worst case, you use your mobile device to pull up a browser if another computer or laptop aren’t possible.

Thanks for getting the brain working!

I appreciate having two monitors because it allows me to look at my spreadsheets and trade data on one while having charts open on the other.

I’m browsing Facebook, watching videos on YouTube, and reading Quora on my primary monitor, while the markets are displayed on a secondary monitor.

I’m not a full-time trader but I work on my computer a lot and having two monitors is so helpful in organizing my “spaces.” When I do trade, I like being able to see the chart while also reading about something related to that stock/pair! :slight_smile:

Not sure though about those with 4 monitor setups. I think those are just… unnecessary lol. But might be working for them who knows.

1 Like

Sounds about right. Maybe some traders are much more comfortable in having 4 monitors, but I always prefer having 2 side by side. One to focus on my trading and another that I can check on something like tradingview or news like you mentioned.

1 Like

It’s a luxury that helps my workflow. I don’t just trade so I like to have a screen open with some charts on while I am able to work on other projects. As mentioned, not essential but makes my life easier.

So you can easily see more than one market

You can monitor more information ie have different TF of the same pair but not cropped down .
The fuller the screen the better I read price action anything more than two is for show maybe lol

Exact same!