Why we need more (good) female traders

Ps: another female forex trader who has been on these forums a while is 301 Moved Permanently .

There are a few others, some of whom new, like Sarah12(?), but a few,.unfortunately, join the stream of
short-lived newbies who come and go in quick succession

Women in Forex – Raghee Horner: “Balance is about juggling… success is about flow”

Thank you. :slight_smile: I have this thread on my favorite bar and I am a frequent visitor to this thread, i may not comment most of the times but i am reading all the posts in this thread. Simply love reading them. :slight_smile: Yes i did see PipnRoll, she is classy.

I am grateful for your feedback! Thank you so much… I am glad you enjoy reafimg this thread!

Hello traders…

Just as we all thought that ***ism in society and in the financial sector was a thing of the past, a case like this reminds us that we have a long and difficult road ahead, even in our ‘equal’ society, even in 2015:

City bankers ‘bid’ for good-looking women, claims female trader in *** discrimination case - Telegraph

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/city-trader-seeks-35m-from-us-bank-alleging-***ist-behaviour-drove-her-out

women could have such a tonic influence on the markets, why are there so few women traders? Why are women not pushing their way onto the trading floors, and why are banks and hedge funds not waving them in? Women make up at most 5 percent of the traders in the financial world, and even that low number includes the results of diversity pushes at many of the large banks. The most common explanations ventured for these numbers are that women do not want to work in such a macho environment, or that they are too risk averse for the job.

Thank you for your contribution, Oliver!

It is a difficult question that you answer; as a discussion point, I am going to change some of your answer, and represent it as follows:

[I]“why are there so few [B]black[/B] traders? Why are [B]black traders[/B] not pushing their way onto the trading floors, and why are banks and hedge funds not waving them in?”[/I]

And again, with a further change:

[I]“why are there so few [B]gay[/B] traders? Why are [B]gay traders[/B] not pushing their way onto the trading floors, and why are banks and hedge funds not waving them in?”[/I]

The point of re-writing these statements is that for every one of those groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBT) you could ask the same questions, and indeed get a huge variety of answers: some feminists are
against ‘pink quotas’ in companies, for example, while others agree that without tangible targets by
companies it will all be too vague and companies will not commit to change.

Certainly, ‘women’ have not stopped pushing, just like ‘black’ and ‘gay’ individuals: what is often the
problem here, is that the worst examples of marginalisation from certain positions in companies show
how groups who enjoy privileged status will use subtle tactics to undermine people who are outside that
group, so it is not the fault of the individuals who try to get into the ‘inner circle’, but rather it is the fault
of the ‘inner circle’ who fear change and loss of control over keeping the circle closed.

In other words: there is no shortage of women talent in the financial sector, but until they will be seen as
second best or ‘not fitting in’, then even the best women will go unnoticed: the glass ceiling will continue
to exist for them, as for the other groups that I mentioned.

That is just one view, of course, but I strongly believe that positive action (e.g. quotas) would force
companies to change, as the egalitarian idea that it is ‘up to women’ has not really worked, thus far.

Ha ha ha =) Never thought that female trading would be a problematic issue

It depends what sort of females you trade: unfortunately human trafficking remains very problematic, even in the 21st Century.

I’d be grateful for the details of your time-travel-machine supplier, please: I’m curious, myself, about what the 1970’s were like …

Has anyone mentioned women driving car yet?))

Yes - lots of national motoring organisations, some insurance companies and some clinical psychologists have noticed, analysed and acted on the fact that we’re statistically much lower-risk drivers for both fatal and minor accidents. But thanks for asking. :34:

It will not help. Every logical connection breaks down by many men when women take the reins.
It is never ending discussion.

I am neutral, just for the case :smiley:

I’ll just carry on enjoying the discount my car insurance company gives to female drivers, then, because in their objective, fact-informed world of commercial reality, we’re a safer bet.

Hello traders!

I was following up on Dalal Belghitti’s lawsuit against her former employer, and I saw that she has now dropped it; whatever her reason (my guess is that the mental strain that she was already under meant that she could not face the added stress of what may have been a long fight with no guarantees of success), the problem at the firm she was at (Jefferies) will now probably remain unresolved, or risks going unchallenged anyway… These people who stand up for dignified treatment, who raise their hand when they are clearly being penalised for being women, are very much needed if the City wants a culture shift.

In this article from just three days ago, Rachel Savage looks at the issue of ***ism in financial sectors, quoting also some good practice to eradicate it (like at Deutsche Bank):

https://www.the-pool.com/life/work/2015/39/is-the-city-***ist

Until BabyPips’ software will disallow the word ‘s e x i s m’, any article containing that word will have a broken

link!

If you want to read the above article from The Pool, please just click on the link and then go to the URL box

to change the three asterisks back to ‘s e x’ (with no gaps).

What a palava!

:slight_smile:

Hello traders, the Women of Wall Street’s 2015 winners are yet to be announced; in the meantime, take a look at those from 2014, which include traders, senior managers, etc.:

2014 Honorees - Traders Magazine

Great stuff…

In this report by Brooke Masters, published by

the Financial Times on 15th Sep. 2015, we see

once again how a pay gap and a particular work

culture in the financial sector negatively affect women

and act as a barrier:

http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca7c97f6-4a7b-11e5-b558-8a9722977189.html

Hello traders!

I hope you found Brooke Masters’ report of interest…

And now, for something a little bit lighter-touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wST8FHUJVZA

A healthy antidote to the ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ male bias…

:slight_smile:

[B]Clara Guibourg[/B], online writer for [B]City A.M.[/B], wrote this article two days ago:

[B]“Powerful women in the City: From Helena Morrissey to Pinky Lilani, these are the most influential women in finance and business”.[/B]

The article is quite short, but it is followed by a list (with rankings) of

[B] eighty-nine (yes, 89) influential women[/B] in finance who are active

in the City (that is, London’s financial heart); a lot of names will be unknown,

probably, but some may be within the sphere of public awareness already.

With leaders such as these, there is a little bit of hope for women in finance after all!

:7:

Powerful women in the City: From Helena Morrissey to Pinky Lilani, these are the most influential women in finance and business | City A.M.

Women are working good in all fields of life .In forex they can work easily and safely . Even housewives can do their own business with forex. They use their free hours in trading for earning something . Women are good traders . There is no difference of performance if they are passionate to do forex , they can do as good as men are doing.